Do I have a dodgy putter?

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi,

As some of you may know I am new to golf and here. After flirting with a set of Nike Vapor Fly irons and random other stuff I collected I decided to get rid of them (didn't like the feel/weight of them) and bought a set of Wilson Prostaff HDX clubs to keep me going for a good while.

I still have my old putter which is some random all metal mallet type putter from 20+ years ago, no resins, plastics or anything else. I get on surprisingly well with it, particularly for judging pace. It's just nice and predictable, if nothing special.

The new Wilson putter I got I thought would be great but I found its response really muted. For the weight of the club the ball hardly goes anywhere and makes a rather dull thud sound which I don't like. Sometimes they go okay but generally it feels like doesn't go as far as I'd expect.

Playing around with the club I notice it makes that thud like dull sound only in one spot. Now I'm wondering if maybe the resin/plastic material on the face has separated from the metal.

Here is a video. Sorry for the vertical filming but hard to hold a club, film and hit it with my knuckle with only 2 hands! :D

[video=youtube_share;--aveX5U0d0]https://youtu.be/--aveX5U0d0[/video]

Should I seek to get this replaced or is that some 'clever' technology?

Cheers

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
I didn't pay for faulty if that's what it is. I expect it to work for it's intended purpose. Do you reckon that is by design or a fault?

DCB

Visit site
From the video clip I'd say It's not faulty, it's just a very basic putter out of a boxed set. Designed for beginners/new starters to the game.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
From the video clip I'd say It's not faulty, it's just a very basic putter out of a boxed set. Designed for beginners/new starters to the game.

That's a shame then. My 20+ year old solid metal putter is better. Hasn't got weird thick grip either. Actually feel connected to the club. Guess I'll just retire the one in question to anti-burglar duties.

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
sounds like your missing feel and feedback. I'd recommend a milled putter for that

I'm finding that generally. Interesting learning experience. Don't like thick grips or even the Golf Pride style grips. I find oversized irons harder to deliver squarely or feel what happened if it didn't go well. Not so keen on longer shafts either!

I didn't play seriously as a kid nearly 20 odd years go but in the meantime it seems everything has been designed to make you as far removed from the task as possible. Like modern cars, how the pedals aren't connected to mechanical components in any meaningful way anymore. Weird!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I certainly feel connected to mine with a GP Tour SNSR on it, superb grip.

I sort of get your point, but more about skill than feel, maybe a bit of both.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing though, the improvements have made the game far more accessible at not great cost to the game.

I would hope that most avid golfers would have a go with a set of more “classic” clubs at some point. I myself would like to play with some more modern clubs as I might be missing out on a bit of forgiveness!

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whenever you take up a new activity you have a bit of sensory overload, got to figure out new perceptions. Can't really feel what you are doing with your body or in the case of golf with your club. I think sometimes experienced people forget that and designs that inhibit feeling certainly don't help. I could chuck a new swimmer in a pool and give them loads of different tips but they wouldn't get anything from it as got no feel yet. I could throw them in the sea (as a parallel for game improvement irons) and preach to them how much easier it is with the buoyancy of salt water but wouldn't mean a thing to them.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Putters are a very personal item, I certainly wouldn’t buy one as part of a set

Try a few, maybe obtain one you like from eBay or similar, if you don’t like it, you can sell it on and it’s only cost you a few quid

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's a shame then. My 20+ year old solid metal putter is better. Hasn't got weird thick grip either. Actually feel connected to the club. Guess I'll just retire the one in question to anti-burglar duties.

It's neither better nor poorer! You just happen to get on with it better (currently!).

Finding the 'right' putter can be a life-long journey - one I certainly haven't finished (andI've probably tried 100+ putters!) - but a session with an expert could well help!

Trying every putter you can hold is one way of finding a style that suits. AG can be a good source, but don't overdo your welcome! Don't be afraid to try some 'fugly' models either! They can be just as effective as beautiful ones. And don't get caught up in the 'Scotty Cameron' worship either. Build quality is high, but so are almost every other brand! And it's all about what works for you that's important, not what Pros use!

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm sticking with my old friend, the 20 year old mallet putter for now. Seems familiar and I like it. It's kinda nice people don't expect much from it either, especially if pull off a good putt. Only been playing few months and already got 'spare' clubs I've replaced. Actually just conducting an experiment with my spare driver. I like the journey of self discovery!

My family run a machine shop. I did consider taking the silly plastic insert out of my new putter and just milling the face flat. It's likely going in the bin anyway, I think I'd need to take too much material off the face though. Would make it tail heavy.

Last edited:

ScoopUK

Medal Winner
Visit site
One last effort to fix putter. Currently boiling my putter head so I can hopefully remove the insert without damaging it and re-epoxy it. This time evenly like the manufacturer should have done so no dead spots. I like the weight of it it's just how it would give a dull thud and hardly roll at all. I think because the insert had come away slightly and was slapping the metal on contact with the ball.