Custom fitting of irons

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning All

In recent months it has become apparent that my current clubs (Ping G15) are too short for me. This is not surprising given that they were purchased two years ago when I barely knew how to play and, as I have refined my stance and swing, their ill-fitment has become very apparent to me, my PPs and my pro. I'm therefore in the market for a new set of irons.

I am not wedded to Ping by any means nor am I attracted to the idea of using Trackman to analyse which clubs best suit me (as the cynic in me wonders how those machines are configured in American Golf et al) and therefore I am looking for anywhere reputable, as close to South Yorkshire as possible, where I would be able to try out a number of irons from different manufacturers. I am aware that Mizuno have a fitting centre at Grange Park and there is of course Ping's centre at Gainsborough but can anyone recommend somewhere with greater choice?

As a secondary query, am I more likely to realise a greater sum from trading in my G15s or sticking them on eBay, here or GolfBidder?

Many thanks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't answer the first part but if you want to maximise the return on the Pings I wouldn't trade in to Golfbidder or anywhere else for that matter. They will give you about 2\3rds what you would probably get on the market and put them up for sale at about double what they pay you.
EBay has its associated fees but a massive potential number of buyers
Gumtree is a decent bet and many a decent price can be had in the For sale forum here.

Having said don't trade in, if you find a set you like on Golfbidder you can part ex and not have too much hassle and less money changing hands

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd be looking for a range/club that offer a range of club options and a Trackman (or another version like GC2 etc) and trying as many as possible if you're set on a C/F set. Enjoy the process. As for selling the current clubs I'd go down the internet (ebay or Gumtree) route

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd be looking for a range/club that offer a range of club options and a Trackman (or another version like GC2 etc) and trying as many as possible if you're set on a C/F set. Enjoy the process. As for selling the current clubs I'd go down the internet (ebay or Gumtree) route
That's precisely what I am looking for, a club offering those options. The Belfry seems a bit far too travel for it!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's precisely what I am looking for, a club offering those options. The Belfry seems a bit far too travel for it!

Check out your local ranges and clubs. Many will have some fitting arrangements. May not be as fully comprehensive as somewhere like the Belfry but you should be able to get some idea of what works and doesn't. From there you can decide if you want to go to a manufacturer's own specific fitting facility or somewhere like the Belfry or similar for a more detailed fitting

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
So my pro has intimated that Belfry etc. simply take static measurements and then allow you to try out clubs in front of a Trackman. He's suggested that he does the static measurements and then I can go to try out clubs, see what suits me and then order accordingly. Any downside to that?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Can't answer where to go but can say that I too struggled with clubs that were too short. Had them lengthened by an inch and I'm hitting my irons better than ever.