Coventry, city of culture 2021

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Coventry and it's people suffered horribly during WW2. The Centre being raised to the ground was rebuilt in the 1960's style of 'Concrete Naffism' like so many others such that without ripping the whole lot down and starting again it has no chance of being an attractive place to live, it could do with a rebuild a bit like Plymouth has carried out. I hope this program goes a way to improving things.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Coventry and it's people suffered horribly during WW2. The Centre being raised to the ground was rebuilt in the 1960's style of 'Concrete Naffism' like so many others such that without ripping the whole lot down and starting again it has no chance of being an attractive place to live, it could do with a rebuild a bit like Plymouth has carried out. I hope this program goes a way to improving things.

What I cannot get my head around socket is Coventry has some gorgeous buildings that survived the war. They are then dwarfed by concrete monstrous buildings. Would love to know who got the Bung for okaying them to be built.

It must be my luck when it comes to cities of culture. Missis T booked us a mystery tour on a coach trip about 8 yr ago. We went to Hull, after 12 hours on a Friday night shift, I found myself on a Saturday morning going to flippin Hull. It is twinned with Coventry. Or was.
I was talking to the coach driver on the Saturday night and he told something that he promised me to keep a secret. He told me he had summat special lined for the way back on the Sunday. Cleethorpes. It tipped me over the edge. On the way there he told the congregation where we were going. One of three sisters on the trip who was mid 80's said " did he just say Cleethorpes", I nearly wet myself. We got there at 10.45 on the Sunday morning and he said over the mike, " it's 10.45, what time do you want picking up". The same woman said " 11 o'clock please". Everyone was back on the bus by 12.15. He said " I cannot go back yet coz it is to early so he took us to Meadowhall shopping for two hours.
Suffice to say, we haven't done another.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spent four years at Cov uni. Great uni and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Far Gosford St with The Phoenix pub, Browns Cafe and The Deli Cafe gives it the big thumbs up for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you could have levied the same arguments about places like Hull when they got the award. I wanted Sunderland to get it personally but I think it'll do wonders for Coventry. Of course like any of these sort of things. it's all well and good pouring millions into the year and the events, but it's the legacy for the decade after and the next generation after that which will dictate if it was a success

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Cov! My uncle lives there, my bro went to uni at warwick. Its a cracking place! Just has a bad rep. Try it, you might like it!