Creating some lag, am i right?

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
ok, so i dont maintain the angle of lag on my downswing and have a big of a flicking motion creating inconsistency and loss of power. Now I mentioned in another of my posts that i was trying the wall drill. wall drill

so im trying to get a swing though for when the wall isnt there to help me and im thinking....

visualization of the hands not pulling straight down but the butt of the club being dragged back to the left across my body?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Creating some lag, am i right?

Not for me.

If that drill isn't done right it will just make you swing waaaay too steep and hit a load of fat shots.

I prefer to think of it as the position the hands are trying to get to on the downswing.

This video shows you in a simple way where the hands simply head for a position further forward (closer to the crotch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMzw6fUvic

Of course if your hands arrive properly then you have to consider the implications on what affect that is going to have on the direction/angle of the clubface at impact....

.. one small change affects many things :)

Hope that helps.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing I think would help your driving.

Is this where you think your ball position is?

Golfstick1.jpg

I would suggest you get the ball forward more with the driver

Golfstick1-1.jpg

Then think about your position in the pic below.
I've put Ernie beside you so you can see what I mean.

Ernie3.jpg

See how your weight is on the outside of your left foot whereas Ernie's is on the inside. And he's no slouch. :)
That shows how his hips have turned whereas yours slide forward before turning round. Notice also his right heel compared to yours.
If I was your coach, I would be trying to get your turn more centred rather than looking for more of a lag hit.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
Ive seen that video acouple of times and i understand the positions but the video stops short of telling you any swings thoughts/drills to achieve this. I can visualise the position but i just cant feel it in my swing.

Im looking for something to help generate the feeling where i know from shot to shot if i have achieved it or not. ATM wen i hit a gud shot i cnt tell if its because i have generated the correct lag position or whether i just got looking with the current way i swing

thanks

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
so bob, u think my problem is more my weight distribution and turn through the ball? Im not very flexible so im not sure if that is effecting my turn.

I think I will focus on maintaining my weight on the inside of my foot and trying to clear my hips rather than slide. Will this help my early release/lack of lag?

thanks

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I was your coach, I would be trying to get your turn more centred...

QUICK! Someone get me the smelling salts.... I've just fainted :D

You alright Bob?
Christmas really seems to have affected you! ;) ;) ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
so bob, u think my problem is more my weight distribution and turn through the ball? Im not very flexible so im not sure if that is effecting my turn.

I think I will focus on maintaining my weight on the inside of my foot and trying to clear my hips rather than slide. Will this help my early release/lack of lag?

thanks

I'd say one thing at a time.
By turning better you will improve the contact which in turn makes you more consistent.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Tricky one to explain, but will try my best.

In the down the line video you can see your balance going forward to the ball in the backswing and it appears your weight goes onto your left knee, toes on the throughswing.
This causes your left knee to stay out over your foot thus blocking your turning motion around to the left. This slows down your body turn and your arms and hands will then lose the angles early. When your body turn slows down, that's when the angle between your arm and club are lost.
A drill/thought to get you started would help to get your weight to move from the instep to your left heal as you strike the ball. Imagine that your left buttock is a few inches from a wall at address, try to get that left buttock to hit the imaginary wall as your striking the ball. This would encourage the body to turn round to the left and open a gap between your left hip and your hands.
This drill/thought would encourage a delaying of the release of the angles and promote compressing the ball. A good check would be from a face on angle, at impact, the clubshaft should point to or just outside the left shoulder.

A word of warning, NEVER try to hold onto the angle between the club and left arm, this only slows down your swing. Use your body rotation and acceleration to delay the release for you.

Another point is that you look to be a bit far from the ball which encourages you to go onto your toes on the backswing and stay on the toes of your left foot through the ball. Stand a couple inches closer and it would make it easier for your body to move more efficiently.

In summary, the closer your hands are to your left hip when contacting the ball, the more likely you need to lose your angles early to make contact as your body is slowing early.

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for all the comments guys, i will try my very best to put these drills into play, i will try post a vid in a few weeks to see if i have improved. Thanks again. I gunna really try hard with the turn

i work well wen i have a swing thought and feeling to look for

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
A great drill for creating lag is to get an impact bag and put it about 2 feet behind your clubhead at address. You'll have to start from a semi cocked position, but take the club to the top and hit the ball. If you're losing your lag you'll hit the bag.