Didn't know the answer!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We all know that a ball can end up in a bizarre or very unexpected position through weird/lucky bounces or deflections. If my ball was out in the open and very obvious - and in roughly where I and my partner/oppo would expect it to be - then when spotting it I would assume it was mine (as too obvious to be someone else's) and might well say to my partner/opponent - 'ah - there is it'. Partner wanders off - then I get to the ball and find out it's not mine. I'd try and alert my partner to the fact and that I was continuing to look - but that is not always possible or you might disturb other players in doing so. Hunting on I might then find my ball. Again if my partner/oppo was close by I'd try and alert him to the fact that I'd found it - and even invite him to confirm that it is my ball. But again - that is not always possible. I'd end up playing my ball - trusting that my partner/oppo trusted me in what had happened. That's all you can do - trust in golf is utmost.

It sounds like your opponent is not totally trusted - that really is his issue. All I'd suggest is that you must trust your opponent in circumstances where 'cheating' is not obvious. I'd mention the incident and my 'surprise' to the club secretary - but make NO accusations. Let the secretary stick it in his little file of his 'possible misdemeanors'. I would suggest that you just keep it to yourself - or if you talk about it do so giving anonymity to your opponent.

Then just leave it at that.

Last edited: