Ditch the driver

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had no option the driver had to go back to Taylormade as the weights would not stay tight on the slide got 2 shot reduction using my 3 wood now on 9 happy days, by the way Taylormade have lost my driver but are replacing it with a new M2 think it's going to stop in the shed when it arrives hardly any lost distance using the 3 wood.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I normally do something similar, if a hole is 370 or less, I will hit my 17deg rescue. In my head anything that leaves 150 or less after the tee shot puts me in a decent position. Obviously wet fairways, uphill or into a strong wind may change my thinking.

If its longer I will hit the driver unless its really tight.

Keeping the ball in play is hugely important

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I just couldn't imagine not playing golf without a driver, but that is probably due to I love the buzz of hitting a driver. For instance I would rather hit a driver straight down the middle(or left field or right field), than get a birdie by playing safe, embarrassing or what to admit!! I do not play golf to score.

Kind of in this camp. I get more enjoyment out of bombing a drive than making a birdie. This maybe because I've only recently learnt to hit driver properly after taking irons off the tee last season. It's now a strength of my game and I'm making many more birdies and pars as a result. I'll change to 3 wood or hybrid during a round if things go awry, but I'm almost more confident with the driver at the moment.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
So I've started using the Mizuno H5 1 iron recently. Managed to borrow one off the chaps up the club and thinking of buying it off him now.Still love to get the driver out though as there isn't anything more satisfying than bombing a drive, but I'll just use the 1 iron on tight holes/flat holes it's just a safe club to use that will go a fair distance and stay in play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I may as well take it out, can't really put my finger on what the problem is. only really need it on 8 holes if its a westerly.

Back 9 i struggle with it, with a good drive on ten which is a par 5, you can be on in two And 12/13 and 16 you need to get a good drive in to be able to reach in two.

for me its all in the head now.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Really what you need to do OP is buy a new driver, hit it a few times, repeat until you find one that you can hit well for a few rounds and then when you can't hit it well again sell it and buy another. It works for me and patricks148....

Seriously though I hit 3 wood off the tee 95% of the time. While I do not loose distance I know that is because I do not hit my driver as well/effectively/efficiently as I hit the 3 wood so I will keep working on driver as I know my good (rare) driver shots are 50 yards longer than my 3 wood!

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm very much in the "each to his own" camp on this one. For me personally, I've been hitting my driver reasonably well for a year or so now, and that has got better since I replaced my old TM Jetspeed with the Benross HTX I won a couple of months ago, I'm currently hitting drives straighter and longer than ever before.

That said, when I first started playing comps I used my 3w off the tee as I couldn't hit a driver to save my life. That changed when I bought a new driver and my then coach helped me to start to hit it fairly well. If I lost my touch with my current one I would look to use my 3w/5w/hybrid from the tee until I cured the problem, but whilst I'm hitting well with it, my driver's staying in the bag!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Really what you need to do OP is buy a new driver, hit it a few times, repeat until you find one that you can hit well for a few rounds and then when you can't hit it well again sell it and buy another. It works for me and patricks148....

Seriously though I hit 3 wood off the tee 95% of the time. While I do not loose distance I know that is because I do not hit my driver as well/effectively/efficiently as I hit the 3 wood so I will keep working on driver as I know my good (rare) driver shots are 50 yards longer than my 3 wood!

What Rubbish.... Keep them:rofl: