Difference between good and great shots...

AndrewG

Assistant Pro
www.a-george.com
Playing off 18.3 at the moment, and have had 3 lessons from a local pro. Each one has improved my ball striking, setup, grip, etc and I've now shot the last 8 rounds to either a touch under or a touch over my hcap, 88-95.

On my last round though, I noticed an odd phenomenon. On 5 or so approach shots, with anything from a 7I to GW, I would hit the approach in such a way that I just 'felt' the shot was cleanly hit, and near perfect. Each one started low, before swooping up high, and stopped within 12 inches of the considerable pitch mark on the green (they were pretty soft after some overnight rain). On all the other approaches, I feel that I'm picking the ball off the surface, resulting in the odd thin, and in the cases where I got it into the air, it was much more an up-down arc, and a good bit of roll, either on the green, or off.

I've got a lesson in a couple of hours to try and find out what I'm doing differently on the 2 types of shot. My driving is pretty good (75% in play, with a makeable approach), putting is almost always a two, with occasional 3's or 1's (which is fine, as a par is a birdie for me!), so my biggest problem, and the thing which is preventing me getting my hcap down to my target of 15 by the end of the summer, is the fact that I'm only making 20% of greens in regulation...

I'll let you all know how I get on, but I'd appreciate any info on where that feeling comes from, and if I can buy it :) !!

AndrewG

Assistant Pro
www.a-george.com
Well - took him about 30 seconds to see what the problem was. Hands level with ball at contact, not turning the hips through the shot. Left wrist was subsequently breaking early, giving the 'flipping-up' effect. It explains the fact that most of the time I get the ball up ok, but have a tendency to thin it.

Got a couple of drills to work on now to groove the hands forward, strong left side, full hip turn, chest towards target, head hurts..... He's a great pro, on the ball, and we're on the same wavelength. And only a tenner for 45 minutes too - with video !!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good news. Now the hard work starts but to me the practicing is all part of it (sad aren't I). Work hard on the drills but don't go out on the course with too many technical thoughts. You are clearly playing well anyway so just let the stuff you work on flow naturally. Good luck and let us known how low you go next time

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would hit the approach in such a way that I just 'felt' the shot was cleanly hit, and near perfect.

Gotta love it when that happens. I can only remember maybe 5 shots in the last couple of years where I've thought, "Wow, that must be how the pros hit it every single time!".

First time ever it took me by surprise. Was hitting a 7I approach shot and it felt different. I took quite a divot, which isn't like me, but hit the ball perfectly before the ground, which was *totally* unlike me. And I didn't feel myself hit the ball, and it sounded great. My initial reaction was worry that I'd hit a mishit, but I looked up to see my ball sailing dead straight, doing that thing you said where it seems to climb and climb, then coming down quite steep and stopping very quickly, (but over the back of the green because I hit it way further than I thought I could!)

golfnut18

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ive just had a lesson with the pro who decided that i needed a slightly steeper plane - i was too flat resulting in a lot of pushes when my timing wasnt perfect. in the range today i was hitting shot after shot the way your describing. The balls were taking off almost like a jet and coming down nice and softly ( i was even getting back spin on the mid irons), i cant wait to be able to repeat them time after time on the course!! Stick with it mate and im sure you will get to the stage when your repeating it time after time. good luck