Custom fitting golf clubs

baz1982

Visit site
Hi folks, new on here but was reading some of the threads which have been quite useful so thought id ask a question see if anyone can help?
Im considering some new clubs but would go cusom fit this time as been playing a couple of years now and after asking around i believe it could help my game. What I dont know is how the process works? how do you know which clubs are right for you to get custom fit. Do you try the off the shelf ones first till you find the one you like or do you stick with what you play with now? Do you go for a custom fit session and see which ones they recommend or go to a specific brand and hope they work for you?
Any help gratefully received

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you go to somewhere like the Belfry for a custom fit they will look at your swing, handicap etc and get you trying clubs that may be suitable for you. You hit about 6-8 clubs, they look at the figures and narrow it down to a final 3. You then hit them more extensivly until you find the club that is right for you. Did you have any clubs in particular you wanted to try? If its a certain brand aka Mizuno then one of their regional custom fi centres would work better.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you have an idea about what you would like then you can approach one of the manufacturer fitting centres, where you will end up paying a small price premium (over and above the absolute best market price) for the use of their services.

if you have no idea you could approach an independent club fitter/builder who will assess, propose and build for you

you could go to any major retail outlet for a basic assesment then go from there

so much depends on your budget, intentions and probably also you development to date

put another way, you can get a basic evaluation for little cost or committment, which may deliver 80% efficency or you can pursue perfection.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome enjoy!

Have a browse in one of your local superstores to see if any brand in particular catches your eye to start the process.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
WHat do you play off now? Are you still working on the swing and making changes. I have had both off the shelf and C/F and both have had merits. I am looking at changing my clubs in 2013 for the last time (no honestly) and I want to go back to C/F as I want to get the ideal shaft and head combination for my game. I have a few suspects in mind and will try these locally to whittle the list and I think will then go to the main fitting centre (e.g. Ping at Gsainsborough, Cally at Chessington etc)

baz1982

Visit site
WHat do you play off now? Are you still working on the swing and making changes. I have had both off the shelf and C/F and both have had merits. I am looking at changing my clubs in 2013 for the last time (no honestly) and I want to go back to C/F as I want to get the ideal shaft and head combination for my game. I have a few suspects in mind and will try these locally to whittle the list and I think will then go to the main fitting centre (e.g. Ping at Gsainsborough, Cally at Chessington etc)

Currently play off 18 recently had a few lessons to get a consistent swing, was told by the pro i have a very fast powerful swing which is probably why i get on better with a three iron rather than a hybrid.Happy with the swing now just need to cut out those silly shots i think i can make but blatantly cant!! its more my short game that needs work. Currently use a callaway diablo 11 degree driver and wilson fat shaft irons. Had them couple of years now and didnt know whether to hit a few off the shelf clubs first or try the main fitting centres see if any clubs jump out at me. Didnt know if the fitting centres have you there to try different clubs or only have you there if you know what you want to buy?
I live in northampton so if anyone knows of a good place to go that could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently play off 18 recently had a few lessons to get a consistent swing, was told by the pro i have a very fast powerful swing which is probably why i get on better with a three iron rather than a hybrid.Happy with the swing now just need to cut out those silly shots i think i can make but blatantly cant!! its more my short game that needs work. Currently use a callaway diablo 11 degree driver and wilson fat shaft irons. Had them couple of years now and didnt know whether to hit a few off the shelf clubs first or try the main fitting centres see if any clubs jump out at me. Didnt know if the fitting centres have you there to try different clubs or only have you there if you know what you want to buy?
I live in northampton so if anyone knows of a good place to go that could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Thorpe wood at peterborough is good. Digital net t help with the fitting and a driving range so you can see things for real. Got custom fitting system for callaway taylormade mizuno and ping. So you would be ablt to try lots of different stuff out.

baz1982

Visit site
Thorpe wood at peterborough is good. Digital net t help with the fitting and a driving range so you can see things for real. Got custom fitting system for callaway taylormade mizuno and ping. So you would be ablt to try lots of different stuff out.

Ok will be giving them a ring in the near future thanks everyone for your help

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you are thinking about Pings, the factory at Gainsborough shouldn't be too far, I've heard good reports of that.

If you are thinking of Mizuno, I have done that fitting and would highly recommend it.