Distance

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hit my 9i about 110, my driver about 200, thought i hit it about 250 but nowhere near,wots that all about?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont worry too much, those distances are what most people actually hit anyway. Most golfers talk tosh when it comes to how far they hit the ball.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont worry too much, those distances are what most people actually hit anyway. Most golfers talk tosh when it comes to how far they hit the ball.

I'd like to agree, but I feel those numbers are down. Not so much the 9i, but certainly the driver....

I'm with Homer on 230 (but getting better). 200 is almost certainly improveable quite easily.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to think I hit the ball much further...until I got a Garmin S1 with a 'measure shot' facility! My distances are not untlike yours.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with going to see your pro. Get him to have a look at your swing because it appears you are loosing power somewhere. My mate 'pistol pete' was struggling with a lack of distance at the start of the season, he had only been playing for a year though. But he had a couple of video lessons and he is now hitting the driver around 30 yards further with more accuracy and hitting a 7i instead of a 5i from 150 yards.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd like to agree, but I feel those numbers are down. Not so much the 9i, but certainly the driver....

I'm with Homer on 230 (but getting better). 200 is almost certainly improveable quite easily.

I disagree. Most people I see play dont hit the ball over 200 yards. They think they do but thinking and doing is a different thing.

Look at your home club on google earth or the like and plot out distances from the tee to average driving distances (realistic ones) So many people tell me they drive around 230 - 250 yards when they are hitting more like 180 - 210.. You cant just look at the 150 yards marker and estimate how far you have hit.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
is 230 not the average for the amature player? id say thats about right you know! is most people are hitting just 200yards then how do most people ever reach a par 4 in two. of course they are hitting over 200 with the big stick. no wind btw!

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I recall reading an article whereby a bunch of amateurs played 3 holes of a tournament course and they compared their performance with that of the pros. Across a wide range of handicaps the average driving distance was 200 yards.

When i connect with one i can get it out to 230-240 (and I would say most people could find that kind of distance with a lesson) but more often than not 200 is about average for me and from what i have seen most other high handicappers.

Everyone has a natural distance IMO. Look at the guys on tour, some of them, despite having technically sound golf swings, are 30-40 yards short of the big hitters. There's no real explanation for it....

Think some of the lower handicappers are guilty of judging everyone by their own slightly higher standards here.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
is 230 not the average for the amature player? id say thats about right you know! is most people are hitting just 200yards then how do most people ever reach a par 4 in two. of course they are hitting over 200 with the big stick. no wind btw!

Hitting a par 4 in two is what is expected of a scratch player. Some par 4's are only around 350 yards, thats a 200 yard drive and a fairway wood/ 6 iron for many people. Longer par 4's over 400 yards are difficult for the average Joe to hit in two, thats why they get extra shots on them. Take a look at the statistics for your course and see how many people hit grens in regulation in medals.

Just do what I suggested: Look at your home course in Google earth and measure distances that average drives hit. OK, google earth is a 2D application so it's best to measure fairly level fairways. I think you may be surprised.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
looking at our first hole, id be surprised if someone doesnt hit it 220-30 with no wind. into the wind then your looking at a 200yarder. the thing is that there is an upslope around this distance.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that the everyday golfer only hits it 200 yards with the big stick. That means he hits at best a 5i 150? I look at my course and the blokes I play, that includes the old men in the Tues/Thurs roll-up. Apart from a few I would say a majority of them are over 200 with a driver.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I recall reading an article whereby a bunch of amateurs played 3 holes of a tournament course and they compared their performance with that of the pros. Across a wide range of handicaps the average driving distance was 200 yards.

When i connect with one i can get it out to 230-240 (and I would say most people could find that kind of distance with a lesson) but more often than not 200 is about average for me and from what i have seen most other high handicappers.

Everyone has a natural distance IMO. Look at the guys on tour, some of them, despite having technically sound golf swings, are 30-40 yards short of the big hitters. There's no real explanation for it....

Think some of the lower handicappers are guilty of judging everyone by their own slightly higher standards here.

I'm a 27 Hcapper and have always been able to hit it over 200yds on a calm day. Average when I first started was 225-230. Now after getting more consistent I carry the ball 235yds average and get run to 265 on firm fairway hits.

Hitting a par 4 in two is what is expected of a scratch player. Some par 4's are only around 350 yards, thats a 200 yard drive and a fairway wood/ 6 iron for many people. Longer par 4's over 400 yards are difficult for the average Joe to hit in two, thats why they get extra shots on them. Take a look at the statistics for your course and see how many people hit grens in regulation in medals.

Just do what I suggested: Look at your home course in Google earth and measure distances that average drives hit. OK, google earth is a 2D application so it's best to measure fairly level fairways. I think you may be surprised.

I would disagree big time with this. As I said above what my distances are and those are from Trackman using the laser rangefinder and calculating from distances left to greens.
Not only that but I would class myself as an average distance at my club. Many guys I play with would out drive me by a good 20 yards. The low single figure guys would be hitting the par 5's in 2 never mind the long par 4's.
As for the comment about scratch golfers I played with one last week and he carried the ball further than I get with run.

Another pensioner at my place who also has early stage emphysema can hit his 4 rescue club 200yds and he's not tall either and plays a fade.