Design your own course.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a couple of courses that change characteristics during the round. East Devon is mainly a heathland course but has a few parkland holes. Which frankly I love, another one goes from Parkland to Moorland.

In terms of length I'd say 7000 is absolute maximum and would look closer to 6,600. 4 par 3s, 3 par 5s, 11 par 4s. Par 71.

It should be designed to that on shorter par 4s the driver has an element of risk to it, either with bunkers, water of just tight fairways with long rough around where a long driver would be hit. Want people to have to think about their tee shot, a good driver yields a significant advantage but slightly errant and punished. Not for long Par 4s or par 5s.

Par 3s don't need to be long, 180 maximum for me, but they should be tight, with trickier greens. So a good shot can hit the green, but only landing in the right area will get you close.

In terms of aesthetic would like mature trees, deciduous for the parkland with a deep green for the grass. On the heathland lots of heathers, a lighter green and cliff top views like East Devon

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
More par 5s than par 3s.
Lake that comes into play on several holes.
A par 3 that is all carry over a hazard (Sawgrass 17th kind of idea), no more than 160 yards.
Clubhouse in the middle of the course, love courses you drive through to get in.
A few driveable par 4s. Real risk reward holes. Probably with water.
Par 5 start and finish.
A severely downhill par 3

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
5 x par 3s, 5 x par 5's and 8 x par 4s.
Heathland.
AT LEAST 5 tees for every hole to make the course playable for all.
As many have said, an elevated tee shot on a par 3.
The shorter the hole, the more bunkers I'd have.
An awesome halfway hut with lots of crispy bacon!
A stream wandering it's way through the course.
No road noise from anywhere on the course, but lots of wildlife.
A lovely, welcoming clubhouse.
My very own parking space!
My very own free lifetime membership!
Some holes that dogleg to the right and others that dogleg to the left.
Just one driveable par four.
A grass driving range and good practice green/bunkers.
Maybe a lake with a fountain and two or three arms that come in to play.
Large greens to offer plenty of different pin positions .................... all undulating, but all playable.
Maybe a couple of two-tier greens.
A few fairway pot bunkers, but reasonably wide bunkers.
No required carries over 160 yards.