Custom fitting of Mizuno MP20 irons - interesting comments about turf interaction

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I watched this and they changed the irons due to sole thickness and then they made the club a bit more toe up.
I had dropped my GI irons because I thought the soles were too wide, and today I found that my strike quality was far better with the toe slightly up (you could get a 10pence piece under the toe)

Any comments?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Static assessment of the lie angle isn't, in itself, that relevant to your actual club head position at impact...many who have a high toe at static move their hands away from their body through impact - and have a perfect dynamic lie angle (but poor swing dynamics...)
The wider the sole the more forgiving in relation to steep angles of attack, which is why they are typically found on GI clubs 🤗

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ten pence piece under the toe is about right for a static fit.

It should always be remembered that the shaft flexes towards you in the swing which makes the toe go down.

Personally I have never liked wide sole irons. Where I play the ground goes very solid in summer and I have a tendency to hit ball and turf at the same time so get club bounce with them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Static assessment of the lie angle isn't, in itself, that relevant to your actual club head position at impact...many who have a high toe at static move their hands away from their body through impact - and have a perfect dynamic lie angle (but poor swing dynamics...)
The wider the sole the more forgiving in relation to steep angles of attack, which is why they are typically found on GI clubs 🤗
Yes I suppose a high toe indicates unnaturally low hands and the mechanics cannot get them back to that position

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ten pence piece under the toe is about right for a static fit.

It should always be remembered that the shaft flexes towards you in the swing which makes the toe go down.

Personally I have never liked wide sole irons. Where I play the ground goes very solid in summer and I have a tendency to hit ball and turf at the same time so get club bounce with them.
I am very similar in my strike. I found this video interesting because they offered a remedy and then went another step.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at the sole of any MP going back years, it’s pretty much the same shape imo. Lovely 😊

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
these new irons are 1/4 inch longer than prev MP irons, i'd have thought that might make it more toe up if you were used to the old legnth

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
these new irons are 1/4 inch longer than prev MP irons, i'd have thought that might make it more toe up if you were used to the old legnth
Mizuno were always 1/4 of an inch short compared to the other OEM's. Mainly because Japanese people tend to be shorter than Europeans. Will affect the lie angle by 0.5 degrees but I'm sure they are manufactured with this in mind 😉

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first pings were std lie and half an inch longer.. always flushed those.
But honestly for me it’s just a method of setting up

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
prob why ive never really got on with other irons, i must have long arms.....;)
It's the main reason I've never really played mizuno's, titleist off the rack lie angles are perfect for me in the blades/cb's.

I did however speak with a very interesting chap who has been a club builder for many years and he told me lots of manufacturers make their cavity backs/gi irons very upright in comparison to irons 20/30 years ago and the reason is because most amateurs slice the ball so they do this to help people hit it straighter or hit it right to left. Whilst helping alot of golfers I can see this being a problem for many too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's the main reason I've never really played mizuno's, titleist off the rack lie angles are perfect for me in the blades/cb's.

I did however speak with a very interesting chap who has been a club builder for many years and he told me lots of manufacturers make their cavity backs/gi irons very upright in comparison to irons 20/30 years ago and the reason is because most amateurs slice the ball so they do this to help people hit it straighter or hit it right to left. Whilst helping alot of golfers I can see this being a problem for many too.
Mizuno std leg/lie are perfect for me, always thought it was strange until the Mizuno fitter told me that most other OEM where 1/4 longer when i tried the last lot of JPX919 and i struggled to hit them, i'm 6ft so never occurred the MP were shorter