Different Lofts on Irons

If you have a 4 iron that is 23 degrees and a player hits it 200 yards. Then you give him another 4 iron and its 24.5 degrees, what would you say the change in distance would be roughly ?
Same again if you have an 8 iron and you hit 160 yards and then you try another 8 with 2 more degrees of loft ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1 degree of loft on irons equates to about 3-4 yards for the same shot - that is same swing, same connection, same everything.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Irons are normally made at 3 or 4 degree intervals so an 8 iron for example might be 39 deg and a 7 is 35 deg.
If you are 10 yards between clubs a 1 deg change would mean about 2 1/2 yards not counting the 1/2 in difference in shaft length between clubs.

Why do you ask?

Ahhhhh totally forgot to factor in the shafts.

I had a set of Tour Burners with a regular shaft and I have now just got TM R9 TPs with a project x 6.0 rifle shaft (stiff). The burners were about 1.5 to 2 degrees less that the set of R9 TPs so I am worried i was going to lose some distance but with these shafts should i now be ok ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It depends if the shaft suits you.

There will be a swing out there that hits the furthest with regular shafts and another one somewhere that hits furthest with stiff.

The only important thing is you know how far the ball should go. If it's now 5 yards less then who cares as long as you hit that distance more often than you used to hit your other distance with the other clubs.

You'll soon know if you land 5 yards short of every green :D