Courses in BURY area....

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although I live quite close, the only one I have played is Greenmount and that was a long time ago when it was just a 9 hole course, it appears to be 18 now. One of our supplier's held their golf day there. I never did well.
Walmersley is built on tthe side og a hill so I expect you need to be a mountain goat to play it, no knowledge at all of the other 2.
There are lots of courses in North Manchester if you are just looking to play somewhere on a visit

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Louise

It needs to be very near our hotel we are staying at in Bury so my lass can drop me off at a nearby course (I am not a car driver )

I have been on the websites of these courses.....was just wondering if anyone had played them to take their view on them.

Greenmount is the most expensive so could be the best course? I have played Lowes Park opposite Walmersley it was ok to play but the hospitality and friendliness was top notch.

Harwood is the closest to our hotel but all of them within 10 mins anyway.

Cheers

Kev

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,
I assume the hotel is The Bolholt on Walshaw rd ? If so Walmersley is a bit of a drag (20-30 mins) not a bad course though, & like Louise says it os on the side of a hill but drains quite well.
Breightmet: is my home course, par 72, wide fairways, not bad drainage, well maintained, good clubhouse & friendly members:)
Harwood: 2 mins away from Breightmet is really 2 courses in 1. Half the course is on the side of a hill & is well drained the other half is flat & can be quite boggy, it has a good clubhouse & is well maintained.
Greenmount: Actually thinking of joining here next year because the annual fees are quite a bit less than my home club. It is basically a 9 hole hole course with i think 3 different holes on the back nine. It has allways been well maintained with a good clubhouse & membership, a nice club but can get busy at peak times. 5-10 mins from hotel.

A couple of other clubs only 10 mins away you may want to look at are Stand & Whitefield both very good and i believe excellent value through teeoff times.

If i had to pick a favourite apart from my home course then i think i would plump for Greenmount just ahead of Whitefield, though looking at the pictures of your club i would have to say Whitefield is the closest in appearance.
yours WW. :fore:

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hello WW

Yes am in the Bolholt (again ) in a bit of a rush at the minute,on way out.Thanks very much mate for your extremely helpful and informative reply.Much appreciated mate.Giving me lots to think about!

Might get back later tonight,depending on the bevvy!

Thanks again

Kev

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments on Greenmount WW, I remember one par 3 with 2 different tees, I looked at the course on Google maps and it did look like there are more than 9 holes, but on 2nd looking there are only 9.

Also noticed the guy who used to put on the golf day is this year's Lancashire golf union president.

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Louise,
Just had a quick look me-self and i count 11 greens. I know they recently aquired the land on the right of Hollymount lane so that hole is a recent addition, they also seem to have redesigned several others since the last time i played there.I really must nip up its only 2 mins away.
Looking at their score card there seems to be 5 holes on the back 9 with considerably different yardages, so maybe the 2 new holes and 3 different tee boxes, but iam only guessing.
Aswell as Mr L Wilson being the curent el presidente of the LGU it would appear that Ms Margery Gardiner has been elected president of the MDLGA for next year. Not bad for a little club like Greenmount :cheers:.
Anyway if Kev gets back with some dates perhaps we organise a 3 ball :thup:
Your WW.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi WW

I have been and gone from the Bury area.Left there Saturday morning,I was due to have a game Friday morning but once I was told Greenmount had been shut all week I decided to give the golf a miss in the area and went to Rossendale driving range instead.

Today is 1st chance I have had to get back on GM forum otherwise I would have responded earlier.I am in the Bury area 2/3 times a year so hopefully can sort a game out next time am down.

Thanks again

Kev

walshawwhippet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi WW

I have been and gone from the Bury area.Left there Saturday morning,I was due to have a game Friday morning but once I was told Greenmount had been shut all week I decided to give the golf a miss in the area and went to Rossendale driving range instead.

Today is 1st chance I have had to get back on GM forum otherwise I would have responded earlier.I am in the Bury area 2/3 times a year so hopefully can sort a game out next time am down.

Thanks again

Kev

No worries mate, shame about Greenmount but the weather has been pretty kak round here to say the least.
Give us a shout next time your down, we'll get something sorted for sure. :thup: