Dale Hill

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thinking about a little short break with the lads next march and Dale Hill looks quite smart and at £109 for 1 night, 2-course dinner meal, breakfast and a crack on both courses. Has anyone else been? Would you recommend it or should I look elsewhere?

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds like a decent deal. the woosnam course is a longish slog on foot so i would advocate a buggy for when you play it. both are a test of your game and i dont think you will be dissapointed

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never played the Woosnam course but played the other one many times always enjoyed playing there, sounds like a good deal to me.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've played the old course twice and am playing the woosnam for the first time this coming Sunday.... Am happy to report back after that.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never played the Old Course but understand it's pretty ok. The Woosnam course is , as has been said, pretty long mainly because buggies were obligatory when it first open. It's a decent track and the greens are usually good.

I actually purchased the house I live in whilst playing the 2 par 5's on the back 9 so the course holds a memory for me.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played both a few times, but a few years ago now.

The Old Course is a bit "up and down" for the first 8/9 holes but then gets a lot tighter and more interesting with some good holes. Fairly short at just over 5500 yds off the yellows with 2 par 5's and 5 par 3's. It's par 69 and SSS 66 off yellows which is fair.

You really need to be on your game to score well on the Woosnam course. The design had obviously been dictated by the land and contours available but a few holes are, IMHO, just a tad silly - even if you know the course and play accordingly. It's only around 6,000 yds off the yellows but a long walk none the less - not that I've walked it as all the times I've played it, it's been a shotgun start and my "1st" tee has been the 6th or 7th. You can't get much further from the clubhouse and the walk would be a good 20 mins each way.

As far as catering goes, I've only played there in interclub seniors friendlies or seniors opens and the food has been an excellent standard. I can't comment on what it's like for golf break visitors.

All in my opinion ............

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, all seems very positive so I'll be sorting this out methinks.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Having played the Woosnam course a few times, I think you will enjoy it much more if you walk it. And if you find the drinks expensive, there is a pub just up the road.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've never played the Old Course but understand it's pretty ok. The Woosnam course is , as has been said, pretty long mainly because buggies were obligatory when it first open. It's a decent track and the greens are usually good.

I actually purchased the house I live in whilst playing the 2 par 5's on the back 9 so the course holds a memory for me.

Must have been a long old round? Takes about 6 months to buy a house doesn't it?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played the Woosnam a few weeks ago:
Bit tricky to find the pro shop (also Pro shop charged me for a bucket of balls when they were free due to the event i was in - sneaky buggers!)
Car park can get very busy
Course was in okay condition but a few fairways were a bit soggy in places and some of the bunkers had really compacted sand
Greens were okay, seemd true and easy(ish) to read
Some very good, challenging holes
Stroke index 2 is lovely
Some really nice, tight nice par 3s
i didnt find it too long
there are a few downhill shots to the greens which are always good fun

I really enjoyed it.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have also played both courses a few times. A great venue with excellent food and service. The deal mentioned by the OP is very good value in my opinion.