Do tall golfers need longer sticks?

V

vkurup

I am just shy of 6ft and use off the peg clubs. My mate is about 6'2 and is starting to look at new clubs. He has got in his head that he needs longer clubs due to his height. He does not have a HC and yet to break 100.

Q: Does a 6'2 need longer clubs or will it only end up making it more difficult to hit?

D

Deleted member 15344

6'2" is prob just on the edge of standard - I think from last weeks Ping Demo the standard was from 5'7 to 6'1 so would be worth him just checking

Looking at the chart again Ping suggest a 1/4"

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot will depend on things like swing path. The only accurate way is to get your mate to hit some balls of an impact board and see. It should be possible to change the shaft as per the Ping chart LP posted which in my opinion would be a better way to go than longer clubs which may be harder to control. I'd speak to a pro and get their advice

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Much depends on how long your arms are.
Standard height golfers with short arms sometimes need longer clubs.

If you get three different heighted people standing in a row with their arms by their sides you will find that their fingertips are usually the same height from the floor.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
6ft2 here and using standard length. Recently tried most major brands at demo days etc and only Taylor Made suggested anything different from standard (Plus 1/2 inch).

As mentioned it depends on his arm length and how he swings.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im 6 2" and on my ping fitting i had better results with standard length and 2 degrees up. Saying that my old Nike clubs were 1/4" longer as standard and i hit those ok.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

If you get three different heighted people standing in a row with their arms by their sides you will find that their fingertips are usually the same height from the floor.

Quite correct. I have two mates, one 6'3" another 5'9". When we stand side by side their hands are a similar distance from the ground. I'm 6'0" and my hands reach a couple of inches lower, because of my short legs & long arms, meaning I need my standard length clubs lying flat by 4º. If you lengthen standard clubs you mess up the swing weights. It's a fallacy that taller players need longer clubs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite correct. I have two mates, one 6'3" another 5'9". When we stand side by side their hands are a similar distance from the ground. I'm 6'0" and my hands reach a couple of inches lower, because of my short legs & long arms, meaning I need my standard length clubs lying flat by 4º. If you lengthen standard clubs you mess up the swing weights. It's a fallacy that taller players need longer clubs.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion when the majority of tall golfers are custom fit they end up with longers irons. Yes there are some exceptions to the rule but invariably if you are 6'3 or taller invariably you will be fitted with shafts that are longer than standard

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how you come to that conclusion when the majority of tall golfers are custom fit they end up with longers irons. Yes there are some exceptions to the rule but invariably if you are 6'3 or taller invariably you will be fitted with shafts that are longer than standard

With you on that one. I can play with standard clubs, any taller player can. But they feel uncomfortable and I find it restricts my swing as I am hunched over the ball.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 6'4 and my measurements are 1/2" long and 2º upright, all depends on the person and what they feel comfortable with, I like to grip down slightly so feel better having slightly longer shafts

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As with others who have already posted I am nearly 6'3" and have longer irons following a custom fit.

This is the 2nd set I have had that are longer (both TM sets) but recalling back to the first set I had a set of regular length clubs before that and switching to the longer set really did make a significant difference for me.

I tended to hit toe down every time compenstaing for the length and ended up with a really bad slice. I know its not the only reason I was slicing but it made it difficult to do anything else. Nearly gave the game up but decided to persevere and it was a 'light bulb' moment for me once it was explained what was happening and how longer clubs might help.

While your mate may not yet have a handicap he may find that a set of the right length for him helps with his consistency and gives him the mindset to carry on - it did for me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

This, I am 6ft 2 but would normally suit standard length clubs as I have long arms. I think it is the measurement from wrist to floor that matters (as well as other things). That said, my clubs are longer as the longer club helps with my posture and takes pressure off my bad back.

mikepops

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm 6ft3in, and for me the biggest thing is having them a touch more upright. At the recent PING GM fitting, I went from 2* to 4* upright, sticking at 1/2in longer.

I already feel much more comfortable over the ball, and they seem to be having a positive impact on the course.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
With you on that one. I can play with standard clubs, any taller player can. But they feel uncomfortable and I find it restricts my swing as I am hunched over the ball.

How can that be, a wedge is a lot shorter than a driver but you don't feel "hunched up" when hitting a wedge. My 6'3" mate has just got rid of his longer than standard clubs & swears he'd hitting better than ever.