Difference between insert and milled putter

V

vkurup

What is the difference between an insert putter and a milled one. I play with a Taylormade Ghost Spider which is a face balanced insert putter. I like it. A mate just invested in a Scotty Cameron milled one. He hasnt let me use it yet. I am wondering what is difference between the two... is it just feel?

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Milled putters are shaped from a single lump of steel and insert putters have a face material inserted to change the feel of contact with the ball.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The difference ? About £150

Apart from the £££ difference.

Milled putters, IMHO, are more predictable off the face. Every insert putter I've ever own'd has had the same issue. Some impacts feel a little numb, others spring off the face at a rate of knots.

I find milled putters give a more consistent roll than insert putters.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Many (probably most) insert putters are also 'milled'! Certainly all the ones I've used have been.

And some of the inserts (if they are metal) are milled also! Again, I've used plenty of those.

So this discussion shouldn't be so much about 'milled versus insert' as 'insert vs non-insert' imo.

That's not to say that 'deeply milled/grooved' putters like Yes or Rife don't act differently again!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I agree with Gareth, you get a better impact with a milled putter. The harder you have to strike a putt the more inaccuracy you introduce so the solid impact of a milled face is best. This is what Stan Utley, authour of "The Art of Putting" advises. Great book, by the way, written by the man who holds the record for putts in 9 holes in a PGA event, 6 at the 2002 Air Canada Open

V

vkurup

Yesterday, I hit a few practice putts with my mates Scotty milled.. The balls just fly off. Same shot with my Ghost Spider insert is more predictable (for me).. However, i think it is a practice issue. He swears by his Scotty. He said it was a toss up between a Yes and Scotty. He plays off scratch.

He wrote "The Art of the Short Game" too! I've read it loads of times & it's done me a lot of good.

Is their a pdf of this? Just saw this video..http://youtu.be/bzS_HwzChaA

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Difference..?
Oct/Nov average - 30.25 putts per round
Dec/Jan average -28.05 putts per round

If it saves me 2 shots a round then what's not to like..?

V

vkurup

Difference..?
Oct/Nov average - 30.25 putts per round
Dec/Jan average -28.05 putts per round

If it saves me 2 shots a round then what's not to like..?

Which one was lower?

BTW, has anyone got fitted for a putter?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yesterday, I hit a few practice putts with my mates Scotty milled.. The balls just fly off. Same shot with my Ghost Spider insert is more predictable (for me).. However, i think it is a practice issue. He swears by his Scotty. He said it was a toss up between a Yes and Scotty. He plays off scratch.

Is their a pdf of this? Just saw this video..http://youtu.be/bzS_HwzChaA

I use a Yes Ann putter, I've found the feeling off the Yes putters excellent. Think I've a better feel for pace since I've been using it. Good thing as well is that the Yes putters can be bought cheap enough