Direct golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is Ashley selling off the stores one by one? Read on here few weeks ago that a number of stores had disappeared.. online seems poorly stocked now aswell

Went down my range for lesson yesterday and their closing (romford) the shop. All stock 10% off marked prices . Rumoured to be American Golf lining up to move straight into it. Which I must say would be fantastic. Whilst I don’t use the range anymore (too busy ironically since the protrace installed!) the range has the lot. Astro greens that all year round provide great targets to aim for. Auto load bays, protrace with simulator feature so you can play a round of golf on it

I even tested my current irons there before the AG double trade sale otherwise I’d of been straight down there to buy them as I loved the feel. Always better testing on a range

Has great potential considering how much foot traffic it gets with the various modes of golf they have there now .. footgolf. Crazy Golf, the range. Short game area. 18 hole course just opened etc

Owner is gonna make a killing and AG can clearly see it!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to DG's website there are only 5 stores within 500 miles of Oxford!!
Rapidly becoming an insignificance.

Such a shame really. Was talking to my coach after the lesson saying shame about the shop

He said Ashley didn’t stock it with high end gear he just flooded it with dunlop stuff which people didn’t want and didn’t stock your pings or taylormade

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm glad. It was a terrible shop with terrible staff (at least my local store was), wouldn't buy anything from them if you paid me.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Is Ashley selling off the stores one by one? Read on here few weeks ago that a number of stores had disappeared.. online seems poorly stocked now aswell

Went down my range for lesson yesterday and their closing (romford) the shop. All stock 10% off marked prices . Rumoured to be American Golf lining up to move straight into it. Which I must say would be fantastic. Whilst I don’t use the range anymore (too busy ironically since the protrace installed!) the range has the lot. Astro greens that all year round provide great targets to aim for. Auto load bays, protrace with simulator feature so you can play a round of golf on it

I even tested my current irons there before the AG double trade sale otherwise I’d of been straight down there to buy them as I loved the feel. Always better testing on a range

Has great potential considering how much foot traffic it gets with the various modes of golf they have there now .. footgolf. Crazy Golf, the range. Short game area. 18 hole course just opened etc

Is this the range at the Moby Dick? If so, my range too. It's excellent.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Would AG want two shops in Romford?

Current shop in Romford isn't too bad - however Lakeside is a different story, that really is an awful place and the service even worse.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe there is another angle.

If top brands want their gear in Ashley's shops maybe they are going to have bring their prices down to the levels he sells gear at.

It is already noticeable that he sells the top end golf balls and top branded shirts where as once they were never in the stores.

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
I can't help but feel DG is now only a small step up from Sport Direct in terms of quality of golf gear.

Its great for new comers however, making the game more affordable rather than scaring them off with Titleist gear prices!

D

Deleted member 18588

Are Mizuno, Titleist, TaylorMade and Callaway not major brands?

All of the above are available at my nearest Direct Golf.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Direct Golf had a pretty terrible offering. Don't think I ever bought anything from them and wouldn't even bother looking round the shop if I was in one.

Got to disagree with this, picked up an Adams Tight Lies 2 3 and 5 wood brand new for £29 each as well as a new Callaway putter for £20 which is lovely. They do have the odd decent thing in there but like most cheap places you have to be steady and wait for the best deal on the better stuff.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Got to disagree with this, picked up an Adams Tight Lies 2 3 and 5 wood brand new for £29 each as well as a new Callaway putter for £20 which is lovely. They do have the odd decent thing in there but like most cheap places you have to be steady and wait for the best deal on the better stuff.

You've pretty much described a terrible offering. Most of it is crap and you have wait for anything worth buying.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got to disagree with this, picked up an Adams Tight Lies 2 3 and 5 wood brand new for £29 each as well as a new Callaway putter for £20

Nice bargains :thup:

The nearest DG to me was always a bit poor (with very pushy staff). When it was taken over by Sports Direct it got even worse, to the point that on my last visit I pretty much walked in and straight back out - the shelves were half empty and the clothing was all cheap tat

I think it's since been taken over independantly which should be an improvement

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this the range at the Moby Dick? If so, my range too. It's excellent.

it is indeed! I found out today how they funded the new course.. TFL paid them a very large sum to dump crossrail tunnel soil on their land...... so he basically built the course for free!

excellent range but find it far far to busy now!