Ditching the driver

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After months, if not years, of struggle with the driver, I have finally left it out of the bag. My WHS handicap has been rocketing upwards this year, mainly down to problems off the tee but I've gradually brought the 3 wood into play. The last 3 rounds have seen the driver used less and less and the final round it was left out totally. I only lose about 10 - 15 yards max by using the 3 wood but I know it will go straight or have a slight fade most of the time (famous last words). My HI index has dropped by over 2 shots for those last 3 rounds so the signs are encouraging.

Anyone else done a 'Stenson'?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My driver has been in and out of the bag for nearly 20 years..
It's in and working at the moment.
I don't find much extra from the mini drivers..an adjustable 3 wood turned down to 14 works just as well..
I won many a comp with just a 4 wood as my longest club..

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is a mini driver actually a 2-wood or is it one of those fancy one-and-a-half woods?
I use a 16 degree hybrid as my 4-wood. Goes further than a 5-wood but not as far as a 3-wood.
I ought to be more up-to-date in my thinking, maybe.
Why did it become wrong to use even numbers for woods? I've got a few older ones with even numbers on them.
Please don't take me too seriously. I'm just an old person that needs humouring. :confused:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is a mini driver actually a 2-wood or is it one of those fancy one-and-a-half woods?
I use a 16 degree hybrid as my 4-wood. Goes further than a 5-wood but not as far as a 3-wood.
I ought to be more up-to-date in my thinking, maybe.
Why did it become wrong to use even numbers for woods? I've got a few older ones with even numbers on them.
Please don't take me too seriously. I'm just an old person that needs humouring. :confused:
I think you could call it a spoon, and I was looking for something very much like that for my vintage set up … but then I was seduced by a well presented club that I have no idea what loft it is !
I think you can go 2 routes .
1. Long shaft high loft .. gives forgiveness using spin levels.
2. Short shaft low loft .. which helps improve strike.
But the real honest part is accepting the loft suitable for your swing speed and delivery.. takes a man to use a 12.5 degree lofted driver set at draw plus and hit a bullet straight shot at 30 yard apex height ?!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another 2 qualifying rounds completed and the drop in HI is now 3.7 in 8 days. Seems like a good decision at the moment but we all know form is temporary. ;)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a great club.
I've got the matching 5 wood (17 deg) but needs a new shaft.
Fortunately, I've got a Ping Rapture 18 deg hybrid that's taken its place. Now that is a cheat stick.
Most of the new stuff is I suspect but the ball has also made it simpler. The spin it takes is reduced and it stays on line or doesn’t balloon up like an old ball would

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
After months, if not years, of struggle with the driver, I have finally left it out of the bag. My WHS handicap has been rocketing upwards this year, mainly down to problems off the tee but I've gradually brought the 3 wood into play. The last 3 rounds have seen the driver used less and less and the final round it was left out totally. I only lose about 10 - 15 yards max by using the 3 wood but I know it will go straight or have a slight fade most of the time (famous last words). My HI index has dropped by over 2 shots for those last 3 rounds so the signs are encouraging.

Anyone else done a 'Stenson'?

Not sure what your handicap is, but if it up around the 18 mark then you have to remeber every tee shot is a free hit. So even on a 400 yarder if you knock it 200 then you have a 200 yard par 4 left.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure what your handicap is, but if it up around the 18 mark then you have to remeber every tee shot is a free hit. So even on a 400 yarder if you knock it 200 then you have a 200 yard par 4 left.
The problem is that that 'free hit' was causing me so many problems it was more like a penalty shot. :eek:
Started the season just under 19 (after going up 3 shots in the previous 2 years) and shockingly it had increased to just over 22 last weekend. I dreaded standing on the tee with the driver in hand, despite having a lesson.
In the space of 8 days the mindset has changed completely and the 3 wood has given me confidence and my HI is now lower than it was in March.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem is that that 'free hit' was causing me so many problems it was more like a penalty shot. :eek:
Started the season just under 19 (after going up 3 shots in the previous 2 years) and shockingly it had increased to just over 22 last weekend. I dreaded standing on the tee with the driver in hand, despite having a lesson.
In the space of 8 days the mindset has changed completely and the 3 wood has given me confidence and my HI is now lower than it was in March.

That was my point. Find something that you can get in play from the tee and stop the cricket scores on the scorecard. Someone I work with has returned to golf this year after not playing since he was younger. Couldn't break 100, got him to put his driver away and just hit his 4i off every tee, know he is always down in the low 90s.

I have days when the driver does not want to behave and has some kind of allergic reaction ot the short stuff. I just put it away and hit my 19* utility iron 220 down the middle. Might be giving away 50-60 yards on a driver, but I can make birdies and pars a lot easier from the fairway.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I have struggled with a driver pretty much all my golfing "career". Until now. Honestly, I was using 4 irons off most tees just to keep it in play for months. I then went to Precision Golf for a driver fitting and it's been a revelation!
Turns out my issue is struggling to square the club face, meaning I could miss left or right. No way of simply preventing the big miss, as I never knew which side it would miss. The 23gram weight in the heel of the Ping G425 SFT means the face wants to come back squarer and that helps a lot.
I've lost a bit of distance, but I'm in play almost all the time. First cut sometimes, even rough sometimes, but findable and not 3 off the tee.
Maybe try a fitting?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have struggled with a driver pretty much all my golfing "career". Until now. Honestly, I was using 4 irons off most tees just to keep it in play for months. I then went to Precision Golf for a driver fitting and it's been a revelation!
Turns out my issue is struggling to square the club face, meaning I could miss left or right. No way of simply preventing the big miss, as I never knew which side it would miss. The 23gram weight in the heel of the Ping G425 SFT means the face wants to come back squarer and that helps a lot.
I've lost a bit of distance, but I'm in play almost all the time. First cut sometimes, even rough sometimes, but findable and not 3 off the tee.
Maybe try a fitting?

I would always agree with that statement. Having the driver set up correctly for you can make a huge difference. If anyone thinks that fitting does not make a difference to a driver then watch this video from the 12 minute point.