Do golf lessons work?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Ive recently had a lesson, my first in a long while, having been put off after a lesson I wasn’t too happy with a few years back. Couldn’t be happier with how it went and it’s already improving my game.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Following on from my original post, I decided to have a lesson with a pro recommended to me.

He let me hit a few balls first and watched my swing. He then took a video of the swing from back and side and proceeded to show me, through various lines on the screen, what things were affecting my swing.

The results were immediate, he told me how to adjust my body and although my posture felt uncomfortable at first, told me where I was going wrong. It was an issue I had at address.

I was very happy with the results, so much so I had a follow up lesson this week and my driving has been a lot better off the tee. I just need to work on consistency now.

Now if only I could get out and play......🙁 🌧

D

Deleted member 1147

Following on from my original post, I decided to have a lesson with a pro recommended to me.

He let me hit a few balls first and watched my swing. He then took a video of the swing from back and side and proceeded to show me, through various lines on the screen, what things were affecting my swing.

The results were immediate, he told me how to adjust my body and although my posture felt uncomfortable at first, told me where I was going wrong. It was an issue I had at address.

I was very happy with the results, so much so I had a follow up lesson this week and my driving has been a lot better off the tee. I just need to work on consistency now.

Now if only I could get out and play......🙁 🌧
It's the perfect time to make changes. You can hit the range all winter to practice what you've been told, and film it to compare with what you were shown at the lesson.
Best of luck with the changes (y)

jamiet7682

Visit site
I have just finished my block of 6 beginner group lessons. First thing was adjusting my grip, then worked on some swing fundementals, this has increased consistancy massively but has reduced my distance somewhat, happy to accept that as it will come back as i get more comfortable with the changes.
Last lesson he again adjusted my grip, this seemed to sort out my slice, was hitting the driver straight or even left for the first time, however when i went away on my own to practice i couldnt even hit the ball.
Have my first one to one lesson booked this week and need to suss out how to integrate the grip change into my game and still be able to hit the ball.
The Joys!!!
Lessons have definitely helped but with me it was a case of breaking my swing and grip apart and rebuilding from scratch, which is never going to be a quick process.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have just finished my block of 6 beginner group lessons. First thing was adjusting my grip, then worked on some swing fundementals, this has increased consistancy massively but has reduced my distance somewhat, happy to accept that as it will come back as i get more comfortable with the changes.
Last lesson he again adjusted my grip, this seemed to sort out my slice, was hitting the driver straight or even left for the first time, however when i went away on my own to practice i couldnt even hit the ball.
Have my first one to one lesson booked this week and need to suss out how to integrate the grip change into my game and still be able to hit the ball.
The Joys!!!
Lessons have definitely helped but with me it was a case of breaking my swing and grip apart and rebuilding from scratch, which is never going to be a quick process.

What might help with the right grip sensation is some sort of training aid. Like "Leadbetter Swing setter " or similar

Bobby19

Visit site
The Joys!!!

I struggled a lot with my grip and had to spend a lot of time on my lessons addressing it.
I ended up buying this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKLZ-Golf-...ip+trainer&qid=1570030593&sprefix=sklz&sr=8-3

Just used it every time I was practising and eventually it became more natural

jamiet7682

Visit site
I'll have a look at a grip trainer.

I have now finished the block of group beginners lessons, had my first one to one lesson using video analysis. Still working on my grip and the swing fundementals but i am definitely seeing improvement. My scores since starting 2 months ago:

134 (66 over par) @ Brucefields
128 (60 over par) @ Brucefields
124 (56 over par) @ Brucefields
112 (46 over par) @ Brucefields
112 (46 over par) @ Mearns Castle
101 (35 over par) @ Mearns Castle
100 (34 over par) @ Mearns Castle
94 (28 over par) @ Mearns Castle

So seeing pretty steady improvements, 40 shots shaved off in 8 rounds.

Still playing with a slice but the changes to grip and swing should sort that, just need to put the changes into practice and get them ingrained in the natural swing.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
For the long game, they dont, and really, there is no good reason why they should.
Mainly :
- those who teach tend to do so because they can play the game well, usually from an early age, but not because they have any deeper understanding of how to play it, let alony convey that to someone else.
- there is no good understanding of what a best golf swing is in the first place. Teaching tends to ape styles rather than true scientific fundamentals, and there is no consistency to what is peddled as correct

Its as useful for a beginner to pick up and beginners guide book. Beyond that, coaching is only a panacea, that does nothing for the skill itself.

For putting even less. Utterly pointless. (not to mention gimmick/scam stuff like aimpoint).

For the short game, there is some benefit. The basics of a variety of short game shots are well known, can be communicated, and in varying degrees, learnt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I struggled a lot with my grip and had to spend a lot of time on my lessons addressing it.
I ended up buying this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SKLZ-Golf-...ip+trainer&qid=1570030593&sprefix=sklz&sr=8-3

Just used it every time I was practising and eventually it became more natural
Second this .
I bought one put it on an old club and just worked my hands on it.
Watching telly ,when adverts come on just have a few swings ,
If you do it every day it’s is much easier than when playing / practice it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My honest opinion is, sometimes.

As a beginner, yes. Get into good habits early on.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort practicing and are happy to go backwards before going forwards then, again, yes.

If you are like me, bad habits very ingrained, little practice time and really do not want to waste what little time I get on the course playing bad golf then they are unlikely to work.

