Custom fitting in the South East

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new set of irons and want to be custom fitted for them.

Can anyone recommend a custom fitting centre in the south east of England that offers:

1) Excellent service;
2) A variety of manufacturers; and
3) Competitive pricing.

Silvermere seems to potentially tick the boxes, but I wondered if anyone has personal experience of a custom fitting session at their new facility?

I'm particularly keen to try Srixon and Mizuno clubs side by side, which I appreciate might mean it has to be Silvermere!

Alternatively, do you try to narrow down the clubs you are interested in testing on a launch monitor in advance of the fitting? So for example trying at a good range at American Golf (for example) to rule out the ones you don't like the feel of to help focus the fitting session?

I'm keen to do everything I can to make sure I end up with a set of irons that I will be happy with for many years to come.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I haven't used him yet, but from everything I have heard:
http://www.leeportergolfsolutions.com/

Very good reviews.

Another who has only heard good things - quite a few times - about Lee!

Heard mixed reports about Silvermere!

This mob might be worth checking out http://www.theclubdoctors.co.uk/home.html as they are in Kent to, but that's a pretty vast area! All the buzzwords are there, but the website is not complete and has been in that state for a few years! I've no experience of them myself.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
given where you are I would head for the Pro at King's Hill; based on everything I've heard about him recently.

if you want the full works then go and see Richard - http://www.theclubdoctors.co.uk/home.html

Thanks Duncan - sensible advice.

Do people that have been for the "full works" such as precision golf think it adds that much more than a standard fitting? The extra expense is seemingly significant and I'm not sure my swing is as consistent as it would need to be to warrant the precision.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in Tonbridge so very near theclubdoctors and also Kings Hill.

I've heard that West Malling are decent and I've seen their fitting facilities - facilities wise, I'd say Kings Hill is perhaps a bit better but I don't know about value or expertise.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have used the pro at Kings Hill before for lessons, very good. I got fitted twice at West Malling and would recommend the service and options they have available BUT I would be carefull that you haggle hard with them as they do try to fit the newest clubs on offer and therefore the most expensive (a common issue I would guess).
Always worth having a look on the internet after the fitting to check prices being suggested and I do see that West Malling now offer a price match offer, so that is no bad thing.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm in Tonbridge so very near theclubdoctors and also Kings Hill.

I've heard that West Malling are decent and I've seen their fitting facilities - facilities wise, I'd say Kings Hill is perhaps a bit better but I don't know about value or expertise.

Kings Hill did not offer as much choice of club or club fitting software as West Malling did when I got fitted.......but that may have changed since then?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Duncan - sensible advice.

Do people that have been for the "full works" such as precision golf think it adds that much more than a standard fitting? The extra expense is seemingly significant and I'm not sure my swing is as consistent as it would need to be to warrant the precision.

Over the years I've had fits at Precision Golf and most recently Silvermere on their GC2 HMT. Silvermere fit is fine for most golfers as they have a good array of heads and shaft for the stock golfer.

Where Precision add value is they will look at all parts of the fit, such as shaft length, kick points, swing weights, pureing, etc, to maximise your fit. You also get to try exotic shafts. Whether it is worth the extra outlay is down to the individual though.

For whats its worth, I'm still using my 910 driver I was fitted for by PG in 2011.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a lesson last week with Paul Page who's just moved from Kings Hill to West Malling. They gave a great Ping fitting room and a hugely better pro shop than Kings Hill.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson last week with Paul Page who's just moved from Kings Hill to West Malling. They gave a great Ping fitting room and a hugely better pro shop than Kings Hill.

Hi Chris - I've had a couple of lessons with Paul there since he moved. Kings hill's practice facilities are better than west malling's, but you're right about the pro shop range.

b101

Visit site
Over the years I've had fits at Precision Golf and most recently Silvermere on their GC2 HMT. Silvermere fit is fine for most golfers as they have a good array of heads and shaft for the stock golfer.

Where Precision add value is they will look at all parts of the fit, such as shaft length, kick points, swing weights, pureing, etc, to maximise your fit. You also get to try exotic shafts. Whether it is worth the extra outlay is down to the individual though.

For whats its worth, I'm still using my 910 driver I was fitted for by PG in 2011.

Would also highly recommend Precision - they don't oversell either and when I went for a driver fitting recently, they just sorted the shaft out and kept the head rather than trying to push anything else. Definitely produce results, but as Piece says, it depends what you're after - if you're clear with them from the start though, they won't go far wrong.

The best part of this was that they re-did the fitting for free after the first time I went we discovered that my angle of attack was absurdly low, meaning the fitting would have been worthless. They've also offered to look at the driver head again in a few months as my swing adapts to the shaft and the drills they gave me. Seriously good quality customer service.