Wedge struggles

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Having some issues with my wedges from gap to lob, if I hit them fully the ball just scoops up in the air with no distance, IV been hitting my irons well this year but inside 80-90 yards the wedges are costing me strokes, and I'm now expecting the ball to come up short which is messing with my confidence and club choices, any advice would be great

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried hitting those distances taking a little more club and using a 3/4 swing?
I really should be doing that but no, I'm pretty sure I'm flicking the club early before impact and it's adding loft, kind of more skimming the bottom of the ball rather coming in steep and compressing it, I'm going up tomorrow and I'll try what you say
Cheers mate

Jason.H

Visit site
Have some range sessions and pitching/chipping with just your wedges. You’ll soon get a feel for them. Personally I’d recommend not more than 3 quarter swings with wedges, just concentrate on a good strike.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really should be doing that but no, I'm pretty sure I'm flicking the club early before impact and it's adding loft, kind of more skimming the bottom of the ball rather coming in steep and compressing it, I'm going up tomorrow and I'll try what you say
Cheers mate
Yea, I was going to say it might be early extension adding loft. Maybe you could get someone to video your swing from side on, then slow it down so you can see the impact position.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks I'll take it on board I'm going up tomorrow and I'll head up a bit earlier and try take some video, chipping 10/20/30y I'm on the money, just the full swings, @Jason.H IV been watching some videos and most say the same thing from 50° and up should be no more than 11 o'clock (if your swing was clock hands) I'll trry shortening my back swing thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you driving the head through the ball or are trying to flick the ball up in to the air at or after impact?

The loft on the club is what get the ball airborne not trying to get it up by lifting the head of the club at or after impact.

Is the ball too far forwards in the stance thereby adding loft.