Covers that are better than the original

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll never walk alone ,Jerry and the pacemakers,
Been sung by many but nobody comes close to Jerry.
The air that I breathe ,the Hollies .
Originally by the Everly brothers.

Somebody to love
, George Michael.
Freddie was good but George absolutely nailed it.
It's only make believe, Glenn Campbell, original by Conway Twitty but he couldn't sing it for crap

Have said before elsewhere - but try the version sung by Brittany Murphy (for the film Happy Feet)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Do you want to be a bit more condescending? As has been pointed out it is an old Irish folk song but the popular 'originals' are generally by the Dubliners or Thin Lizzy.
You have started a very interesting and entertaining thread. You have my thanks for that.
But you had a flaw in your choice of a song that has no "original" for other versions to be compared with. These different versions can only be compared with each other.
The Animals' version of House Of The Rising Sun has had a mention. I love that version too. But again, it is difficult to identify an "original".
There are many such old traditional songs that have this difficulty that have been done by many people such as, She Moved Through The Fair, La Bamba, Scarborough Fair, etc.
I had no intention of being condescending, but I accept that it could be read that way.

Last edited:

Newtonuti

Visit site
Following on from BiMs post about better known covere, which covers are just better than the original? Going to be a tough one.
As a metalhead I will go with Metallicas version of Whisky in the Jar.

Could be a short thread though...:unsure:
Metallica's Whiskey in a Jar is absolutely amazing, smashes either the old folk version or Thin Lizzy's. Hetfields voice just fits it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anything Bruce has covered - not that he's recorded many but some of his live renditions are amazing :love:

This is one of my favourites - helped by a rather buff Bruce :oops: Jus watched it from start to finish again...love it...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not her best version as she recorded it not long before she died.
The earlier version on the 'Songbird' album is much stronger
Someone did a ukele version that was absolutely brilliant. I tend to think if you are going to cover a song then you either have to blow it out of the water or do a very different version. Doing that song on the ukele was very clever indeed.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anything Bruce has covered - not that he's recorded many but some of his live renditions are amazing :love:

This is one of my favourites - helped by a rather buff Bruce :oops: Jus watched it from start to finish again...love it...

If we want a Bruce cover that's better than the original...

Or if you prefer the studio version;

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If we want a Bruce cover that's better than the original...

Or if you prefer the studio version;

Good call. I'm also going with this one (because I wanted to be his Jersey Girl :love:) and I was there. It was the final track when I saw him on consecutive nights at Giants Stadium...I bawled!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Written in 1985 by Peter Harnes from Grimsby & performed here by Christy in 2006..... & a song with still with so much relevance!!!