Cover up

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a par 3 at our place at 195, one of the fellas in our scratch team off 3 plays hybrids up to 5 with his longest iron a 6 iron. He always says its funny watching opponents reaction on the away team when he has a hybrid in his hand and they have an iron, makes them all undecided.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
No.

Let's say you saw your FC knock it pin high with a 7 iron and you had a 6 iron in your hand, would you change club? Surely you could only know on the day depending on the type of shot you were planning on hitting.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cover the bag? No.

Anyone who thinks they needed to be guided by my shot choice & club selection, is already in a mindset that is thinking their way to a defeat.

(Unfortunately, the quality of my golf may bail them out ...)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll be honest.... I've sneaked a look at the club an opponent has hit when I'm unsure of the club selection. Only worthwhile if you've got an idea of the relative distances the two of you are hitting. Don't think I'd go to the trouble of covering mine though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's always worth a sneaky peek if unsure. I know I am one club shorter than Merv79 and 3 clubs longer than Richart.

Actually, I can't ever remember Rich having the honour over me........ :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1147

No, but after a shot just say you didn't quite catch it, they'll never know if you had the right club or not!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I swap the iron head covers for different irons, so my 4 iron has the 7 cover, my 5 iron has the 8, my 6 iron has the 4. You get the drift.

Messes with their heads. Trouble is I always forget and either airmail the green or leave it 80 yards short. Still. No ones getting one up on me.

(not a true story. But a true story is if I'm near your bag I'll have a sneaky peak. Why not?!).

U

User62651

No, but after a shot just say you didn't quite catch it, they'll never know if you had the right club or not!

Made me recall Craig Stadler, so many pessimistic post shot reactions, no matter how good a shot he'd actually hit. Think he thought he should be holing all approach shots.:mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It can be a help if you play regularly with the same people.
If you know you're a club longer/shorter and they make a good strike and airmail the green, it has to help you.
I used to play with someone who was, almost to the yard, a club shorter than me.
We were always checking which club was in hand...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always. Don’t want to get another 2 stroke penalty under rule 8-1

???? why a penalty for just looking? Not on you unless you offer advice and not on your opponent as decision 8-1/10 covers.

Not sure it's relevant as you can normally see what club they are using at address.

Have seen someone playing second take out a 3 iron out of his bag on a par 3 and then change it for 7 iron before hitting his shot. As I had hit the green with an 8 iron I found it quite funny.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No bothered if someone wants to have a look in my bag. The majority of handicap golfers, myself included, miss the longer par 3's, and the short ones are pretty easy to gauge anyway.

Besides, I tend to choose a club on what the hole 'feels' like. For some bizarre reason I might choose a 4,5,6 iron for the same distance just coz it feels right, and for some weird reason they can all hit the green. If someone wants to choose their club based on what I've hit, good luck to them.