Custom Fit on Existing Clubs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was more than a bit naive and took the word of a shop assistant at a major retailer that the irons that I bought were fine off the shelf and that I did not need custom fitting (this was ascertained through watching me hit 2 or 3 balls and with no measurements being taken). Stupid I know but I was new to the game. Anyway, I now want to have my exiting clubs fitted but have only seen custom fitting associated with buying a new set. Can anyone help with suggestions as to companies that may change the loft on my existng clubs as they are only 3 months old and I would hate to feel that I had wasted my money.Hzx znyone else had similar issues with retailes loig to make a quick and easy sale rather than offer the service that they promise?

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
I think I'm right in saying that american golf can adjust irons to an extent but not to a massive degree. It depends on your height, palm to floor measurement etc. If you're off average height you may find you're bang on. Take them up to the store, i dare say they'll have you hit a few balls for them and see what they can do.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I sm not of average height as am six foot one. Ironically I bought a wedge from the same company over the phone and they put an extra degree of loft on the club. I have used American Golf ever since and they have been super so I may drop my local store an email to see if they can help

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
having made some enquiries this morning, it does not look like my local American Golf can help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Would also help to know if anyone else has experienced poor or non-existant custom fitting and also about anyone who has successfully complained to the company concerned.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Go to your local professional. He/she will probably have the facilities to change the loft and lie of the irons, but I'm sure they would not do this until they had put you through the standard tests to see what is required. Take a lesson first; that will help.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
It seems strange that the company told you to have an extra degree of loft on your wedge. What reason did they give for it?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No reason given, just asked me for my height on the phone and informed this was necessary. Have only been playing for about year and only seriously for the last 6 months so am at a stage where I have to trust what the 'experts' tell me.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be me or them mixing terms, as I said I am fairly new to all of this. Did not extend the shaft but may well have been the lie.

damslice

Hacker
Visit site
If you live near a directgolf store, then i would recommend a visit to them, they all have outdoor driving ranges, no more hitting 2 feet into a net and then spending a small fortune ,you can demo any club. and they will do a loft lie etc check for you and change them there and then for you at a small price (£3 per club), and then you can have them adjusted anytime after for free. I will never use another store, to buy clubs aslong as directgolf are around. they are brillant.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The company you mention is the one I went to in the first place. It was their store that did not do the checks etc and said all was fine and their telephone ordering service that said I needed the extra degree of lie due to my height.

One of their stores also sold me a 3 wood with a senior shaft when I had asked for regular (again I should have checked but assumed they would sell me what I asked for) and it was only when I played a full round with it and realised that it did not feel quite right that I noticed.

damslice

Hacker
Visit site
did you hit off an impact board? what brand clubs are they. I think you need to get back to the store, and tell them exactly what your after. lets us know how it goes. which store was it?. i use the one at sandown. they let me exchange some clubs that i bought from them , after using them on a course, and going off them a week later, they still let me exchange them for a different set ( cobra fp). Now you wont find that in many golf stores.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went to the Cambridge store for a set of Wilson Di7 irons and was not asked to hit off an impact board and no measurements were taken. The sales person literally watched me hit 2 or 3 balls whilst I was trying various sets and said they were fine as they are. The incident with the 3 wood occurred at the Lincoln store where I found the salesman very pushy.

damslice

Hacker
Visit site
I think someone mentioned above, your best bet now is to go get some lessons and let the pro tell you whats needed, and they usually have lie adjusters , and he will sort you out.

i know its very confusing being a newbie , some golf shops do take advantage of us, been there myself. hope you get them sorted and get them playing the way you want them, keep us updated on how you get on ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your comments and advice I will continue with my complaint and see if I have any luck. If anyone has had a similar experience let me know as it may help my case and help others or at least warn of places to be wary of. Anything that helps newbie golfers get the right equipment can only be a good thing. I have put my comments in a letter to the magazine in the hope that it may trigger some debate or investigation into the quality of advice and service being offered by the larger retailers.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I must say that I have had nothing but good service from the store in Lincoln and also the rival store in Lincoln. I brought a set of clubs from thier website then went to the store in question, asked if they could be set up. No problem out to the range with an impact board they set all my clubs lie and loft and I go back every 2 months ish for free checks.
I spent an hour and a half in the rival shop talking to a sales assistant about which clubs to buy. Explaining at the time I was a 28 they did not try to sell me expensive clubs, they told me which would help me and which would hinder me and which would help bring my handicap down.
I have to say (with no perks I might add) I have had nothing but good service from both shops.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may well be that I just been unlucky with the staff who have dealt with me. I hope that this is the case as I cannot afford to use my local pro shop every time.

Wombler

Visit site
Anyway, I now want to have my exiting clubs fitted but have only seen custom fitting associated with buying a new set. Can anyone help with suggestions as to companies that may change the loft on my existng clubs as they are only 3 months old and I would hate to feel that I had wasted my money.

I bought a full set of clubs last year and only relatively recently became aware of the possible benefits of custom fitting.

I'm quite tall (6'3") and I'd read in the magazines about the potentially negative effect on stance, setup and lie angle caused by using incorrect length clubs so I thought I'd check it out with a local pro.

The pro measured me up and then got me to hit a series of had a set of otherwise identical 6 irons with differing lengths at my local driving range.

To be honest I was amazed.

The marker tape on the club face showed that I was striking the ball more correctly/consistently and there was a dramatic effect on distance as well (I was actually hitting the ball further with less effort).

I got about 1" added to all the irons and the grips were beefed up with two layers of grip tape which because I've large hands makes my grip feel much more natural and comfortable.

We had another session to check the lie angle after I'd had the clubs altered and as it happened for me, the length adjustments had corrected this perfectly so I didn't need further adjustments.

I genuinely wouldn't have believed that such apparently subtle changes could have such a noticeable and immediately obvious effect (although admittedly my height probably accentuated this).

My guy only charged £5 per club for getting all this done including what were effectively two free 40 minute coaching sessions and I reckon that's a pretty good deal.

Based on what I've experienced I'd thoroughly recommend that you get clubs altered or at the very least have a session with your pro and see what you think yourself.

HTH

Wombler

IrishMac

Visit site
I've just been playing golf for 3 years having been a cricket player! but, re custom fit, I'd love someone to help me in that area so, based on the replies so far, I will check my local American Golf and see if they can help . .

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks again for the excellent comments. I think I have found a Wilson Staff approved Custom Fitter who will look at my clubs as my club is fairly new and the pro shop is not up to carrying out any adjustments yet. Needless to say I will be looking for the original company concerned to cover the cost and will let everyone know of any sucess.