distance with the wedge

mancity101

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i am struggling to get any distance with my wedge - at most goes approx 90-95 yards, i play off 10, i have the ball positioned instep of left foot (right hand player) strike ball then turf, but seems to go nowhere. Any suggestions?

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought it should be positioned more towards your right foot say 8" from left and 6" from your right foot (ish).
Saying that, 90 yards does not seem that bad to me. :D

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally, I position my pitching wedge central to my stance for a full shot, and just right of center and heading towards my right foot for a short pitch shot. As my clubs get longer, I position the ball a little further left of center, finishing with the driver just inside my left heel.

No doubt the "know it all" will tell me that's all wrong, but that's the way I've been taught.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi,
It should be centre of stance for a full shot it might be a 54 degree or something like that if it is the same as your 9 iron there maybe something wrong with it, with the ball nearer your left foot will cause you to hit it higher so loosing distance.
Regards Michael.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I have 100 yards to go I'm reaching for my PW. Any more than this and I am beginning to get out of my comfort zone and will start really trying to muller the ball which often results in a fatted/thinned shot. If you are comfortable with 100 yards, stick with it.
On a par 3 of just over 100 I will often take a 9 iron and swing a bit easier rather than risk my timing (what little I have) going to cock.
I hate hitting wedge off the tee, and tend to find a nice piece of grass to hit off of rather than tee it up. I get right underneath it if it is pegged.
Having said that, our 7th is 128 yards off the blue tees, green sits down a fair bit. I smacked a wedge long there the other day but it was downwind a little. But as I say, 100 yards and wedge it is for me (and it's 46 degrees).

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am struggling to get any distance with my wedge - at most goes approx 90-95 yards, i play off 10, i have the ball positioned instep of left foot (right hand player) strike ball then turf, but seems to go nowhere. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure even the "single-ball-position" would suggest playing a wedge just inside left foot, but it depends on how you play everything else.

I play it dead centre with the hands forward. A nice one can get up to 120, so yes, something's not right.

I might just be me, but I'm also careful to make sure my grip is not too "strong"......it's easy to pull/hook short clubs striking down. I'd rather the ball came out high/cutting and only 105-100 yards than hoik it left.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to hit all the wedges from no further forward in the stance than centre. Depends what I am looking for, and might put it right back to the right foot.

PW: 120 yards
52: 100-105 yards
56: 85-90 yards

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm with Smiffy here. 100 yards is ideal for my PW and I can make a nice smooth swing. I wouldn't want to be trying to get my 52 degree out that far as like him any remaining timing I have goes to pot and the ball could end up anywhere but next to the green.

As for position I play my wedges from the middle and the nine iron upwards moving fractionally forward with each club. I think the best answer to the OP's problem would be to go to a practice ground somewhere and measure the distance per wedge using a GPS device. Maybe then measure 3/4 and 1/2 swings and get a real feel for the average distance.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I can either take a choked down PW or a full 50* shot on 100 yards, I just open my stance and then can get a high or punch shot depending on ball position and whats at risk.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can either take a choked down PW or a full 50* shot on 100 yards, I just open my stance and then can get a high or punch shot depending on ball position and whats at risk.

Risk ? with an open stance ? How about swinging down the line of your open stance without the clubface staying open. Nice pull to the left and probs in big trouble. Or maybe even getting right under the ball and hitting a high , weak cut

S

Snelly

It sounds as though you may have the ball too far forward and are sliding the club under the ball a little which is losing you some distance. It is difficult to tell without seeing you hit a shot though. How far does it go if you punch it a bit more?

For what it's worth I hit a steady wedge about 135 yards.