Derren Brown...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched a programme with him in tonight...

Very clever and gifted man?
Or con artist?

HID has just told me what happened.
Since it's mathematically (statistically) impossible, something is dodgy, VERY dodgy.

I like and admire him, but this takes the rich tea.......

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched a programme with him in tonight...

Very clever and gifted man?
Or con artist?

All of the above. He would be the first to admit it.
He has never claimed to be psychic and even denys it's existence. His television making ability is never in doubt though. I'll be watching on Friday night no doubt.

I was golfing tonight, did he predict the lottery numbers accurately?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I caught the last two minutes where he watched the draw simultaneously taking place on BBC1 and then turned his balls that I assume had been in full view throughout and predicted all 6 main balls in numeric order

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember him playing 12 chess grand masters at the same time, and beating nearly, if not all, of them, even though he can't play chess.

He had the room laid out so that as he moved from table to table, he copied the move of the grand master from the previous table. So although they thought they were playing Derren, they were actually playing each other.

AndrewG

Assistant Pro
www.a-george.com
I'm barely over sawing the person into bits, moving the halves to opposite sides of the stage, and having the little foot wiggle out of one of the tiny boxes. He's a very clever guy, but as he admits himself, nothing but a trickster...

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I watched a 'how does he do it' program on DB once - I was astounded at his ability to control minds.

The program let you see the show then showed you how it was done, and it was fantastic to see how DB can do it.

To be honest at the time I thought about the mental side of golf, before the show I did not believe in the mental side, now I am a total believer in mind golf. Rotella would be nowt on BD, he could probably even get me to scratch. :D

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Look for youtube clips of it......the theorists have a very good idea of how it was done.
Apparently , while everyone was concentrating on Derren Brown as he watched the draw , the full screen , very cleverly and expertly done , goes to a split screen. So the balls you see on the left of the screen are actually a 'still' image whilst the real balls are being manipulated but Derren Bown himself is in realtime . Some hawkeye spotted one of the balls actually changed position during the transition....

Sorry to spoil the mystique if its true !!!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did anybody waych the reveal programme?

Wanna fill the rest of us in on how he done it?

We all know its an illusion and I have watched youtube clips of theories but missed tonights show, so come on guys spill the beans :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Watched the programme, he didn't really explain it, but then you didn't expect him to did you? If he was really abel to predict, wouldn't he have set himself up for life by now, there's a good £85 million waiting on the Euro jackpot...........?

I did predict the same order of boxes that woman with mickeyphobia chose, before she chose them. It's down to laws of probability and power of suggestion. Does make for good TV though, the coin toss and the knife under the cup were good entertainment too. Looking forward to getting stuck to my sofa this week.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember him playing 12 chess grand masters at the same time, and beating nearly, if not all, of them, even though he can't play chess.

I remember him doing something like that once too, with five chess players I think, two of whom were grand masters, and yes, very clever to play the guys off against each other, yet make it look like he could simultaneously play, and beat, some of the country's top players.

My all time favourite, (and I don't know if this skit was genuine), but he went to perform at a dinner party of about 12 people. He played the word-association game at the end, but in such a way that he would say a word, the person to his right would then say the first word that came into their head, the next person to the right would then say the first word that came into *their* head, and so on, around the table. Derren wrote a secret word on a piece of paper and sealed it in an envelope, said his word to get the game started, then left the room. One by one the guests played the game, and the final person said his word, which happened to be "black". They all looked at each other, then one of them opened the envelope and written in big letters on the piece of paper was "BLACK". Either very preceptive of him, or just a set up.

I certainly believe he can read people and pursuade them to do or say things. Like when he talked to the actor Simon Pegg, who entered the interview with a piece of paper in his pocket, onto which Simon had written something that he would like as a present. By the end of the interview Derren had made Simon believe, 100%, that the object he wanted and had written on the piece of paper was a BMX Bike. Simon was therefore not only amazed when Derren produced a BMX out of a box, but astonished to find that in actual fact he'd written "Leather Jacket" on the piece of paper he had in his pocket. Weird. (I saw this on YouTube, but can't seem to find it.)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember seeing one where he left a woman in a room with a kitten in a glass 'cage'.

There was a button which when pressed would kill the kitten.

Brown had planted so many thoughts and suggestions in the womans head before he left the room that she ended up pressing the button, in tears.

I think there was also £50 or something for her to win if she didn't press the button in 5 or 10 minutes. (I might have got that wrong and the money was to press the button, not sure).

He is very very good at what he does, but I thought the lottery thing was lame, unless the point was to get the nation beleiving he could do it without resorting to camera tricks.