cutting across drives

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Seem to have a problem with my driver in that I am cutting across & losing a lot of distance, I think my take away is ok but when I come to hit the ball I am catching the heel of the club from an out to in angle.

Tried the basket just outside the line drill & sent the plastic basket & few balls left in it scuttling half way down the range.

I assume that I'm moving forward on the downswing as my address is fine but when I get back to the ball I'm catching it right out of the heel.

Anyone had this problem or got any drills which may help?

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do what I've been doing ever since I started the game - Address the ball off the toe of your driver and then swing away! :cool:
It works................mostly! :p

When it doesn't......... :D :D :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Are you setting up too close to the ball?

Normally, when I catch one out of the heel it's normally because I've set-up too close to the ball.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You don't necessarily have to cut across the ball to get a fade if you hit it out of the heel.

In the same way, if you hit off the toe with an otherwise good swing it will draw.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
are you sliding your hips instead of turning through the ball? If your hips slide your arems will come to the ball late leaving the face wide open. Try straightening the left knee, this will allow you to clear the hips but your arms will be able to catch up thus squareing the clubface.