Deep Bunkers and Right to get Out of them

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm expecting to see a whole series of Crocodile Dundee style replies on the lines of 'call that a bunker?' ��

:rofl:

[video=youtube;P5udnQXNOZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5udnQXNOZk[/video]

Saw no future in playing towards the hole. Lol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Kind of agree. I have to say SILH they do look quite fair (maybe even benign if this is an example of tough)

Not suggesting that they are unfair - simply that the green side faces are being built steeper than they were and where previously there was a roll-off down from the green level to the top of the face that is no longer there - the face goes all the way to green level - so they seem quite a bit deeper. Getting out is all about having and having confidence in a decent bunker technique. But that does not remove the initial 'blimey' reaction. Then you realise that your ball will run away from the face into the middle of the bunker so the impossible shot from tight to the face will be very rare.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not suggesting that they are unfair - simply that the green side faces are being built steeper than they were and where previously there was a roll-off down from the green level to the top of the face that is no longer there - the face goes all the way to green level - so they seem quite a bit deeper. Getting out is all about having and having confidence in a decent bunker technique. But that does not remove the initial 'blimey' reaction. Then you realise that your ball will run away from the face into the middle of the bunker so the impossible shot from tight to the face will be very rare.

So you had sand traps and now you have some bunkers....🤔

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So you had sand traps and now you have some bunkers....🤔

I'll not argue with that differentiation - even though I don't quite fully understand it. They weren't 'splash' bunkers before - they were real greenside bunkers - just that they have steeper and in most cases a slightly higher face - though the increase in height might only be a foot or so. Some of them do however induce 'North Face of the Eiger' type thoughts - though of course we are talking pampered and cossetted Surrey golfers :)

D

Deleted member 1418

Very close.
It is Woodhall Spa but it's the 12th and very similar

Every time I've played the Hotchkin and been in a bunker I've got out in one. In my mind if I can do that on the Hotchkin, I can do that anywhere!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

58AFE2D8-C54C-41A4-AB75-DAE832078B3C.jpg

This is a personal favourite

And from another angle - great fairway bunker

B3ACEE9F-8A33-4EE7-A7BD-29541BB154DA.jpg

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Been in a few deep/nasty ones(Wentworth West and Walton Heath both had/have plenty as do most links courses) and generally got out pretty well - even if sideways!

Key is clubhead speed (thinking accelerating through the shot!), along with manufacturing effective loft - by starting with highest loft wedge and (in my case) opening my stance up. In extreme cases, I may open the face up a small (tiny) amount but, for me, that introduces a risk of the hosel coming into play!

@SILH. Those faces don't really look all that difficult, provided green staff (and players of course) rake the sand properly. I'd suggest some sort of newsletter/page on website that documents the reasons for the change, options/technique for getting out and a reminder of how to rake them would be a positive bit of PR, compared with just presenting a fait accompli and letting members struggle, then moan about the change!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been in a few deep/nasty ones(Wentworth West and Walton Heath both had/have plenty as do most links courses) and generally got out pretty well - even if sideways!

Key is clubhead speed (thinking accelerating through the shot!), along with manufacturing effective loft - by starting with highest loft wedge and (in my case) opening my stance up. In extreme cases, I may open the face up a small (tiny) amount but, for me, that introduces a risk of the hosel coming into play!

@SILH. Those faces don't really look all that difficult, provided green staff (and players of course) rake the sand properly. I'd suggest some sort of newsletter/page on website that documents the reasons for the change, options/technique for getting out and a reminder of how to rake them would be a positive bit of PR, compared with just presenting a fait accompli and letting members struggle, then moan about the change!

Agree with you on all points

In fact the new 'china clay' (?) sand we are using actually makes playing bunker shots easier as you can play them the proper way as we all understand it to be (you can actually 'feel' the bounce as the clubhead goes into the sand behind and under the ball).

Our Pro and main teaching pro have recorded a video showing how to play out of the new bunkers; our head greenkeeper has done a video showing how we should rake the bunkers - especially on how to smooth the sand around the edge of the bunker so that balls have a good chance of rolling to the middle, and on 'direction of rake'; and our main teaching pro is running group lessons (£5 a throw) on playing out of them.

All sorted - and they look magnificent. Well - those that were done this last Winter Programme do - another two decent winters should see them all done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All about technique. If the fundamentals are correct, then it should be possible to get out of most bunkers, dependant on lie. A simple question, how many clubs have a decent practice bunker and how many actually go out and work on their technique regularly?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All about technique. If the fundamentals are correct, then it should be possible to get out of most bunkers, dependant on lie. A simple question, how many clubs have a decent practice bunker and how many actually go out and work on their technique regularly?

Absolutely. The intention is that all of our bunkers are consistent (at the moment they are very variable) and that the type of sand encourages development of a sound bunker technique - a technique that will get us out of any of the bunkers (regardless of how deep or steep-of-face some might seem) unless we are very unlucky with where our ball ends up. To that end about a year ago we built a test 'new' bunker at the side of our practice chipping/pitching/bunker play - and our pros and head greenkeeper team are doing what I have mentioned that they are doing for us - vids and cheap (£5) group lessons.