Course vs the Range

thebigreason

Visit site
A bit of a strange one, well it is for me anyway.

I have been hitting scores of around 105-120 on the course for around a year and wanted to improve therefore booked some lessons. I have now had 4 of 6 lessons and my game is improving on the course (where I have recently shot 98, 94 and 93) but my game off course (at the range or in the lesson studio) is very poor, in fact I would go so far as to say its got worse.

I have noticed that I am drawing massively and my launch angle is extremely low when having a lesson or at the range.

Does anyone have any pointers please? Be nice, I am fairly new to the game.

Oh and whilst I am here, don't get me started on the driver, cannot hit it for the life of me.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely you should be asking your pro when you are having a lesson? Or he should notice what you are doing wrong and correct it?

thebigreason

Visit site
Surely you should be asking your pro when you are having a lesson? Or he should notice what you are doing wrong and correct it?
great point. So my lessons with the pro are in his studio, hence he see's my "faults" therefore we try to work on them. I take the pointers to the course and I am improving. My problem is that when I return to the next lesson (in the studio) or the range, the faults re-appear hence we try and work on them again. As I type this maybe I should ask my pro for a lesson on the course.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
great point. So my lessons with the pro are in his studio, hence he see's my "faults" therefore we try to work on them. I take the pointers to the course and I am improving. My problem is that when I return to the next lesson (in the studio) or the range, the faults re-appear hence we try and work on them again. As I type this maybe I should ask my pro for a lesson on the course.

Yes an on course lesson can be beneficial

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I sometimes hit the ball badly off range mats, or very badly during a lesson. I think it is because I am concentrating on mechanics. Once I have got it sussed it then works better on the course.

Strange, but there you are... and on course lessons are great for course management tips. Help the pro see the way you think on the course...

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd agree, if I'm working on something I prefer to do it on grass if possible, mat can hide things, and they can also be infected with shermans?
Ha ha. Ours are the same. Folks piping it during warm up but never see them do it on the course. I wonder why that is?

thebigreason

Visit site
thanks guys, I am not sure if its the fear of hitting the mat or whether it some form of mental blocker, either way I will ask the pro to come for a round on the course with me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The driver problem is not always the person holding the club it can be the club itself.

I remember a few years ago when I was forced to change my driver (rules change) I went through 5 drivers before I found one that suited my swing.

I have always hated hitting off mats, it changes my thoughts. Off grass I will virtually always take a divot I cannot hit like this off a mat.

thebigreason

Visit site
The driver problem is not always the person holding the club it can be the club itself.

I remember a few years ago when I was forced to change my driver (rules change) I went through 5 drivers before I found one that suited my swing.

I have always hated hitting off mats, it changes my thoughts. Off grass I will virtually always take a divot I cannot hit like this off a mat.

Maybe I shall look into the driver too then. Thanks for the pointer.

I think it could be my mind telling me not to hit the mat as its gonna hurt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to be terrible at the range, hitting several shanks off the mats when I wasn't shanking it on the course at all. I came up with a solution in the end - stopped going to the range. Fixed it overnight. ?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Stick with it. As long as yours scores are improving it is working. You’ll find in your journey that you will always slip back into a bad habit or have not quite got what was mentioned previously. It natural to be more mechanical on the range and you’ll see more mad shots when constantly hitting the same shot each time on the range but it sounds like you can disconnect from this on the course which is good.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Scores never improve gradually.
It's more like a leap forward than a slow improvement over time.
Most likely than not it's an error with the grip.
A correct grip will repay you more than anything else on the course.

Driving ranges are always forgiving.
Hit a bad shot on the range, forget it, then just put another ball down.