Course vs Driving Range

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Range is great fun and really useful for correcting any naughty clubs from last round (far more suited to sorting out an issue with a particular club/shot than going out for 9 holes 'practice' and only hitting that shot a couple of times every 15 minutes)

Ours is outdoor, off grass & plenty long enough with short game area next to it with two bunkers & multiple pins, so its way more productive than on-course practice (and I'm not using up a tee-time someone else could use for proper golf)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

Played 9 holes last Thursday, absolutely dreadful. Shanking, duffing etc.

Went to the range Friday and Sunday, hit it great.

Went to practice ground yesterday afternoon, hit quite a few bad ones to start, then it fell into place and hit it consistently well for the remaining 30-odd balls. Went straight out for 9 on my own, back to absolutely awful.

Am certain it's a mental issue, got so many swing thoughts going on.

Have got a lesson booked for next week which I'm desperately hoping will sort me out.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

Played 9 holes last Thursday, absolutely dreadful. Shanking, duffing etc.

Went to the range Friday and Sunday, hit it great.

Went to practice ground yesterday afternoon, hit quite a few bad ones to start, then it fell into place and hit it consistently well for the remaining 30-odd balls. Went straight out for 9 on my own, back to absolutely awful.

Am certain it's a mental issue, got so many swing thoughts going on.

Have got a lesson booked for next week which I'm desperately hoping will sort me out.

Get an on course lesson.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Toptracer is really helping to make range sessions more enjoyable.

Absolutely.
Even with range balls, I can work on my swing / club gapping / dispersion & shot shaping.
Very enjoyable, have a Coffee afterwards & a look at all the golf gear.
It passes away about 2 - 3 hours
My Course atm is either carry or shut
Walking on the greens leaves huge foot indentations & the greenstaff are putting all the flags on the edge of the greens to try to protect them a bit.
The course & weather is so wet that it's almost impossible to get out on the course.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Toptracer is really helping to make range sessions more enjoyable.
Another thumbs up for TT. We got it installed about 3-4 months ago and it makes practising much more focused and enjoyable. It is also bringing in a lot of income for the club so a double win.
Only downside for us is we don't have floodlights yet, still waiting for the planning permission to go through. The range will also be extended from its current 8 bays so will be a great assett when all is done.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another thumbs up for TT. We got it installed about 3-4 months ago and it makes practising much more focused and enjoyable. It is also bringing in a lot of income for the club so a double win.
Only downside for us is we don't have floodlights yet, still waiting for the planning permission to go through. The range will also be extended from its current 8 bays so will be a great assett when all is done.
Last year I started going to a TopTracer range near me. I was enjoying it more than a typical range - until one week when the tracer element stopped working and wouldn't pick up my shots. I asked the guy what was going on and he said when it starts to get dark it stops working because they don't have any floodlights. So that was the end of the that since I was going after work typically. :LOL:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another thumbs up for TT. Useful when I am having a lesson to give some basic data to work from. When I am up there practicing I'll do half a bucket as block training working on whatever I have been shown from a lesson or isn't working on the course and then use TT to put it into a "course" setting and see how it stands up to having a target/distance to hit

Teebs

Visit site
If you download the TopTracer app and log in, it'll record all your shots and give you some stats;

Screenshot_20230107_143939_Toptracer.jpg

Does anyone know how much the install costs for an average club to install?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
If you download the TopTracer app and log in, it'll record all your shots and give you some stats;

View attachment 45896

Does anyone know how much the install costs for an average club to install?

I haven't got specifics but I was talking to the pro at the Heron's Reach range near me that had just got it installed and i mentioned how much business it must have taken from another local, non TT, range.

He had a bit of sympathy for them and said that to install it in the other ranges' 20 bays they would be looking at about £70k. But that did include installing a roof over the 7 or so outdoor bays so that all the bays were covered (apparently a requisite to cover/give them something to hang the cameras/sensors off).

On top of that there are monthly licensing fee's which i believe are around £250 a bay which, if you're selling a basket of balls for a tenner is a bargain really. Ignoring other costs you'd only need to fill a bay once a day to break even.

Its made a massive difference at Heron's Reach, i used to hate that range and would happily travel another 15mins each way to the nearest TT range (Lytham) instead. Heron's Reach was always empty and the targets were rubbish.

Since TT was installed its been full to queuing at peak times, especially with all the courses being closed recently.