Do golf lessons work?

D

Deleted member 21258

At some point we all stall, we all reach a plateau for the effort, natural talent, practise and amount we play. We have peak/hot rounds after reaching that plateau but return we do, to 'that' plateau. I think quite often that I am better than I am due to those peak rounds, but the truth hurts, I am not.:(

Me personally I have always enjoyed just playing and think some of the most enjoyable rounds, have been when I have been hacking.. When things are bad I am just trying to get something to work and tend to play around with the swing or swing thoughts, which to me is a great part of the 'game', so will probably never go for a lesson for that reason.:unsure:

Hope you manage to sort it and lessons work out, best of luck.

dronfield

Visit site
I have never paid for a golf lesson in my life, I have received advice from pro's on a casual basis but never actually had a proper assessment.

My game has stalled somewhat and I seem to be going backwards if anything. I am loathe to have someone completely change my swing as I am at the stage of my life where I just want to go out and play with a bit of consistency instead of spending half my time looking for my ball off the fairway. I feel I just need a few tweaks here and there, mainly on driving the ball straight and help hitting longer irons.

Do you suggest just a 30/45 min lesson to start just to have my swing assessed, or anything more? What are you looking to pay? I have looked at local PGA pro's and they are looking to charge between £40 and £50 for an hour lesson, I take it this is the going rate.

Anyone like to share a success story from seeing a teaching pro?

I have regularly taken lessons over the years, and generally buy them in bulk (circa 6 for £100/120), then spread them over a period of time. You obviously need time to practice what you have been taught, and so i have worked on a 2- 3 week gap between lessons to allow for suffucient opportunity to do this.

Also, have found it better to have lessons during the off season, because it is easier and less pressurised when looking to implement the necessary swing changes (rather than potentially start hitting it sideways in next week's medal).

You need to find a coach you trust and enjoy working with - also someone who will be honest re your swing faults and not sugarcoat problems.

Hope this helps.

Rich

D

Deleted member 15344

I haven’t had golf lessons but know plenty who have and for me it’s all about what stage you are at in your golfing life

Lessons to start the game are good - providing you apply what’s being taught both on practise and on the course

Then when you hit a plateau and don’t improve you can try lessons but you could have reached your natural ability level and no matter how lessons you have you just don’t improve - there are plenty of examples of people who reach this level and keep trying and trying to find the golden goose to go beyond their level - for me no matter how many lessons you have you just aren’t going to improve

Then you have the people who have reached a level but then start to go backwards - possibly a few faults have crepted in etc so it’s worth getting a mot on the swing

But lessons are not the immediate fix - it still needs the player to work at it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t had golf lessons but know plenty who have and for me it’s all about what stage you are at in your golfing life

Lessons to start the game are good - providing you apply what’s being taught both on practise and on the course

Then when you hit a plateau and don’t improve you can try lessons but you could have reached your natural ability level and no matter how lessons you have you just don’t improve - there are plenty of examples of people who reach this level and keep trying and trying to find the golden goose to go beyond their level - for me no matter how many lessons you have you just aren’t going to improve

Then you have the people who have reached a level but then start to go backwards - possibly a few faults have crepted in etc so it’s worth getting a mot on the swing

But lessons are not the immediate fix - it still needs the player to work at it
I agree here.
I have booked a lesson next week because some faults have crept into my swing .
I have tried to work it out myself but can’t.
I am usually pretty good at self diagnosing problems but I am stumped .
I am hitting it left one hole, right the next par 3s are killing me .
So will be interesting to find out what’s going on.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree here.
I have booked a lesson next week because some faults have crept into my swing .
I have tried to work it out myself but can’t.
I am usually pretty good at self diagnosing problems but I am stumped .
I am hitting it left one hole, right the next par 3s are killing me .
So will be interesting to find out what’s going on.

Left hand weak, right hand strong and/or out to in swingpath would be my stab in the dark

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Left hand weak, right hand strong and/or out to in swingpath would be my stab in the dark
Yes sorted the grip with a Skilz grip thing that fits on my club.
It was right hand strong. Left was ok.
Think it’s in the backswing and over the top.
Have sort of lost my angles ,if that makes sense.
Trying to drop the club into a in to out slot but it’s not working.

Had a nasty left ankle injury last year and just havnt got my game back at all.
Back down to 6 from 7 at start of year and had some good scores , but down mostly to short game really.
Driving has been ok ,it’s my irons that are the problem .
I just have no consistency. I can miss a green left or right with a wedge, it’s driving me crackers.
I have been practising a lot and am obviously practicing my mistakes so need outside eyes to sort it.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Trying to drop the club into a in to out slot but it’s not working.

I'm not a big fan of that swing thought.
In theory it should help but........
If someone has a flat backswing, they often throw at the top getting the club outside the line. Then they remember to pull down with the hands but it's too late. All it does is steepen the downswing and if anything make the swing more out to in.
So yes it can work but should only be used under the supervision of a grown up.

