Difference between range and course...

AsianPandaSi

Visit site
Hey everyone I have a bit of a query and issue!

What is the difference between hitting of a range mat and hitting off grass?

Reason I'm asking is that I can hit almost consistently off range mats but yet I am less than consistent on the course.

Anyone got any advice???

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Simple answer is the quality of the strike is highlighted better off grass (in my opinion) where off a mat the club can skid and still produce a half decent strike. Also, on a range, but also a grass practice ground, there is usually another ball and so no consequence to a shot. A range is fine if you are working on a specific swing change, say after a lesson, in order to ingrain it. As I've begun to realise though there is is no substitute for getting onto a course and just playing and learning how to golf rather than how to hit balls

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ranges tend to be 100 yards wide too so moderately well struck feels better than it would on a tree lined fairway. This time of year Id suggest finding a grass area to practice on rather than a mat.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Welcome along. Simple answer is the quality of the strike is highlighted better off grass (in my opinion) where off a mat the club can skid and still produce a half decent strike. Also, on a range, but also a grass practice ground, there is usually another ball and so no consequence to a shot. A range is fine if you are working on a specific swing change, say after a lesson, in order to ingrain it. As I've begun to realise though there is is no substitute for getting onto a course and just playing and learning how to golf rather than how to hit balls

I agree but will add that alignment is easier achieved at the range whereas on a grass practice area/range you set up no different to when on a course.

I rarely use a range (mat) and I drive further to a grass range as it replicates what I need to do on a course.