'Custom Fitting' Bewilderment...

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
In around 2003 I purchased a set of Taylormade RAC OS irons. At the time I had a £99 set of clubs from the local golf shop and knew that at 6'4" they weren't ideally suited to my height. I went to my local pro-shop and was duly fitted for the RAC's.

My recollection of the experience was the fitter scratching his chin and saying 'you're tall so let's go +0.5" and you've long fingers so lets stick plenty of tape under the grips' I hit a few off a strike plate and he prescribed 2° upright.

In the intervening years I played Football on both Saturdays and Sundays so Golf was a fun activity for the occasional summer weekend. Fast forward to today and I've recently joined a club and am playing every week. My game is improving and I enjoy every minute I'm out on the course.

My quandary is that I'm unsure how well suited my irons are. Particularly that they are so upright. I've read a lot about the merits of correctly fitting equipment but in my area I'm unsure of where to go to have my setup properly (and quantifiably) assessed. I'm happy to pay for having the assessment done, but it seems everybody does it differently. I like the idea of a launch monitor of some description, as the stats are something tangible but it seems there is a large degree of subjectivity to these, as the results can be equipment setup/operator dependant.

I'm based in Cambridgeshire and foremost like to know how well my current irons are suited to me. From there I would consider altering or replacing them, if real benefits could be demonstrated.

A

Alex1975

What makes you wonder about how good they are for you?

If you are tall but have long arms you may not have needed the extra 1/2".

I would think the 2* upright are because of the extra 1/2"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Welcome back to golf - and its addictions!

Firstly, the 2* upright is the normal allowance for the addition of the half inch to the club length. Geometry of the stance and all that guff. Whether it right for you is a different matter.

A session with a 'Lie Board' is the standard way of checking (dynamically). Excuse the 'back to basics' approach if you know this, but.. Tape is put on the bottom of your club and you hit with the ball on a painted board. The paint makes a mark on the tape. Centre of sole = all good; Toe = too flat; Heel = too upright.

There is (or at least was) a fitter in the Cambridge area - pretty much like Precision (though perhaps cheaper) and he has a Trackman. I know him from another forum, have played golf with him (he's long) and would be happy to recommend him from other contacts experiences. If you wish, PM me your email addy and I will pass it to him (only!). I believe he still does fittings, but no longer through a/his fitting centre.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree completely with what has been said

I am 6ft4 and I had a fitting, it basically boils down to what part of you is the long bit...no wise cracks please!
My legs are longer in relation to my trunk than most, therefore my wrists are further off the ground, the height isnt everything. A proper fitter will figure that out in a very short time

Having said all of that, the difference between an .5 inch longer and 1 inch longer is so small that as a beginner you will have bigger things to worry about, the same can be said for 2 upright vs 3 upright...HOWEVER...the mental side of it can be significant, depending on your personality.

Make sense? Its all in your inches basically

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i had my mizuno's custom fit about 5 years ago now, 1 inch extra in length and 2 degrees upright and i'm 6 foot 2.

i thought they might be too upright for me now as my swing has changed a bit since then, (less choppy i hope!)

then i read somewhere on the net that rory mcilroy has his irons 1 degree upright, and he's 5,9-10 i think, made me happier about my 2 degrees, which i guess is about right for me

as said before you can go to a pro can get it checked on a strike board.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm just a tad over 6". My pings are green dot (2.25 upright).
Get yourself to a decent club fitter, wether that be mizzy, titleist or ping and see what they say. None of these places are going to try and sell you something that isn't right.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
oh right thanks

thought you were going to point out how some one of Rory Mcilroy's stature shouldn't be fitted with 1 degrees of upright or something along those lines, phew

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
oh right thanks

thought you were going to point out how some one of Rory Mcilroy's stature shouldn't be fitted with 1 degrees of upright or something along those lines, phew

It was funny because if I have my clubs 4° flat and Mickelson has his 2° flat why should it make me feel any better if we're 5" different in height?

His swing is his swing, as Rory's is not yours.

I suspect Rory has his upright because as a pro he grips down and/or stands closer to the ball. Possibly it's because he likes to play a push-draw?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
that's more like it...............

there's your answer o/p your height of 6 ,4 has no correlation to how upright your clubs are, perhaps you should get your lie's checked out again
i apologise for going down this line, other posters on this thread take note.

wish bobmac was around to give his view, oh yeah that's right :whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
just wanted the view of some one who "sells mars bars" to be honest

You'd be better off with......... some one who "owns a trackman" to be honest.

Seriously though, if you're in any doubt about your clubs you should think about spending £50 and going to see a fitter. It's not much more than a couple of lessons and will either confirm or remove any doubt you may have... and that will help your game. :thup:

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
can't argue with that logic,

serious question....

how would a trackman help set the lie of a club correctly?
from what i understand it tracks ball flight,
does it also track the club head path from different angles?

Tattiescone

Visit site
When I enquired about fitting the first thing the pro did was measure the distance from my hands to the ground....height never entered into it!:confused:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com