Digital Scorecard

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With the current COVID crisis changing the rules and regs of golf I pondered about handicaps and scorecards, since golf is back on the menu I've been using an app (Tag Golf) which has a facility to share a scorecard. Moving forward could this be the new method of keeping our scores without the need to swap cards or sign them?

D

Deleted member 16999

With the current COVID crisis changing the rules and regs of golf I pondered about handicaps and scorecards, since golf is back on the menu I've been using an app (Tag Golf) which has a facility to share a scorecard. Moving forward could this be the new method of keeping our scores without the need to swap cards or sign them?
Which app? Do you mean TAG Heuer Golf? Cheers

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Such devices are already in wide use around the world.

Since 2019 the definition of Scorecard has included:

The scorecard may be in any paper or electronic form approved by the Committee that allows:
  • The player’s score to be entered for each hole,
  • The player’s handicap to be entered, if it is a handicap competition, and
  • The marker and the player to certify the scores, and the player to certify his or her handicap in a handicap competition, either by physical signature or by a method of electronic certification approved by the Committee.
In addition England Golf has published this:

• If competitive stroke play is played, a method of scoring needs to be used that does not require any handling or exchanging of scorecards
• Committees may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b, or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b. For example
• Players may enter their own hole scores on the scorecard (it is not necessary for a marker to do it)
• It is not necessary to have a marker physically certify the player’s hole scores, but some form of verbal certification should take place
• It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way
• As provided in the Rules of Golf, scorecards can be electronic, which could include emailing or texting scores to the Committee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We used an app on Pros day the other year. Can't remember which one but it fed straight back to the pro shop and clubhouse and a live leaderboard. A simple google search brings up a host of different electronic scorecard apps so clearly there is the technology out there. I guess it depends on how clubs can utilise this technology and make it open and equitable to everyone and perhaps more importantly everyone buying into using their phones. While that shouldn't be an issue I am sure some will have issues

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This came up as a thread last year I think. I remember I was amongst a number being mocked for backing such a suggestion. Never has an IKEA pencil and a piece of card been more heavily defended ?.

If this brings something forward then I'm all for it.