Custom Fitting

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good day folks, new member and someone just returning to the game after being away for about 15 years. Anyway, seems custom fitting is the way forward for new clubs, so gonna go for that, however, has anyone done this recently ?? I was in American golf yesterday and got very conflicting results from two separate blokes on two separate occasions :mmm:

Another thing I've found since my return is the price of irons now, holy bejeezus, over a grand for the new X forged irons, and you only get 7 of them, what has happened since I've been away....:rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All clubs have rocketed this past year. It is a theme that has cropped up often on here. New iron sets used to be £4-500 at the top end. In 12 months they have now become £900-£1,000. Crackers.

Better qualified people than me will respond re custom fitting, I'm an ebay fella :D

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in American golf yesterday and got very conflicting results from two separate blokes on two separate occasions :mmm:

Howdy, that quote seems to follow a pattern of late regardless of your location, no harm in gathering some data from a fitting then search online for older clubs of a similar ilk.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best bet is probably to secure a decent set of the previous incarnation of x-forged from an auction site of your choice, pop along to your local pro for an MOT style lesson and have him tweek the setup if required.

You can buy a small car or half a street oop North with the change.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Intrigued, tell us more...

First time in guy measures my wrist to floor and says, hmm...likely flat, I agreed, my old Pings were orange dot flat, goes in another day, the club they had out was a 2 degree upright 7 iron, I hit a couple of balls off the board with tape on the bottom....flush centre marks on the tape...go figure.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First time in guy measures my wrist to floor and says, hmm...likely flat, I agreed, my old Pings were orange dot flat, goes in another day, the club they had out was a 2 degree upright 7 iron, I hit a couple of balls off the board with tape on the bottom....flush centre marks on the tape...go figure.

did you hit any balls with the 1st visits static measurement assessment (likely flat) ?

what you describing is the difference between static & dynamic fit - in an ideal world the custom fit would take both in to account (plus looking at your own current irons - assuming you had some - to look at the wear on the sole)

static measurements could indicate one thing but dynamic taking into account how you stand & set-up to the ball plus how the swing technique delivers the club into impact - can show other stuff

could be that the dynamic assessment of 2º upright happened because of some issues with the swing technique

(plus golf stores fitting even club manufacturers in general have got into the theme of index players needing more upright lies to assist in not slicing the ball - not a good ways to go per se - my take)

have you had any lessons at all ?
often times walking into a store getting fit with maybes swing motion & impact delivery issues can mean walking out with clubs that should you then take lessons most likely would mean the 'lie angles' on the new clubs need to be looked at all over again

my take & advice would be try to find a pga pro who teaches but also does club fitting with the aid of a launch monitor

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would rather go to a decent fitting centre and try the major brands. Not only would I trust the information I'm getting compared to AG but the fitting centre will normally have more shaft options available

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I hit balls on both occasions, it was only on the second occasion was there tape fitted to sole of club. There is a specific callaway fitting centre not 15 miles from me (St Andrews) My pro said he will get me an appointment with them, usually £65 but free as he's sending me, my issue is this, I have already told him I'm not prepared to pay £1100 for 7 irons, so this kinda puts both of us in a dilemma I think. He wants a sale, I want to buy from him, but the latest Callaways are the price above.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
They sold us rubbish for years according to the latest marketing literature 🤔

£350 for xr irons, just perfect 😀

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
In an ideal world with no budget we would all get the exact fit we require. That's not possible for most of us though. I would go to an independent fitter and pay for a fitting. Then take all the advice on which fits best for you and see what you can find on the second had market that meets your requirements.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In an ideal world with no budget we would all get the exact fit we require. That's not possible for most of us though. I would go to an independent fitter and pay for a fitting. Then take all the advice on which fits best for you and see what you can find on the second had market that meets your requirements.

But is an exact fit really out of everyone's budget these days? Many offer the cost of the price of clubs if you purchase through that fitter. Granted if you decide to go for some super exotic shaft option then prices can rocket but for a good fitting by a reputable fitter, ideally independent isn't as cost prohibitive as it once was

Che Grimandi

Visit site
Hi,

I used to play in my teenage years but now, 20 years later, I am trying to get back into golf and want to get some clubs custom fitted.

Question is, where and how do I do this? I've heard mixed reviews about American Golf so ideally would like to go somewhere else. Can anyone recommend anywhere - I've seen http://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/ but this looks a little too high end for my requirements...

For info, I'd like to try the Taylormade M2 irons or the Ping G400s and live in Hertfordshire but I don't mind travelling a bit.

I am getting lessons from a PGA pro at my local driving range and he is a Ping authorised fitter but it is not a particularly sophisticated set up there and I'd prefer something with Trackman etc.

Also, how does one get an appointment at Ping's fitting centre in Lincolnshire? Why would my local ping retailer send me there when he presumably could do the fitting and take the sale himself?

Any input gratefully received!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm all for custom fitting in terms of swing speed, to determine shaft stiffness, and do you have a flat or upright swing. And then there's are you 6'6" or 5' nothing. After that the vast majority of us have a different swing almost every other swing, hence a nett 65 one day and a nett 80 the next.

And then there's the fitness factor. You hit 15-20 balls to warm up, in relatively quick succession, and then you hit at least double that during a full fitting. Some of us old coffin dodgers need a lie down in a darkened room after that sort of madness. If half of us have the same swing at the end of the fitting that we had at the start I'd be surprised.

There's definitely some fundamental measurements that a fitting will highlight but I'm not convinced that the finite measurements, e.g. AoA of -0.5*, are really of much benefit to the average hackers like most of us.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you're getting back into golf I'd just go second hand for now.

There are huge numbers of quality second hand sets on ebay for no money at all, and plenty of classic sets as well for even less money which would be my advice. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi,

I used to play in my teenage years but now, 20 years later, I am trying to get back into golf and want to get some clubs custom fitted.

Question is, where and how do I do this? I've heard mixed reviews about American Golf so ideally would like to go somewhere else. Can anyone recommend anywhere - I've seen http://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/ but this looks a little too high end for my requirements...

For info, I'd like to try the Taylormade M2 irons or the Ping G400s and live in Hertfordshire but I don't mind travelling a bit.

I am getting lessons from a PGA pro at my local driving range and he is a Ping authorised fitter but it is not a particularly sophisticated set up there and I'd prefer something with Trackman etc.

Also, how does one get an appointment at Ping's fitting centre in Lincolnshire? Why would my local ping retailer send me there when he presumably could do the fitting and take the sale himself?

Any input gratefully received!

Where are you based