'Custom Fitting' Bewilderment...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread illustrates that the problem with the old 'you're average height, so standard lie and length is fine' approach.

For a start, different manufacturers use different standard lie and length, sometimes differing even within one manufacturers model range. For example, the following 6 irons:

Mizuno MP69 is 37.25" long, and 61* lie.
Callaway Razr Black is 37.5" long and 62* lie. Adjusting for length, a 37.25" long Razr Black would be 62.25*
Titleist AP1 37.5" long, 62.5* lie. Adjusting for length, a 37.25" long AP1 would be 62.75* lie.

So there is an effective difference of 1.75* between these three irons. Is it any wonder someone who gets fitted for a Mizuno, then later gets fitted for a Cally or Titleist gets confused?

Second, height is only a rough guide anyway. Arm length and posture play a part too.

Third, as JO has said, you can engineer in shot preferences, upright for a draw, flatter for a fade.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure what part of Cambrideshire you are from mate but I would sujjest going to see the Pro at Thorpe Wood in Peterborough if it is not too far away. He has the a state of the art fitting bay and can get you set up correctly. He has the fitting system in there for TM, Callaway, Mizuno and Ping from what I remember so can really help you with what you want.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
Best thing to do is go to an independent club fitter who is not limited to certain brands for shafts, heads, etc. There are plenty about and they use the same fitting equipment as the big brands.

Visit site
Hi Foxholer

I realise that this is an old post, but can you send me this guys details ie the fitter in the Cambridge area. I used to go to Precision but have now moved to the Peterborough area and need to find someone up here who can help me with new hybrids and wedges. Thanks