Great Custom Fitting experince at Ping, Gainsbourgh

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Folks,

Just thought I'd report back. Recently I had a great time at Ping going through a full bag fitting. (Not sure why it is called that as we didn't even discuss the bag, anyway, I digress).

Had a relaxing start, great looking club and even a pretty looking range.

Bucket of balls on the club bays to warm up, then through to the fitting centre. A GREAT toy shop, every club, every spec - wow!

Made to feel very comfortable by my fitter, couple more warm up balls (now with AD333 rather than range balls) and then on to fitting.

Did 'static' fit as start point, essentially wrist to floor & height combined to set an approximate initial lie. This was then refined by hitting some balls with club stickered up and examining strike marks on sole. I ended up one step further upright bases on strike pattern and what I said felt 'right'.

*******(Lots of reference to 'what does it feel like' throughout process, I was nervous about this initially as I thought my swing greater variable than the odd 1/2* but it really did feel defferent. Emphasis was computer will give numbers but it must feel right for you and therefore numbers are interesting aid to judgement but not the be all and end all.)*******

Then go stuck into hitting 7 iron in new lie with variety of shafts. (I asked to start with i25 as had hit G25 at own club and knew I preferred i25 + hit them just as well). Very interesting effect of different shaft on ball flight / spin etc. Discussion over whether I played and typically windy course, as one shaft launched higher with more spin that would have been great on still day but not ideal on windy course). Also tried some aftermarket shafts but made it worse for me.

Then did driver, heart said i25, head said G25. Trackman and looking down the range both confirmed head won. Sod!

Then looked at iron / hy / fw mix. I had been struggling with longer irons so tried 5h and couldn't miss with it + gap to 6i bob on. 4h only gave me an extra 8 yds or so (nice point here, fitter reflected I could have both but if it where his cash he'd only bother with one or the other as could easily 'flex' swing to give this small distance gap. Really interesting bit was 5w / 17* h (roughly 2i) test. On paper should have been similar performance but in reality, slightly shorter shaft in 17* h made all the difference and the numbers backed this up.

Tried 3w, hit well of the peg but poor of the deck. Fitter recommended I stick with the Titleist in the bag as couldn't really demonstrate any great improvement to me (limited by me I hasten to add).

Then had a wedge chat. Ended up with a set PW / UW but a tour spec 54* SW. Logic was PW / UW tend to be full shots hence set wedges are a little more forgiving, SW touch / feel shots so tour spec works well. (also, SW slightly flatter lie as not a full swing hence shaft doesn't load in same way hence back to static lie fit for that - interesting).

So, sorry for long post but a really excellent experience and given cost involved of new bats, I now have the confidence they will be right.

Only thing I would change, if I lived closer I'd do fitting over two sessions as it was tiring towards the end.

Hope that is helpful for anyone considering fitting, and Qs, post below and I'll try to answer if I can.

Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 108

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great right up.

When you say great toy shop "every club", do you mean all manufacturers ie Cobra, Taylormade, Ping etc as I thought Gainsbrough fitting centre was purely Ping.
Also did they have full spec shafts ie true temper, dynamic gold, aldila etc. Furthermore how much do they charge for club fitting and how long do you get for irons, driver etc.
Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great right up.

When you say great toy shop "every club", do you mean all manufacturers ie Cobra, Taylormade, Ping etc as I thought Gainsbrough fitting centre was purely Ping.
Also did they have full spec shafts ie true temper, dynamic gold, aldila etc. Furthermore how much do they charge for club fitting and how long do you get for irons, driver etc.
Cheers

Think he was referring to every Ping club as they only do their own fit. Fantastic write up

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Great write up.

Seems a 'perfect' fitting!

I agree that 2 session spread works best. With fitter/builders, 2nd session (woods/hybrids) can be done when irons have been built and just need 'confirming' - or vice versa.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is Ping only (Ping own the lot i think, fitting centre of course, but I think they own the whole course complex, club the lot!). I had already done some fitting with the pro at our club and been through other manuf to down-select ping, this was all about getting the spec spot on + having a bit of fun as part of the shopping experience. When I said every club, I meant that Ping do, the racks of irons and woods in the photos bare testament to that.

Re your aftermarket shaft Q, not sure what range in total. If you go onto Ping website, the custom fit catalogue for their clubs lists all the shaft options and there are dozens and dozens - not sure if they have them all but there must have been at least a couple of hundred shafts in bags and racks around the fitting bays (not including those already in clubs on the racks). A phone call would confirm I suppose if you had something specific in mind. I tried some KBS shafts in the irons but as I said made the shots worse not better so ended up sticking with Ping CFS Stiff - I really relied on the fitter to suggest stuff which he was both happy and far more knowledgable than me to do. In total I probably tried 5 or 6 shafts in the irons and a similar number in the driver. He explained what he was hoping to achieve from each change and was happy to try stuff that may not work out to narrow the field for me. A guy in the next bay was going through several shafts in his driver fitting but didn't overhear what makes.

Total time was just over 1 hour and 40 mins or so, quite long enough to be honest, not sure I'd get much further with longer nor keep hitting representative shots.

Cost, nothing yet. The session has to be booked through Ping dealer. I think it's About £45 for the session (cheaper and shorter if only irons or driver) but I would expect dealer to absorb cost as part of deal so there'll be that much less wiggle room I guess now in the overall price!

hope that helps,

simon

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree that 2 session spread works best. With fitter/builders, 2nd session (woods/hybrids) can be done when irons have been built and just need 'confirming' - or vice versa.

Yep, especially as pushing a mouse round a desk all day is not making me any fitter! 3 hrs each way from here though so just went for it and did the lot. Driver spec will double check when fresh locally (just in case racing stripes can edge in) but that is easy done locally.

S

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was fit there myself 3 years ago for my G15s and it was a fantastic experience, just as the OP describes, top notch facility.