Cracked Ping Driver. - update added 5/8/20

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a pic of my Ping G2 when it was about 4 years old.

DSCI0079.jpg
They replaced it FOC with a new G5.
It was 2009 so things may have changed since then.
Give them a ring you've got nothing to lose.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had an issue with my Ping driver(all my own fault) they needed the club to be sent back by one of their pro network, they wouldn’t accept it back from me.
TBH, sole damage is going to be questionable especially after 4 years, but even if they won’t replace for free they may offer a good deal on a new one:)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Clubs splitting is not unheard of, I had a Callaway XR hybrid a couple of years back, actually stove the face in hitting a ball, put a two inch split in it. Fortunately for me, it was still under warranty and the club pro gave me a credit note. I appreciate that doesn't help you as you are in a different position. Even though the warranty is up, I side with the premise that a driver should last a good while past the warranty. I'd be giving Ping a call, the worst they can do is run with the expired warranty and say they can't/ won't help further.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What cost?
You're in an argumentative mood this morning...:whistle:
Ping do nothing (rightly or wrongly)
Discussions on internet forums, club bars etc....Ping have let me down ( rightly or wrongly)
Ping get a bad reputation (rightly or wrongly)
Ping dont sell as many drivers and lose sales....for the cost of replacing a driver - cost to them less than a hundred quid...

That's how bad reputations begin (rightly or wrongly)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I got the driver in 2016 I have the receipt and all here. Was told by local golf store it's over two years and not anything they can do. So that's when I sent the email.

Yous think worth calling them still?
Absolutely! Ping have a great reputation for 'putting things right' even when significantly out of warranty - as Bob's example demonstrates (and I've heard of others too!).
FWIW though, I can't actually see an obvious crack on that photo. Is it that blackish 'line' above and to the right of the 'G'? If it is, then it's quite possibly the result of the club coming into contact with something hard, like a stone, during a swing. In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if a 'claim' was rejected on the grounds of 'not expected use' or similar. Though you might get a credit towards replacement.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
OH I forgot to mention looking at Insurance. I had a G30 that snapped at the hosel during a round and not due to a hissy fit I may add! I had our pro (whom was a ping retailer) look at it and gave an estimate for repair/replace and my insurance paid out for the repair to be done.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It did, 2 years longer than a 2 years warranty.
It's not even cracked from hitting balls, how does the sole of a driver get a big crack in it?

No idea, as I said, the worst they can do is say no, however, as many have said here, Ping customer service is pretty good, so surely a quick call is worthwhile before going down a replacement route.

Visit site
My friend just had a crack on the sole of his Callaway Epic. It was, admittedly, only 18 months old - but Callaway immediately said send it in and we'll replace the head with an Epic Flash/Rogue/Mavrik head subject to availability.

He was reluctant to even bother phoning me as he thought they wouldn't help.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok guys bit of a update. Thanks again I think to Bob for giving me the number after my failed email attempt.

Basically told to return it to the retailer as they could definitely do something about it.

So

Phoned American golf, and again told me out of warranty and unless ping gave me a email to say they wanted it they wouldn't be sending anything to them

So.

Phoned ping again. Different guy this time. Said look what driver was it and again told him it was a ping g and he said well certainly with a G driver we be looking to do something there. But we won't be sending any emails it's upto the retailer to contact us and return it on your behalf. He then told me to take it to another retailer..

So thats where am at now. My local club (new club I joined this season) may have a ping account so going to ask the pro tomorrow once he's back in to see if he can help.

But sounds like ping might replace this for me. (Well heres hoping) I just need a means of getting it to them.

Little pissed that American golf just basically said no way not happening.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I had an issue with my Ping driver(all my own fault) they needed the club to be sent back by one of their pro network, they wouldn’t accept it back from me.
TBH, sole damage is going to be questionable especially after 4 years, but even if they won’t replace for free they may offer a good deal on a new one:)

To me the crack has started at the bottom of the face. So I feel that's where it has started. There is no dent to indicate that it was caused by a stone/rock in the ground. The wear even on the sole of club is minimum when I compare it to second hand ping g and g30 drivers..

I look after my clubs never hit one off ground in rage or anything like that.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok guys bit of a update. Thanks again I think to Bob for giving me the number after my failed email attempt.

Basically told to return it to the retailer as they could definitely do something about it.

So

Phoned American golf, and again told me out of warranty and unless ping gave me a email to say they wanted it they wouldn't be sending anything to them

So.

Phoned ping again. Different guy this time. Said look what driver was it and again told him it was a ping g and he said well certainly with a G driver we be looking to do something there. But we won't be sending any emails it's upto the retailer to contact us and return it on your behalf. He then told me to take it to another retailer..

So thats where am at now. My local club (new club I joined this season) may have a ping account so going to ask the pro tomorrow once he's back in to see if he can help.

But sounds like ping might replace this for me. (Well heres hoping) I just need a means of getting it to them.

This is why I don't buy from AG - faceless company more interested in just churning out sales. Granted money makes the world go round, but it feels that they care nothing for golf save what it can do for their accounts. Glad to hear that PING are going to do something about it!

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

So

So.

Sorry, I wouldn't accept that from AG. I would demand to see the manager of the store and explain what Ping said in no uncertain terms. Failing that I would ring Ping from the store and put them on speaker so that AG can hear what they saw.
I've had good service from AG, but that's poor.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had an issue with a second hand Ping driver i got from AG a few years ago. I think it was the G30 but the G was out. Basically took it to the range and the sleeve adapter cracked.

went back the next day and they said you can either send it off or refund. I actually wanted the driver so i sent it off. 3 weeks went and hadnt heard anything. AG didnt chase and kept saying it was due in. I got them to ring them while i was there. Turns out they had no heads and were waiting on some being delivered to the UK. I emailed Ping directly and they ended up replacing it with the G model as it was taking too long. AG did send it away for me and the delay wasnt with them, I guess they did try and help but probably didnt push it as much as they could. Poor form for them not to even send it.

Ping are great and I am sure they will replace this for you.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry, I wouldn't accept that from AG. I would demand to see the manager of the store and explain what Ping said in no uncertain terms. Failing that I would ring Ping from the store and put them on speaker so that AG can hear what they saw.
I've had good service from AG, but that's poor.

Problem is its 140 mile round trip I need to be sure manager there and he still might not help