cutting in

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
at the two clubs i'm a member there are a couple of places to cut in though at Nairn its well known that the hole before must be clear before you do. witnessed a couple of groups cut in at the Kings last night a two ball and a 4 ball both cut from the 7th to the 16th tee, only trouble was there must have been a comp on and there was two two balls playing the hole before (15) in the comp and both were staning waiting on the 16th tee for the 4 ball, who all failed to hit the green (its a par 3)

so got me thinking Does your club have a policy on cutting in our do most clubs have the unwritten rule of making sure the hole before is clear etc??

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
at the two clubs i'm a member there are a couple of places to cut in though at Nairn its well known that the hole before must be clear before you do. witnessed a couple of groups cut in at the Kings last night a two ball and a 4 ball both cut from the 7th to the 16th tee, only trouble was there must have been a comp on and there was two two balls playing the hole before (15) in the comp and both were staning waiting on the 16th tee for the 4 ball, who all failed to hit the green (its a par 3)

so got me thinking Does your club have a policy on cutting in our do most clubs have the unwritten rule of making sure the hole before is clear etc??

We have 3 starting points, 1, 10 and 13. If you start on 10 or 13, the greens on 9 and 12 before must be clear. You cant start on them if there is a competition on though.

dronfield

Visit site

Last week a mate and me were walking onto our par3 16th green, when another 2 ball just walked across from the nearby 14th green and teed off on 17! Bang out of order.

We had words & they offered to let us play through - light was fading so we just told em to carry on.

Ridiculous.

Rich

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We allow players to start from the 10th but priority must be given to players coming through the car park from the 9th and so if there are people on the tee, irrespective of whether any of them have played they should stand aside. That's the theory at least. Rarely happens, and green fees in particular seem reticent to move although the pro shop is next to the tee so very easy to solve that problem. It's usually members who are reluctant to move aside and then follow a group, especially if the hole had been clear

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Usually there should be a full clear hole before you can cut in, but ! when we play our 9 hole comp, we use a composite course of holes 1 to 8 then we cut in and play the 15th [ takes you nearer the clubhouse ]
Our local rule is to alternate with any other games coming from the 14th.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
we allow folk to start on the 10th, but the rule is the 9th (a par 3) must be clear before you cut in.

have to say it doesn't work terribly well as quite often you have folk waiting on the 9th tee for the party ahead to clear the green, so if you stick by the rules, it can be pretty difficult to cut in. have seen a few disagreements on the 10th tee as a result.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
also at our place, 6 and 7 are long par 5s, and you get quite a few folk - particularly older members - playing 9 holes who prefer to jump from the 5th green to the 15th tee (both are adjacent). that actually works ok as long as no-one is part way through playing the 14th.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two 'additional' start points but they are classed as unofficial for general play, the 5th and the 12th we have guidelines in our handbook for their use and players starting on them do not have standing. Similarly any body coming to the 1st tee having started on either the 5th or 12th must have a tee time booked for the 1st tee.

We get quite a few payers in the evenings who will play 5-11 or jump from 4 to 12.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nights when I am out by myself I would occasionally cut in or cut across if i catch a group up.

But I am very very careful and ensure the hole before and the hole ahead are clear before doing so.

I find it extremely rude for someone to cut in and then hold the group behind up in any way shape or form. Even if it is only for that hole it is plain rude.

One day I was playing by myself and it was getting dark quickly. I was only playing 9 holes and was on the 8th and someone had cut in from our 4th. They were walking just down from the tee box and just kept on walking. I ended up having to walk the 9th as I waited 5/6 mins on the 8th tee box. Really really rude, the fact is, he could have easily let me tee off and played the last two holes together as we were both singles.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

We have a spot at the 13th tee, where people can cut in from the 5th green who are only playing 9 holes.

Only rule is that people playing the full 18 have priority. So I guess in theory if you tried to cut in, you would have to wait until there was a gap and if there was group after group on the 12th hole then you'd not get in.

But other than when there are 9 hole medals on, it's not really a problem and people just don't bother cutting in if there are people playing the 12th.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No rules at current club. But at previous club the 9th green and 10th tee were by the clubhouse car park - and so a 10th tee start was common. Rule was that a group starting on the 10th could proceed and tee off if the players on the 9th did not all have their balls on the green. If all balls were on the green then the new group would wait - or could tee off but had to immediately call through.

If I am in a group (or by myself) cutting across then I take the view (might me etiquette but it's not a club 'rule') that we immediately let a group playing a full round through as soon as they catch us up.

D

Deleted member 21258

Suppose you could start on the 1, 5, 10 or 15th at our club.

Sign says you need shop permission to start on 10th, but people regularly start on 5th.

Jumping holes, cant instantly remember seeing people doing it there.:unsure:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Not allowed to start on our 10th if there is a group on the 9th.
Doesn't stop people including ex captains and Presidents doing it though...

We have same said rule.

It's quite easy to jump onto 7 from the first or third at ours, this frequently happens later in the day, have done so my self as long as I can't see anyone playing on 6, but not everyone seems to care

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 3 starting points at 1, 10 and 19 as it is a 27 hole course. You can start on any one of those holes and the rule is that if there is a queue on the starting tee, those already halfway through their 18 alternate teeing off with those on the tee. Not an ideal position as you can get slowed up on the back 9 if, for example, the one of the other tees shuts for a comp or a match. Technically you cannot cut in anywhere else but I have swapped over to a different loop of 9 before if that one is empty and it is slow on the 9 I am playing but I only do that if the hole before and the hole I am cutting on to are clear and normally only if I am playing on my own.