What may help is not to rush the transition and even put a slight pause at the top.
Think of a garden swing changing direction and copy that tempo.

Good luck with the lesson

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone has a flat backswing, they often throw at the top getting the club outside the line. Then they remember to pull down with the hands but it's too late. All it does is steepen the downswing and if anything make the swing more out to in.

What may help is not to rush the transition and even put a slight pause at the top.

Cheers bob .
No wonder I am struggling .

Sairamtim

Visit site
I only started playing golf earlier this year and went through a few pros at various clubs till i found the right one. The worst coach was the most expensive and coaches pros and travels the world teaching players on tour. He believes a swing must look like x and every lesson would try and change things drastically again. It felt like every lesson I would go backwards. The coach also didnt provide any moral support at all. So I ditched him. The most recent coach only has to look at my swing and can idnetify the issues within a swing or two. However he doesnt provide any drills or anything between lessons.
I think from what I see most golf coaches are pretty average. Some are decent at analysing your sweing but not great at providing a structure or game plan to improve if that makes sense.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I only started playing golf earlier this year and went through a few pros at various clubs till i found the right one. The worst coach was the most expensive and coaches pros and travels the world teaching players on tour. He believes a swing must look like x and every lesson would try and change things drastically again. It felt like every lesson I would go backwards. The coach also didnt provide any moral support at all. So I ditched him. The most recent coach only has to look at my swing and can idnetify the issues within a swing or two. However he doesnt provide any drills or anything between lessons.
I think from what I see most golf coaches are pretty average. Some are decent at analysing your sweing but not great at providing a structure or game plan to improve if that makes sense.

Don't think you're getting a great service, or maybe I'm spoiled (perhaps Bob can let me know) but my pro always gives me a drill or two to work on to help the change bed in. Also, I can email a video of my swing if I'm struggling and he'll give me a couple of pointers if I've fallen into old habits. At the range he'll always watch for 2-3 minutes between lessons to see I am working on the right thing

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In theory it should help but.........

How very very odd, I went for a lesson a couple of months ago. In essence my swing was out to in causing a fade/ slice. When I did cream one straight it went straight left as I squared the club face up with The swing path.
Anyway, my swing mistake was pointed out and I was given some drills to get a flat back swing. It works, however it only works when th flat backswing is followed by a flat down swing. What I have found is that sometimes I go back to throwing my club out on the down swing which has caused me to either go back to the fade or topping the ball. In essence I go back to old bad habits. I have been given 3 drills to do everyday, but do I do them to help with muscle memory, routine no do I Eck as like.
Again the garden swing bit is emphasising the same swing plane. That slight pause is in me game tomorrow. 👍
Cheers Bob.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
£30/hr up north. I could replicate a lot of the comments on here but some feedback on your post that is meant in as friendliest terms possible.

You need to change your opinion on coaching and go in with and open mind. see lessons as a potential journey rather than a one off fix. Then dedicate some time to practicing.

You pretty much said exactly what a mate told me last year. He was too cynical about them improving him and the lessons were just a waste of money for him as he’s back doing the old stuff and is probably little worse.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't think you're getting a great service, or maybe I'm spoiled (perhaps Bob can let me know) but my pro always gives me a drill or two to work on to help the change bed in. Also, I can email a video of my swing if I'm struggling and he'll give me a couple of pointers if I've fallen into old habits. At the range he'll always watch for 2-3 minutes between lessons to see I am working on the right thing
How’s that working for you....

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do lessons work? Yes. Sometimes you only need a quick fix, and a 30 min lesson is more than enough. Others require their swing to be stripped back and to a certain extent rebuilt. That requires a lot of work from both the pro and the student.

Some coaches connect well with some students whilst other students struggle with that coach.

Go to a lesson with a clear idea of what you want. Explain it to the pro. He should take it on board. He may say you're wrong, and then its up to the student to listen. At the end of the day, if the pro doesn't give you the product you want, go elsewhere. Equally, having someone telling you what you need to do only works if you make a conscious effort to do it.

Good luck.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fantastic article on golfwrx at the minute and sums up my my thoughts on lessons and improving your game.

I've had less than 10 in person lessons in my 10 years of playing this game with a handicap but also watched 1000s of instructional videos so that would add up to a fair bit more than 10 overall. I've been to the range to try differnt things and see what works for me.
I fully believe people need to go and grind it out if they want to improve. Be that at the range or course. You can't just turn up week after week and do the exact same thing and hope things get better. You need to step out of the box sometimes when practicing. Like trying to play big massive over draws. Or cut every single shot. Then you can try to work it back to a more manageable shape. Every time you do this you learn more and you also learn what you can achieve and what suits your game.
Improving is all about self discovery. I've posted on here many times when I felt I've had a golfing "lightbulb moment" as I called them. Each one a building block of knowledge. My swing is no pretty picture, doesn't look like a tour pro, doesn't hit the ball miles but I know what I can do and do it reasonably well. There has been plenty of downs along the way. Like uncontrollable hooks, bout of the shanks and years of fats. I've fought them all and come out the other side and better player for it.
I've told myself and my friends when they were low. "No one gets any better sitting at home on the couch".

