Crown Golf / Batchworth Park

batchworth

Visit site
Think we do, although I’m not 100% sure of what we can and can’t do. Apparently the number of security guards on the gate and around the premises increases each day

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn’t that where brexit’s biggest fan plays?
DelC was - The Glider enthusiast; ex Water Engineer; ex (phew) GM Forum member.
Perhaps you were confusing him with Dellboy.

Not the usual Crown course. I knew the guy who was (Head?) Pro there (now, I believe, a Real Estate Agent with a young sprog) a while back - through another forum. Nice enough course, but definitely in an area where housing is in huge demand with 'plenty' of other golf clubs nearby.
Crown Golf does seem to be disposing of some of its properties, though, apparently, not to the delight of some members!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think you need some legal advice and get something in writing. Then, go to the club and try to get access and if refused you could try calling the police to gain access. It's a tricky situation and I think they have you over a barrel sadly and will do what they need to do to stop access. It seems clear what their intentions are

D

Deleted member 15344

Isn’t that where brexit’s biggest fan plays?

He is indeed and has posted all about it on FB

It seems it’s very poor of Crown Golf

The members are the ones who have the lease not CG - Crown Golf were brought in by the members to help run the club and it seems that CG are trying to take over fully to then get the land sold

It shouldn’t take much for the Members to get it sorted and then potentially remove CG and be a true members club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He is indeed and has posted all about it on FB

It seems it’s very poor of Crown Golf

The members are the ones who have the lease not CG - Crown Golf were brought in by the members to help run the club and it seems that CG are trying to take over fully to then get the land sold

It shouldn’t take much for the Members to get it sorted and then potentially remove CG and be a true members club

It should be easy but I imagine CG will try and play hard ball and make it as hard as they can so it could be a costly enterprise to get it sorted. No doubt what CG are banking on

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just to make sure I've understood: Batchworth is a private member's club, and the members hired Crown Golf to manage it?

In which case, if there's a majority of members who are unhappy with what's happening, why can't they just call an EGM and fire Crown Golf? It doesn't need to be at the club, they can hire a hall elsewhere. Of course there'd then be the problem of how to run the place, but surely that would be preferable to having it asset stripped?

(Incidentally, I only played Batchworth once but thought it was a nice course)

batchworth

Visit site
We have a very active and hard working action group made up of members, who are doing all they can with the help of lawyers. The local media are now heavily involved since the events on Friday (when they shut the course).

D

Deleted member 23270

Is the course still being maintained while this issue is going on? If not you could be looking at big issues to get it in shape ready for play again.

batchworth

Visit site
yes it is (at the moment), and was actually looking stunning before all this happened. Crown tried to do something dodgy re the lease about a year ago, but was halted by the members. Any new members who joined after that (of which there are about 50), have a different membership agreement, so the course is still accessible to them. From what I heard, last Saturday, there were only about 4 or 5 threeballs or fourballs playing the course, and even less on there on Sunday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
yes it is (at the moment), and was actually looking stunning before all this happened. Crown tried to do something dodgy re the lease about a year ago, but was halted by the members. Any new members who joined after that (of which there are about 50), have a different membership agreement, so the course is still accessible to them. From what I heard, last Saturday, there were only about 4 or 5 threeballs or fourballs playing the course, and even less on there on Sunday.
How is this being checked? Couldn't someone give a different name and get in?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sounds like someone at sometime has given Crown Golf far too much power and control

How are they being able to change membership contracts without the oversight of the members committee

Looks like a big ball has been dropped somewhere

Reading the posts on FB it seems that are the ones bringing in the green staff and equipment etc

You will need to understand who their contract is with - Crown Golf or the club

Don’t think this is an easy situation

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Security guards on the gate along with pro shop staff with a list of who is and isn't allowed in !
Sounds like this will get very messy especially if they tried something similar. How did that get resolved and if there was anything in writing to confirm the outcome does it mean CG are now acting unlawfully. In which case you need the lawyers to act swiftly