Taking half inch off irons

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
So I was wondering if anyone new if cutting half an inch off of my irons if it would affect the club that much?
I've just been fitted for a new set of irons today and they said I could benefit from having half inch shorter irons.
So was going to have them cut down to see if it works better that way first.

Any help appreciated

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair it will make a difference...it's whether you'll be able to feel it or not that is the question
It'll drop the swingweight by 3 points and make it feel lighter to swing. Some people can feel 1 point, some can't feel 5.
Try gripping down the shaft a half inch further than normal.
It , more or less, replicates the feel you'll have if you shorten the shafts
If it doesn't feel much different....get that hacksaw out

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So I was wondering if anyone new if cutting half an inch off of my irons if it would affect the club that much?
I've just been fitted for a new set of irons today and they said I could benefit from having half inch shorter irons.
So was going to have them cut down to see if it works better that way first.

Any help appreciated

just grip down half an inch further than you normally do before you get the hacksaw out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure If I follow you.

You say you have been custom fit if. When they make up the set the swing weight and everything will be made to that fit.

I cannot understand if you are saying you will have them made as standard length and then cut them down or are you saying you will cut down your existing irons?

If you are cutting down new clubs it could well cost a new set of grips as well as there is no guarantee they will be able to remove the ones that have been fitted.

When it comes to changing swing weight many players do this simply because they change the type of grips that are fitted.

PS if my brain is working tonight bringing back the swing weight just means adding lead tape to the head.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure If I follow you.

You say you have been custom fit if. When they make up the set the swing weight and everything will be made to that fit.

I cannot understand if you are saying you will have them made as standard length and then cut them down or are you saying you will cut down your existing irons?

If you are cutting down new clubs it could well cost a new set of grips as well as there is no guarantee they will be able to remove the ones that have been fitted.

When it comes to changing swing weight many players do this simply because they change the type of grips that are fitted.

PS if my brain is working tonight bringing back the swing weight just means adding lead tape to the head.
I think he means his old irons, might be wrong.
Just do one iron (7 iron) and have a practice with that.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes. They’ll all be half an inch shorter. ;)

Seriously though I’ve done it myself, makes no perceivable swing difference other than being able to grip in my natural position without as much butt extending out my hands.

Tommygun16

Visit site
For what it's worth, I recently replaced my irons. Both were regular/standard length, but bizarrely the second set were half an inch shorter than the first. Hasn't made any difference (in fact I'm hitting it better, but that could just be the new iron).