What does amuse me is that some people see lessons as a guaranteed way of improving and that is not the case. Sometimes our skill level and ability have just reached a peak and no matter how many lessons you have, you sometimes have to accept that.

D

Deleted member 1147

For the long game, they dont, and really, there is no good reason why they should.
Mainly :
- those who teach tend to do so because they can play the game well, usually from an early age, but not because they have any deeper understanding of how to play it, let alony convey that to someone else.
- there is no good understanding of what a best golf swing is in the first place. Teaching tends to ape styles rather than true scientific fundamentals, and there is no consistency to what is peddled as correct

Its as useful for a beginner to pick up and beginners guide book. Beyond that, coaching is only a panacea, that does nothing for the skill itself.

For putting even less. Utterly pointless. (not to mention gimmick/scam stuff like aimpoint).

For the short game, there is some benefit. The basics of a variety of short game shots are well known, can be communicated, and in varying degrees, learnt.
So if someone has a regular miss, perhaps a big block to the right, which they can’t stop, seeing a professional, who can tell him why it’s happening and how to cure it, is a waste of time money and effort?

They should just get a book 😏🤔🤫🙄

👎

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like any form of teaching and learning a practical skill, the outcome is dependent on the amount of practice the student is willing to put in between the lessons. Doesn’t have to be golf, you can attribute the principle to learning to swim, play a musical instrument, computing, cooking etc. if You only rock up for lessons on a weekly, monthly basis then it will be a slow process

+1 for this. I'd recommend having a series of lessons, including a 9-hole playing assessment so that the pro can see where you might be struggling. A good pro will make changes gradually, focusing on the issue most in need of resolution first and not try to change everything at once.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
Even a small change will likely feel massive to your swing.
Something has to change or nothing will change.
Embrace a lesson (or a few) explain you don't want to radically change and a good pro will show you whats happening (video) and some instruction to work on to remedy.

Once you work on it, you'll feel more back in control of where you ball is going to go.

Don't hesitate. ( I play occasionally with a self diagnoser/"YouTube expert", it's painful, don't be that guy!)

I have never paid for a golf lesson in my life, I have received advice from pro's on a casual basis but never actually had a proper assessment.

My game has stalled somewhat and I seem to be going backwards if anything. I am loathe to have someone completely change my swing as I am at the stage of my life where I just want to go out and play with a bit of consistency instead of spending half my time looking for my ball off the fairway. I feel I just need a few tweaks here and there, mainly on driving the ball straight and help hitting longer irons.

Do you suggest just a 30/45 min lesson to start just to have my swing assessed, or anything more? What are you looking to pay? I have looked at local PGA pro's and they are looking to charge between £40 and £50 for an hour lesson, I take it this is the going rate.

Anyone like to share a success story from seeing a teaching pro?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Of course they work, it’s coaching, the same as any other sport.

Learn technique, work hard at doing the right things and you will improve 99% of the time.

However not every coach suits every player, the hard part is finding a coach that gets the best out of you.

The best players in the world have coaches.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
for me no not yet. ive had 4 lessons in the last 4 years 1 with a driving range pro. 2 with different pros at courses near me and Mark crossfield.
driving range pro said i was taking the club to far inside on back swing. Mark crossfield said i was taking it to far out on the back swing and 1 club pro said alignment was a issue and the other wanted to work on a flat wrist. All worked for a while but have been struggling of late and not sure who i should go see. Perhaps i should just stick with one of them but my trust has gone as how can 4 pros say all different things. i had group[ lesson when i was a lad and got to 6 i stayed around 6/7 for last 25 years but the last two years have struggled and now off 8 but did change course last year so still getting to know it. im 46 now i would like to have one more push to get to 5 before i except my age. im a shift worker so have 6 days off at a time so i can practice alot and generally sort out my swing myself but tempted to go see someone and tell them to pull my swing apart and start afresh. but who that will be im not sure.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course they work, it’s coaching, the same as any other sport.

Learn technique, work hard at doing the right things and you will improve 99% of the time.

However not every coach suits every player, the hard part is finding a coach that gets the best out of you.

The best players in the world have coaches.
This

The biggest issue for me though is while quality of striking can improve sometimes golf can still be unfair and it can still be hard to make scores and move the handicap forward. I have had a number of lessons in 2019 and definitely hitting the ball better and the misses are better and there are less moving parts in the swing and on the days it isn't working the bad scores are now closer to 30 points than the 23-25 I'd get previously. Loads of work to do on the short game (and the lesson I had there) but if you can get a good coach prepared to work within the confines of your physical ability, and not look to totally reinvent the wheel each time, can be open to your input and articulate why changes are being made and demonstrate how they'll help then surely it has to be a positive. Sometimes, the challenge of finding the right coach for you can be a bigger hurdle than refining and improving the swing

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My honest opinion is, sometimes.

As a beginner, yes. Get into good habits early on.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort practicing and are happy to go backwards before going forwards then, again, yes.

If you are like me, bad habits very ingrained, little practice time and really do not want to waste what little time I get on the course playing bad golf then they are unlikely to work.

What does amuse me is that some people see lessons as a guaranteed way of improving and that is not the case. Sometimes our skill level and ability have just reached a peak and no matter how many lessons you have, you sometimes have to accept that.
only if you don't work on what the lessons covered, i can't see why if you see a pro and work on changes you can't improve, unless you have Physical issue of course that holding you back