Do i need new clubs?

benjamin

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all, first post here.

I started playing golf around 5 years ago for 2 years and got to about 16/18 handicap, had a break for the last few years and started again this week....cant believe how alien everything felt! Anyway i played the last 4 days running and hit 105, 99, 96, 92 on our local Muni (71 par).

Sorry if im waffling here but trying to give as much info as possible.

My kit at present is Titleist 905T Driver, Taylor Made Burner 3W, Wilson Deep Red 3-SW fatshaft Irons, Cleveland 52deg wedge howson 60deg wedge.

My good friend who got me started with golf and taught me what i know now plays off around 8/10 is saying that i need better irons at this stage of my golf as the wilsons i have will be holding me back....im not so sure and would love some opinions from you guys where my irons stand so to speak with regards to handicap, i'm guessing in a few weeks time i will be playing off around 18 the way i am picking it back up, so do i need to change my clubs at that standard or will they see me down to low teens or beyond handicap wise?

I was leaning towards agreeing with him but after reading what i can find on tinternet about the deep reds i am not so sure.

Any thoughts welcomed

Thanks in advance

Ben

The19thHole

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Ben and welcome.

Perhaps you do need new clubs. Maybe getting a custom fitted new set could tell you a bit more about your swing and game as well ie. swing speed, club head speed and spin etc.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My good friend who got me started with golf and taught me what i know now plays off around 8/10 is saying that i need better irons at this stage of my golf as the wilsons i have will be holding me back

I don't agree. I knew a lad a few years ago who used these down to 4. If they have shortened or ladies shafts or something, then yes.

In fact, I'd go further and say a nice set of forgiving irons like this would be ideal.

Then again, I'm not an expert.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you've improved your game by 13 shots in 4 rounds,why the need to change ?
I've never heard of a GI set of irons holding somebody back,how could they ?
Stick with what you've got,if your suddenly in the money in the future,then treat yourself,but your obviously playing well with your present irons.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I know a couple of half decent players that use those irons. They don't seem to do them any harm. The 905 I believe is a bit of an alright driver. But maybe for the better players?

What are your stats like? If you're over 34 putts per round, perhaps a flat stick fitting is in order? FIR?

I understand 'shiny stick syndrone', I have it at the mo with the 910, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(Clause) I'm not an expert, but the above is what I'd consider before changing / spending money.

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
Wilson deep red fatshafts are a great forgiving club which will be more than good enough for now.

I used them for years and still play with the 1 or 2 iron in the bag :) :) :)

Re-grip em and rip um ;)

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Need is never the question with new clubs, they don't improve your game but if custom fit shouldn't make it any worse either. Need..no,... want?? oh yes we've all been there, GO FOR IT. :D ;)

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
I would say you don't need new clubs especially after only a week of being back playing. As others say wanting a new set is a completely different thing. I would personally say stick with what you have for now at least and maybe have a lesson of two and take things from them. If you want any advice with anything just send me an email through my blog as I am not far from you.

benjamin

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great replies chaps, seems like ive stumbled upon an awesome site! :)

Ill try to reply to all the posts with one big one....

Re custom fitting, this is something im very interested in, in the future and what my friend recommends aswell as some of you. It makes sense to have clubs adjusted to your swing/height etc.

It is nice to hear from some of you that you know these clubs/people with them that they are forgiving but you dont lose anything with them being GI clubs....(i dont know what GI means) but some have played with these down to low handicaps would say there isnt a lot wrong with them.

Im wasnt looking to change these clubs like next week or anytime really soon but was considering it in a 2/3 months depending what happens with money/swing especially after being sold on the idea by my friend saying it would instantly knock shots off my game. I would also wait a while for the reason as some of you say i am back to golf only a week, I am TRYING to swing really slowly at present to try to identify what i am doing wrong on the bad shots whereas my old swing was quite fast when i had my eye in, so custom fit wouldnt be ideal just yet i realise that.

Re my driver, its a Titleist 905T 10.5 degree with a Tour Accuracy&Distance Graphite Design YS-6+R shaft.(gobbledygook to me but you fellas might now it)
My friend says it is a bit good for my standard aswell but i do get on reasonably well with it to be fair, i probably hit that more consistently than my irons,
however when i dont make a nice shot with it i only get 60-80 yards so i guess it isnt too forgiving, i would say i hit it well 6/7 times well and i get between 250 and 280 yards with a slow swing, whereas i used to get 280-310 with my faster swing, i find when i hit it fast now i spoon it more often, even when i connect nice im lucky to get 10 yards more so it seems pointless at present trying to murder it.

Do you guys think its too "pro" for me? and i would benefit from changing to a more forgiving driver?

Re putting, Hmm at a guess i would say i have about 38-40 putts a round so far as that is one thing i have really lost a feel for i struggle with distance/reading line and hitting the direction i want probably doesnt help as my friend lent my putter to someone a while ago and im sharing his although his is a nicer putter than my old one, so maybe a custom fit for a putter could be good, What does FIR mean please?

I never thought of regripping my fatshafts that could be a good idea i guess as they are now ~5 years old, i will look into this, what grips would you recommend?

