Decade Golf

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve been listening to a great podcast by mark crossfield called hack it out and he is accompanied by the creator of decade golf. One episode they talked about it and it’s about doing more course management practice than constantly trying to improve technique. Anyone looked into this and have any thoughts. Their app is really expensive.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah, in effect, determine your shot dispersion pattern for every club (easier said than done for most amatuers, and probably rather insulting to the ego!). Aim your shots so that dispersion pattern

A. Doesnt go into a penalty area,

B.has best percentage of the area somewhere the next shot is given best advantage.

If you have access to a launch monitor you can get dispersion areas pretty quickly, if you use a range and walk them out it takes forever.

I recon you need at least 20 balls to get a real view of your area.

Once you have your area, use google earth to plot your way around your course. Prepare to be targetting the fattest part of the green on every hole you ever play. Unless you are a very accomplished player.

For example, the tour players have wedge dispersion of 28 feet, nearly 10 yards, imagine on your local course trying yo fit that circle on a green so it doesnt touch any bunker, water, rough, short side etc. Now imagine your a 10 handicapper and your wedge dispersion is triple that.

It will save you shots, but you need to put alot of effort in, and need an iron will to avoid firing at flags...

For shots that cant reach the green, same thing regarding avoiding hazards, but hit as much club as possible to get as close to the green as you can. As per the strokes gained insights the being closer in the rough is better than being further back in the fairway...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah, in effect, determine your shot dispersion pattern for every club (easier said than done for most amatuers, and probably rather insulting to the ego!). Aim your shots so that dispersion pattern

B.has best percentage of the area somewhere the next shot is given best advantage.

If you have access to a launch monitor you can get dispersion areas pretty quickly, if you use a range and walk them out it takes forever.

Once you have your area, use google earth to plot your way around your course. Prepare to be targetting the fattest part of the green on every hole you ever play. Unless you are a very accomplished player.

For example, the tour players have wedge dispersion of 28 feet, nearly 10 yards, imagine on your local course trying yo fit that circle on a green so it doesnt touch any bunker, water, rough, short side etc. Now imagine your a 10 handicapper and your wedge dispersion is triple that.

It will save you shots, but you need to put alot of effort in, and need an iron will to avoid firing at flags...

For shots that cant reach the green, same thing regarding avoiding hazards, but hit as much club as possible to get as close to the green as you can. As per the strokes gained insights the being closer in the rough is better than being further back in the fairway...
Really interesting thanks. I’ve got a SkyTrak so do some of that already

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Seems like sucking the fun out of the game to me.

But I guess if your goal is to score the best possible above all else then it's probably the way to go.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve been listening to a great podcast by mark crossfield called hack it out and he is accompanied by the creator of decade golf. One episode they talked about it and it’s about doing more course management practice than constantly trying to improve technique. Anyone looked into this and have any thoughts. Their app is really expensive.
decade is really interesting, the price though is Astromical for what it is

Podcast wise, massive fan of Lou stagger and Scott fawcett. Refuse to listen to it because of the other clown doing it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our pro reckons he can get me round in level par by him playing a few rounds with me during which he manages my golf, shot selection and clubbing. I am going to take him up on it :)

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a look on YouTube there are a few videos Scott has done that delve into it a bit. I managed to get a month free when he did a deal when the US Open was on, its was interesting but I watched all the videos and would have had to of waited till the next month to actually get into it as its seems you only get a certain amount of vids a month.

I have certainly learned more about hitting driver on my course from the stuff that I have watched, and that for sure has given me confidence in taking driver off the tea knowing that I'm not getting myself into trouble.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
decade is really interesting, the price though is Astromical for what it is

Podcast wise, massive fan of Lou stagger and Scott fawcett. Refuse to listen to it because of the other clown doing it
I know exactly where you’re coming from but he’s a different person on the pod. Worth a listen.