DMD Slope Enabled Match Play

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
What penalty is applicable in a match play comp if it comes to light on the 14th that one player has been using a DMD with slope enabled for the round so far?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loss of hole first time of use
Loss of Match the second time it is used if unrelated to the first time it was used.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just for my understanding, is there any difference in this thread to the words, slope being 'used' and 'enabled' or are they assumed to be the same thing?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You cant use a DMD with slope function, some have the abilty to disabe it, which make them OK if its disabled..... youre just trying to confuse things.

Not intentionally as I wasn't aware of the distinction in the first bold, but thanks for the put-down

Swango1980

Visit site
You cant use a DMD with slope function, some have the abilty to disabe it, which make them OK if its disabled..... youre just trying to confuse things.
where does it say they need to be disabled? It only says you can't use that function, not that you need to disable it (I'm not sure if other golfers could get close enough to even check if it was disabled or not). Perhaps they should be fitted with a red flashing light and siren as soon as the Slope feature is actually used :)

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
where does it say they need to be disabled? It only says you can't use that function, not that you need to disable it (I'm not sure if other golfers could get close enough to even check if it was disabled or not). Perhaps they should be fitted with a red flashing light and siren as soon as the Slope feature is actually used :)

Another one trying to add confusion...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I've never had one with a slope function but I'd reckon if it's not switched off then it'll be on and therefore be against the rules. The fact that others cant check whether it's on or off is irrelevant given that golf is a game of trust, and for someone looking to cheat in golf, there are many opportunities

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Just awaiting you to point it out in the rules, to clear up any confusion ;)

Point what out? Like I said, you're just trying to confuse matters and to be fair you're the last person i'd take rules advice from, given your track record.

I used a laser with slope and the feature was either on or off, maybe others fucntion differntly and you can have it on but not use it, who knows.
It's probably an area where the rules are regualry broken.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've never had one with a slope function but I'd reckon if it's not switched off then it'll be on and therefore be against the rules. The fact that others cant check whether it's on or off is irrelevant given that golf is a game of trust, and for someone looking to cheat in golf, there are many opportunities
There is nothing in the rules to say it must be switched off, just that it cannot be used. I'm not sure what display they all use, so I get it wouldn't be acceptable if a golfer just saw one view, with the slope adjusted value on it. But, I know of one where you toggled the button to go back and forth between the actual distance and then the Slope adjusted distance. No way to "turn off" the slope adjusted value, but a golfer wouldn't be allowed to use it under the rules. But, nothing in rules say they would be DQ'ed simply for using that device

Swango1980

Visit site
Point what out? Like I said, you're just trying to confuse matters and to be fair you're the last person i'd take rules advice from, given your track record.
Just deflecting the answer then. Have you ever even read the rules. If you google Rules of Golf, that should get you in the right direction

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Do you do ever offer anything on this Forum except snide remarks? Is it your intention to disparage and denigrate or is that it accidental? I'm sure I've never read any helpful comment from you, only ever belittling someone else. Those kind of comments are really easy, any of us could do it, but most of us don't. Are you also argumentative in real life or is it an act that you've honed specially for the GM Forum?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like "The Bickersons"?
Here's the Rule:
Rule 4.3a(1)
1) Distance and Directional Information.
  • Allowed.
    • Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).
  • Not Allowed.
    • Measuring elevation changes, or
    • Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball).

Swango1980

Visit site
Sounds like "The Bickersons"?
Here's the Rule:
Rule 4.3a(1)
1) Distance and Directional Information.
  • Allowed.
    • Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).
  • Not Allowed.
    • Measuring elevation changes, or
    • Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball).
Cheers, so nothing about anything having to be disabled then?

I initially looked at this last year, as American Golf sold about 6 very expensive range finders, all but one had the ability to measure Slope. Having then read the rules, all that seemed to have been said that such a feature should not be used, rather than it shouldn't exist, of physically be disabled. I'm not sure if this used to be part of the rules, but I believe there were quite a few updates to the rules regarding DMDs, given the rapid popularity they were getting a few years ago.