Crazy shot almost off at right angles!!! Help.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
This issue has been plaguing me for a while. I'm hitting the ball really well then all of a sudden I'm hitting it right almost at right angles to target line and it slices further right. What the hell am I doing? It's driving me mental.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
it sounds like a shank, don't say it too loudly, they are catching :(

I went to the range recently, I hit 30 great iron shots followed by 30 shanks in a row. It was very depressing.

I read a post on here where Bob advises stand back an inch and raise your hands slightly at address (it seems to have worked for me) I've been meaning to say cheers Bob :)

It is caused by an extreme swing plane, usually in to out I beleive, however there may be a different cause in your case.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I hit one the other day.
Came out of nowhere - went back again just as fast.
No idea..............
1st one for years......

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I hit a thin shank on Sunday. It went off at 45 degrees, dead flat, hit the ladies tee marker, and shot back past the four of us, into the cabbage about 20 yards behind us. Only supposed to be a 135 yard par three. Lost my tee shot. Never to be seen again. I found another ball though, so I am not the first.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a thin shank on Sunday. It went off at 45 degrees, dead flat, hit the ladies tee marker, and shot back past the four of us, into the cabbage about 20 yards behind us. Only supposed to be a 135 yard par three. Lost my tee shot. Never to be seen again. I found another ball though, so I am not the first.

:D You trying to copy my shot from Goswick?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Shermans...oh dear. Obviously getting too close to the ball at address. I thought it was coming off the toe so stood closer!!! What a weapon :eek:

It was so weird hitting a series of woeful 7irons, switched to 3 wood and Driver and striping it nicely. Never been so confused in my life :D

Last edited:

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it is a touch of the dodrells, I make sure that my weight is in the middle of my feet and not towards my toes at address.
Are you sure its them? Is the strike right out of the neck of the (iron) club?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socket Rockets.

Normally due to the hozel leading the clubface into the ball, the clubface will be wide open. Try to keep your hands closer to your body and feel as though you are making the toe of the club pass the heel through impact.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only seem to get them on the range.
Nothing worse than when your hitting the ball really well, and then POW a shank, and another, and then another. By that time people have turned to look to see who has caught the dreaded disease :D

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm certainly no expert but if your gripping the club too tightly I believe this leads to an open club face? Could be if your under pressure you tense up and grip too tightly?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fragger has a wierd way of hitting a shot in that general direction.
Don't think he's ever hit a sh**k, his always come off the very end of the toe of the club - virtually impossible to do but he manages it with any club in the bag.
Genius.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of our infrequent playing partners has a reverse shank. Yes! You heard it here first boys and girls.

We've all seen the regular shank that shoots dead right (for a right hander) His shoots dead left.

I don't know how he manages it but he'll stand on the tee, swing at the ball and it will shoot dead left at such an angle it nearly hits him!

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's crazy stuff......

I hit a couple last night in my garage, the ball coming off the cub at about 45 deg right, bounced past the hoover and smacked into the kids sledge, did it three more times before it disappeared........

I could have sworn that it was coming of the toe of the club or the rounded sole of the hybrid...

Good to know or recognise it as a shank and it's cure.....

Ps I'm not entirely mental, I was only hitting plastic wiffel balls ;)

Last edited: