Design your own course.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A bit of a follow on from the course designer thread.

If you could design your own course and have it built, money no object, which key features would you put into the course?

Would it be links, heathland, parkland etc?

How many par 3’s 5’s would you have?

Any lakes etc?

I’m having a slow day at work so will give it a think!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Mine would be a woodland or heathland course, maybe next to a lake, so that arms of that lake or contributing streams could be used as natural water hazards. Preferably slightly hilly ground. Fairways relatively tight, so that precision off the tee is more important than distance, but with one or two more open holes where the longer hitters can go for it. I think I would go for four or even five par3s and par 5s. And I would love at least one par 3 where you hit down to the green from a severely elevated tee, like from the top of a hill or a cliff. Four tee boxes on every hole, rated for men and women. And the course would definitely have a very nice and comfy halfway hut with good food.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally think this is something that holds UK golf back in that there are very few new courses - obviously no need - and so most people playing don't appreciate modern design or what a well designed / well built course could be like. Most players don't really appraise the architecture of courses, or probably even discuss it much as they take it for granted, given their regular course has been there longer than them.

I'd go for something along the lines of Trinity Forest (they are playing on the PGA Tour this week). This is a Ben Crenshaw / Bill Coore design. Notable for wide fairways, not much in the way of rough and a lot of contours / humps and hollows. And NO trees in play, although trees obviously surround the land the course is situated on.

The idea being, similar to the Old Course, that a wayward shot might not necessarily mean searching about in the rough or among leaves / branches in the trees. However a well placed shot will leave the best line into the green, rather than having to maybe hit it over a bunker or over a hump.

Absolutely would not want; forced carries over ponds, trees in play (encroaching into fairway, or just off), or areas of thick / heavy rough where balls could be lost. More than 1 or 2 blind shots.

Would want - cross burns or streams to give players the option of going for it or laying up. Combination of raised Raised greens that are a challenge to hit and big St. Andrews like rolling greens. Great contours and slight elevation changes. A biarritz green. Some penal fairway bunkers to make the longer hitters think about taking less than driver.

A links or heathland - wouldn't matter too much.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to spend hours doing that in Tiger Woods 2005/06, until they took away the course architect program.

Never forgiven EA for that.

D

Deleted member 1147

Parkland of 7,000 yds, made up of 4 par 3’s, 10 par 4’s & 4 par 5’s

Par3’s would be 150, 170, 190 & 210 yds

Par 5’s would be 500, 520, 550 & 570 yds

Par 4’s would include 2 holes under 360 & 2 over 470. With a mixture of doglegs going both directions and some dead straight.

This should give good variety and the options for risk and reward on some holes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is only one thought that I have constantly when it comes to course design.

Start the round with a long very tough par 3.

That then sets the pace of play for the round.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have seen some fantastic heathland on the way to way to my course. On the same sand belt that runs from Liphook through to St George’s Hill.

Heathland means great all year round conditions. Lovely birch, firs etc to give some protection from the wind.

Variety of holes to give a par 70, with four par threes, two fives and the rest fours. Holes going in different directions especially the threes and fives. No par three over 200 yards, and one around 120 yards to a small heavily bunkered green. Just like our 12th.

Some elevated tees, not too many blind shots, and natural bunkering. Not a fan of the US style courses with hundreds of bunkers, the majority of which are not in play. Greens tucked into corners of course with trouble behind rather than at front of green. Allows shots to be run into greens. Greens sloping from back to from, and raised to give good drainage.

Cross between my course and Hankley Common would fit the bill.(y)

Wolf

Visit site
I'd go for a Heathland course, par 72 with 4 x par 3s at lengths that vary from 130 - 200 yards. 4 x par 5s that give the player opportunity to go for it 2 with risk and reward but then offer a chance of playing it more conservatively to. The rest made up of par 4s with varying tees that offer different ways to play the holes and 2 must be fairly short to give a chance at birdie..

Using mounds and hollows as ways of protecting holes as well as smart bunkering. But most of all never to start or finish either 9 with a par 3.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like the layout of the Berkshire Red course with 6 holes of each par. I find it more interesting.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
theres a park opposite me where I walk my dog and I often image building a course there. Not sure it’ll get 18 holes in but it’ll make a great 9 holer

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There is only one thought that I have constantly when it comes to course design.

Start the round with a long very tough par 3.

That then sets the pace of play for the round.
I rather have something easy for my 1st shot in front of the clubhouse. Maybe a par 4 where I can lay up with any club and don’t have to hit a perfect driver.

But finishing on a par 3 would be nice. Imagine a hole in one observed by everybody on the terrace ...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No bunkers, no trees, no water, no ditches, no heavy rough , no OOB , no hills, no doglegs, no blind shots, no more than 6500 yards, :D just for starters.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I rather have something easy for my 1st shot in front of the clubhouse. Maybe a par 4 where I can lay up with any club and don’t have to hit a perfect driver.

But finishing on a par 3 would be nice. Imagine a hole in one observed by everybody on the terrace ...

I hate par 3 opening and closing holes. Always feel slightly cheated by a par 3 finish.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For amateurs, par 3s should be less than 200 yards and par 4s less than 450 yards - golf needs to be fun and anything more than these are usually not.

A good course will have no 2 holes the same, good bunkering, risk/reward par 4s and 5s. Good greens and great views are also high on my list.

A parkland course that is 7000 yards will be a total slog for most and be potentially a 5 hour round for a 4 ball or a medal.

D

Deleted member 1147

For amateurs, par 3s should be less than 200 yards and par 4s less than 450 yards - golf needs to be fun and anything more than these are usually not.

A good course will have no 2 holes the same, good bunkering, risk/reward par 4s and 5s. Good greens and great views are also high on my list.

A parkland course that is 7000 yards will be a total slog for most and be potentially a 5 hour round for a 4 ball or a medal.
I’m an amateur & I enjoy them.
I like hitting long irons and the added pressure of having to be accurate from range.
A lot of courses have too many wedge approach shots for my enjoyment.