Custom fitted irons, too early?

felix

Visit site
Hi Guys,

i am currently a 24 handicapper playing on a championship links course who is playing with a set of off the shelf Titleist 714 AP1 irons and i am considering upgrading to a custom fitted set of irons. However i was wondering would it be worthwhile being custom fitted for clubs or would this not be advisable until my handicap is at a much more respectable level? say sub 18? also how much of a difference would you realistically see? thanks in advance

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, personally I would wait you have a good set of forgiving irons the other thing to ask is how long have you been playing and what steps are you taking to improve.

felix

Visit site
I have just finished playing my second full season although it is my first season at the links course after playing parkland and i have learned so much over the past year. I have just had a batch of 5 lessons and i am working on what i have been taught on these although practice and play has been very scarce of late due to weather and also planning a wedding. :oops:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just finished playing my second full season although it is my first season at the links course after playing parkland and i have learned so much over the past year. I have just had a batch of 5 lessons and i am working on what i have been taught on these although practice and play has been very scarce of late due to weather and also planning a wedding. :oops:
I would suggest getting your swing changes sorted first then think about getting fitted. Just in case the changes affect any fitting you do now. You don’t want to need to get refitted in a year or so

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I take it you're a young person so no reason to rush into buying new gear, although new shineys are always welcome.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Guys,

i am currently a 24 handicapper playing on a championship links course who is playing with a set of off the shelf Titleist 714 AP1 irons and i am considering upgrading to a custom fitted set of irons. However i was wondering would it be worthwhile being custom fitted for clubs or would this not be advisable until my handicap is at a much more respectable level? say sub 18? also how much of a difference would you realistically see? thanks in advance
Unless you are a very non-standard physique, I don't think you would see much difference for now.
TBH, if all of your kit is of a similar quality and vintage to the irons, I doubt it would make any difference before you are well into single figures.
If you can't get the siren voices out of your ears, ask a trusted decent player, or pro who has no interest in selling to you, to cast an eye over your kit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd stick with them and work on the swing changes over the winter. See how you're playing once the season starts and how the coffers are doing and then decide if you want to take the plunge to get a fitting. Your pro will give you some advice on whether they think its worth doing