Divisions for comps?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our committee has decided to introduce divisions for all club comps as follows

Division One – Players with a handicap of 5 or less

Division Two – Players with a handicap of 6 to 12

Division Three – Players with a handicap of 13 plus

I don’t have a problem with the concept of divisions, however the proposed splits seem a bit skewed.

Can I ask those who have divisions at their club what split you have?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
From memory, that's pretty close to the split (but with an added 19 plus Div 4) I remember in the couple of clubs I belonged to.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours have been reviewed a few times over the years, always with the aim of roughly keeping three categories of equal numbers of players in each, and at the moment we have : up to 12, 13-18, 19 and above.
Its more about spreading around prizes fairly, than any golf level criteria.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ours have been reviewed a few times over the years, always with the aim of roughly keeping three categories of equal numbers of players in each, and at the moment we have : up to 12, 13-18, 19 and above.
Its more about spreading around prizes fairly, than any golf level criteria.

I agree with the rationale of spreading the prizes fairly, but I’d be very surprised if 33% of those who enter comps at our place are off 5 or less.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We run medals and stablefords with the following divisions:
13 and lower
14 and above [edited]
The weekend is then split with one division playing on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Following month's comp is then swapped, to avoid restricting golfers who can't ever play on a certain weekend day.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
For Monthly Medals, we have 3 fixed divisions: 10 and lower, 11 to 18, and 19 and higher. Generally there is a fairly equal number of entries in each division.

For all other comps, divisions and division boundaries are flexible dependent on entries; i.e. they can (and do) move up/down a stroke to balance the number of players in each division. For a 2 division comp (over 30 entrants) the boundaries will typically be as follows: 15 and lower, and 16 and higher; and a 3 division comp (between 30 and 60-70 entrants) will typically have the following boundaries: 12 and lower, 13 to 19, and 20 and higher.

All division splits are by Playing Handicap - saves having to answer the question "why are two players with the same handicap in different divisions" every week.

The purpose is to give more players the opportunity to win prizes and also to spread the prize money around. Each division pays top 3 unless there are over 45 players in a division, in which case top 4 get paid. We also have a lowest gross prize in medals.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last club I was at reviewed it at the end of each year and redefined the divisions based on a roughly equal split of entrants in comps over the years, mostly was 0-9, 10-14 and 15+ as the 3 divisions

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We run medals and stablefords with the following divisions:
13 and lower
15 and above
The weekend is then split with one division playing on Saturday and the other on Sunday. Following month's comp is then swapped, to avoid restricting golfers who can't ever play on a certain weekend day.

14 cappers banned?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our committee has decided to introduce divisions for all club comps as follows

Division One – Players with a handicap of 5 or less

Division Two – Players with a handicap of 6 to 12

Division Three – Players with a handicap of 13 plus

I don’t have a problem with the concept of divisions, however the proposed splits seem a bit skewed.

Can I ask those who have divisions at their club what split you have?
Div 3 seems to be unfair as I suspect the majority of the members are higher than that.

Are the divs set on HI?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Handicap Master Competition software has the facility to autosize the divisions, so that a roughly even number of players are in each division irrespective of the actual distribution. So this may mean that one week a 20 handicapper might fall into division 3, the next they might fall into division 2.

We pay out exactly the same prizes for first, second and third place in each division, so it makes sense and is fair that each division has a similar number of players in it. Auto-size makes this really easy to achieve.

D

Deleted member 1147

We have 3 divisions. Can’t remember the split, but I think it’s 10 and below for division 1.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
We seem to do 0-10, 11-18 and 19 upwards - though it varies a stroke or so - sometimes it's 0-9 and 10-17 - it's not to even up numbers in each division I don't think - one comp had 65 in div 1, 36 in div 2 and 21 in div 3 - and honestly I don't worry about stuff like that too much.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 1,2 or 3 divisions depending on the number of players but they are not set in stone.
We vary the setting to try to have the same number in each division and they are different between club comps and seniors comps and ladies also have different divisions.

Club comps the guide is up to 10, 11-16 and 17 and over
Seniors are up to 15, 16-21 and 22 or over

Also prizes are paid out according to the number in a division rather than being split equally between divisions.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Handicap Master Competition software has the facility to autosize the divisions, so that a roughly even number of players are in each division irrespective of the actual distribution. So this may mean that one week a 20 handicapper might fall into division 3, the next they might fall into division 2.

My club does this, I'm usually in Div 2 but after a recent comp I found myself in Div 1.
I'm not complaining, however, I was out the prizes in Div 2 but came second in Div 1. :D