INSTRUCTION
Clark: On learning golf
7abf603c56875b0237fc400b832f1996

Published
15 hours ago

“A true teacher will teach how to think, not what to think”
There are several versions of the above adage, but when you teach every day, you get to see this up close and personal. In my opinion, all a teacher can do is to guide you as to what happens when you hit a golf ball. The student has to discover what works for them to achieve better results. It is that simple. The internet is loaded with “how-to” info, and some of it might actually apply to your individual issue, but do yourself a big favor: Go beat some balls and see how it goes; try this, try that, repeat steps one and two!
Let’s take turning as a classic example. If someone were to ask a teacher HOW to turn, there could be a dozen answers. What the teacher, the data, video show is simply this: You are NOT turning. Let’s try this, let’s try that, no, how about this? There are an unlimited number of ways, but the student needs to: FIRST, realize the lack or incorrectness of turn, and SECOND, find a way to do it. Any way, YOUR way. This is called participating in your learning and discovering process. When Ben Hogan said: “the secret is in the dirt,” this is precisely what he was referring to.
I have a short section each day in my golf school dedicated to the ballistics of impact. A student needs to know exactly what happens at impact. And when you know what produces good flight, then find what you personally are doing to violate those laws. How to correct an open and/or closed clubface means nothing to a student who doesn’t know what open or closed actually is, or does. Swing path and its relationship to clubface resulting in ball flight curvature is knowledge every teacher has, but is like rocket science to the student who knows none of this. I once had a student who thought his shanks were coming off the toe! When I told him that just the opposite was happening, he immediately moved away from the ball a little and stopped shanking (there were other reasons he shanked but just that much knowledge got him off the hosel!)
In order to correct anything, anything at all, it is first necessary to discover the problem and find a way, any way to correct it. No teacher, book, TV tip, or article can do what you can do for yourself. All the teacher might do is make you aware of the problem. But in the end, just go play and try this, that and the other thing. The answer is there, believe me, the answer is in you. You have to find it!
The problem, very often, is that golfers are looking for someone to offer them a light bulb moment, a flash of “aha,” the “I’ve-got-it-now” solution. The aha moment is the only way to get sustained improvement, but it must come from you, the individual. There is no universal “light-bulb moment,” it is uniquely-yours alone to discover. As I’ve said before, “it’s not what I cover, it’s what you discover.” Discover what? That “thing” you can grasp and go hit ball after ball until you have, at least to a functional degree, internalized it!
Good luck on your personal journey!
On a personal note, this will be my final article for GolfWRX. I have written 100-plus articles over the last 10 years or so and I have thoroughly enjoyed helping all of you who read my articles.
If you read through them on some rainy day, you’ll notice a theme: “If this, then that.” Meaning: If your golf ball is consistently doing that, try this. The articles are all archived on this site, and I am writing a book about my life on the lesson tee. It has been a labor of love as my whole career has been. There is no greater joy in my professional life than seeing the look on a golfers face and feel the joy within them when they improve. The minute that slice straightens, or that ground ball goes up in the air, is a special bond and a shared joy in the student-teacher relationship.
But I’ve said most of what I think is pertinent and anything after this would be redundant. There is now a plethora of how-to info out there, and I personally feel the reader may begin to think he/she should do this or that as opposed to thinking “I should try to discover this or that through my own personal exploration.”
If any of you wish to contact me directly regarding help with your game, you know how to do so. But do remember this: You cannot learn golf from words or pictures. My advice is to get a good teacher to look at you a few times, then go out and find the answer in the dirt. Golf is a game to played. And in that playing, in that trial-and-error process, you will find things that will help you achieve better outcomes. No one owns this game: We only to get to borrow it from time to time

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Great post and pretty much were I have got to with my swing/lessons. Never hit the ball better than I am now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had an intense 90 minute short game lesson on Saturday (was only supposed to be an hour!!). I'm still flip flopping between linear (which has always felt comfier especially on wedges and bunkers and sat better in my golfing break) and a conventional shot game action. Have stripped a standard action right back to basics, and built up again from posture to rotating with the body (and not the arms dictating as I've tended to do) and feel as though the shot is played on a high to low finish. Rotating the body will also control the spin. Worked hard on those tricky 20-40 yard shots and the chip and run and feel very engaged. Wasn't able to get out and work on it yesterday (nor today looking at the weather) but determined to banish my short game woes for good now.