Thanks for your support and offer of help too Jason, i see you're in Hoylake, not too far from me and the company im self employed for is based there. Currently work is very dry and i am pretty much penniless but when i do get work it tends be a nice lump of semi disposable income which is another reason i was considering a new set of clubs in the nearish future. Lessons are a very good suggestion indeed but i am struggling for money to pay the measely £10 per round right now to get out and play just my local Municipal.

How much are golf lessons btw and would they help my game much?

I will be sure to email you Jason so thanks for that.

Re shiny stick syndrome, hehe i like that phrase, yes there is a touch of that in me, but moreso in my firend he is an awful tinkerer of buying new stuff and likes to try and get me to when he is.

Anyway im sorry for the million questions and mahoosive post but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks again to all who replied and im happy to have joined such a great forum.

Cheers :D

Ben

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your game will be changing rapidly as you get used to playing again, your irons are only 5 years old and money is tight. Go on Youtube and see how to fit new grips, then go on Ebay and buy yourself a decent set of grips.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another welcome to the forum Ben :)

GI = Game Improvement. GI irons normally have wider soles and a larger cavity at the back with most of the weight around the outside of the club head. That makes them more forgiving on off centre hits. They usually also have more offset ie. the club head is set back from the line of the shaft.

FIR = Fairways In Regulation. Just how often your tee shots find the fairway.

As for grips, it's really a matter of preference although I don't think you can go wrong with Golf Pride Tour Velvet. They're around £3 each if you want to do them yourself (really easy) or a pro shop might fit a set of 8 for about £40.

You have a really nice driver there. I'd stick with it if you hit 6/7 good ones, especially as the more you get back into the game the better your ball striking will become.

Good luck.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
905T is a good driver for a decent player, and is designed for higher launch and some forgiveness. They are now about 6 ot 7 years old.

But the shaft you have in it, the GD YS6+ Regular is very soft. If you really hit it 250+, over 100mph swing speed, and the YS6+ R is better suited to high 80s.You may hit the ball high and occasionally wild. Unless you have a tempo that makes Ernie Els look like Nick Price.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
but was considering it in a 2/3 months depending what happens with money/swing especially after being sold on the idea by my friend saying it would instantly knock shots off my game.

I think your friend is wrong. Plain and simple. No club will instantly knock shots off your game; changing from something totally unsuitable to something suitable might do this over a few weeks/months, but in your case what you have is fine.

Don't get stuck on fancy ideas about changing your kit, a few £100 on lessons and practice balls at the range would be a far better investment.

As for grips. I get mine from Gamola and make do with the £3 golf pride tour velvet.

benjamin

Club Champion
Visit site
Your game will be changing rapidly as you get used to playing again, your irons are only 5 years old and money is tight. Go on Youtube and see how to fit new grips, then go on Ebay and buy yourself a decent set of grips.

Sound advice and thanks for the tips.

Another welcome to the forum Ben :)

GI = Game Improvement. GI irons normally have wider soles and a larger cavity at the back with most of the weight around the outside of the club head. That makes them more forgiving on off centre hits. They usually also have more offset ie. the club head is set back from the line of the shaft.

FIR = Fairways In Regulation. Just how often your tee shots find the fairway.

As for grips, it's really a matter of preference although I don't think you can go wrong with Golf Pride Tour Velvet. They're around £3 each if you want to do them yourself (really easy) or a pro shop might fit a set of 8 for about £40.

You have a really nice driver there. I'd stick with it if you hit 6/7 good ones, especially as the more you get back into the game the better your ball striking will become.

Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome and for all the info :)

Ah thanks for the explanation of GI irons, why arent all clubs made like this then or to put it better what exactly is it that you gain having non GI clubs? obviously you lose forgiveness so you must gain something surely?

Thanks for the info on grips and i think you're right ill stick with the driver for now. :cool:

905T is a good driver for a decent player, and is designed for higher launch and some forgiveness. They are now about 6 ot 7 years old.

But the shaft you have in it, the GD YS6+ Regular is very soft. If you really hit it 250+, over 100mph swing speed, and the YS6+ R is better suited to high 80s.You may hit the ball high and occasionally wild. Unless you have a tempo that makes Ernie Els look like Nick Price.

Yeah that would explain why my friend dislikes my driver as he always says its very whippy, seems odd that im getting that distance with a slow swing then but with a slow sweet swing i am definately getting 250-280 perhaps more occasionally, maybe i should try to video my swing with it and post it up? Thanks for the info re the shaft maybe i should try a stiffer shaft in it in the future.

I think your friend is wrong. Plain and simple. No club will instantly knock shots off your game; changing from something totally unsuitable to something suitable might do this over a few weeks/months, but in your case what you have is fine.

Don't get stuck on fancy ideas about changing your kit, a few £100 on lessons and practice balls at the range would be a far better investment.

As for grips. I get mine from Gamola and make do with the £3 golf pride tour velvet.

Totally agree with your statement re clubs, makes sense after reading what others have wrote too, now i can dismiss that fairytale idea so thank you! :)

Yes i will consider lessons when i have some cash, roughly how much are we talking per lesson?

Thanks for the headsup re grips too!

Well after all your advice and info i am definately sticking with my irons and driver for the forseeable future, i will look into having lessons and getting a new putter fitted and generally getting out as much as possible.

Thanks chaps! :)

Ben