Dashcams as standard

• yes

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • no

Votes: 13 27.7%

• Total voters
U

User62651

If dashcams help reduce insurance premiums for all us 'considerate' drivers through reductions in scams/fraudulent claims then it's a good thing imo.

I get my vehicle through our company leasing scheme and recently they have decided all their new vehicles will have dashcams fitted. I think we are headed this way for all.

Only issue I've got is clutter about the windscreen but if they can get them small and fitted behind the rearviewmirror that'd be good.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Every car manufacturer is moving towards some form of autonomous driving, where you need a combination of gps, cameras and Lidar to work out where you are on the road and what is around you. So soon this information will replace the need for a specific dash cams.

Also as others have mentioned, they only show one view of the situation. They may show someone overtaking quickly and swerving in a bit at the last minute, but they may not show the fact the car that has been overtaken has been pithering along at 20 mph in a 40 zone for 2 miles holding up a stream of traffic. So difficult to justify the need to have them 'as standard' based on the usefulness of them.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Every car manufacturer is moving towards some form of autonomous driving, where you need a combination of gps, cameras and Lidar to work out where you are on the road and what is around you. So soon this information will replace the need for a specific dash cams.

Also as others have mentioned, they only show one view of the situation. They may show someone overtaking quickly and swerving in a bit at the last minute, but they may not show the fact the car that has been overtaken has been pithering along at 20 mph in a 40 zone for 2 miles holding up a stream of traffic. So difficult to justify the need to have them 'as standard' based on the usefulness of them.

I agree with what you are saying but in the example you have quoted the fault doesn't change due to the fact another driver was driving slowly. I have just done a driver awareness course and it was stressed in no uncertain terms that the speed limit is the maximum speed, not the compulsory speed.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I agree with what you are saying but in the example you have quoted the fault doesn't change due to the fact another driver was driving slowly. I have just done a driver awareness course and it was stressed in no uncertain terms that the speed limit is the maximum speed, not the compulsory speed.

I agree and it was just a random example that dash cams will only show a snapshot of most incidents. Excessively slow and hesitant driving at times when you are not expecting it can be also be dangerous driving. In reality you will always have the conflict between certain drivers who see the speed limit plus a certain percentage as OK, and those that see going 30 or 40% below it as fine. Go at 68 mph in the outside lane of most motorways and see how long you last before you have another car right up your jacksie.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
If dashcams help reduce insurance premiums for all us 'considerate' drivers through reductions in scams/fraudulent claims then it's a good thing imo.

I get my vehicle through our company leasing scheme and recently they have decided all their new vehicles will have dashcams fitted. I think we are headed this way for all.

Only issue I've got is clutter about the windscreen but if they can get them small and fitted behind the rearviewmirror that'd be good.

Not doubting your driving skills but I am willing to bet a pound to a penny that everyone on here would consider themselves to be a considerate driver. No one has ever said , I'm the most inconsiderate driver in the world. ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not doubting your driving skills but I am willing to bet a pound to a penny that everyone on here would consider themselves to be a considerate driver. No one has ever said , I'm the most inconsiderate driver in the world. ;)

Er, my last 8 cars have either been Audi's or BMW's. I must be inconsiderate!

ridonver

Visit site
I have a cheap dashcam that I bought at 4wheelonline. Have no problems with it though I decided to get the Blackvue since it has Parking Mode recording which offers security while my car is parked.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
This review on Amazon...

zPE8e

This cam has great reviews, but this person is obviously wanting it only to capture and report bad driving, that may not include them.

If a car hits me, I have the plate anyway as it’s probably close enough to read and I can see it too.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
it was stressed in no uncertain terms that the speed limit is the maximum speed, not the compulsory speed.

My rule is to drive at limit -3 as my target maximum. So I usually drive along between 26 and 30 in a 30 zone.

I always have a stream of traffic trying to overtake me when driving in non-rush hour traffic. Certain roads I can guarantee you people will pass me, even if I’ve strayed up to the limit.

Personally I strongly dislike driving, it’s a necessity and I do it 2 hours every day. Worst two hours of my day.

I will get a dash cam but is just to protect against fraud. To show at the time of any incident what my car was doing.

When reading up on dash cams it seems 1/5 reviews seem to be about how it’s too fuzzy to see number plates for shopping people... put me right off!