course suggestions

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Hi everyone,

Just looking for suggestions for courses around Luton area that I might want to take a look at.
Can also be around Letchworth, Welwyn, St Albans, Bishop's Stortford.

Will be playing in November with a colleague.

Have recently played Luton Hoo a few times, as well as Mid-Herts (once).

Just looking for anywhere else to consider.

D

Deleted member 15344

How much are you willing to spend ?

Around Luton area ish

Ashridge
Betkhampstead
Harpenden - Hammond’s End
Brocket Hall
John O Gaunt
Woburn
Essendon
WGC

Also depends what you are looking for

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Within 30 minutes of Luton, I'd say Woburn or The Grove would be the best clubs.

Add Centurion Club into the mix too if you are lucky enough to know a member.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just looking for suggestions for courses around Luton area that I might want to take a look at.

When you say take a look at are we talking to play as a one off or join?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Around Luton area ish

Ashridge
Betkhampstead
Brocket Hall
John O Gaunt
Woburn
Essendon
WGC

Pretty comprehensive list. A friend recently played at ashridge and was very impressed.

At that time of year the drainage can be an issue at the southern end of herts. Another chalk course worth consideration is royston, but I'm not sure if it is quite as good as one of two of those.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pretty comprehensive list. A friend recently played at ashridge and was very impressed.

At that time of year the drainage can be an issue at the southern end of herts. Another chalk course worth consideration is royston, but I'm not sure if it is quite as good as one of two of those.

Dunstable Downs should be OK i'd have thought.

Might also be worth looking at Harpenden Commom and Verulam, both sort of heathlandy

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Millbrook, just off the M1 J12 has good drainage and playable throughout the winter. Still playing of normal tees at present and all greens in excellent condition.
it has just been rated as 5th best in Bedfordshire (up 4 places)by the top 100 golf courses site.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Millbrook, just off the M1 J12 has good drainage and playable throughout the winter. Still playing of normal tees at present and all greens in excellent condition.
it has just been rated as 5th best in Bedfordshire (up 4 places)by the top 100 golf courses site.

Millbrook also has some of the worst holes I have ever played in Golf - 1st , 11th , 16th - really poor golf holes - some good holes but poor layout imo - last time played there the greens were poor as well

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Millbrook also has some of the worst holes I have ever played in Golf - 1st , 11th , 16th - really poor golf holes - some good holes but poor layout imo - last time played there the greens were poor as well

I beg to differ. The greens are all excellent. They wouldn’t play county championships and inter-county matches there if it was as poor as you make out. As for the holes you mention they are different to what you find elsewhere but not POOR holes in the least. If you want to play a boring course with easy holes that you just bang down a drive and then chip on to a flat green and always have a flat putt, Millbrook is not the place to go.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

bedford is hardly a hot bed for good golf courses though is it. I’ve not played the place so can’t judge it but when I looked at the holes after our chat last week I did think the 1st looked like a pretty poor hole, along with that par 5 with the 2 trees

D

Deleted member 15344

I beg to differ. The greens are all excellent. They wouldn’t play county championships and inter-county matches there if it was as poor as you make out. As for the holes you mention they are different to what you find elsewhere but not POOR holes in the least. If you want to play a boring course with easy holes that you just bang down a drive and then chip on to a flat green and always have a flat putt, Millbrook is not the place to go.

Hosting county champs isn’t all it’s cracked up to be - a lot of clubs don’t want the hassle of closing be Course for a weekend to their members , and the inter county Scratch matches are normally held where the top players play so they are familiar with the course.

The first is the most ridiculous hole I have ever played - it’s just poor in every way from the fairway going straight into the dip and then faced with a blind shot straight up on the air - it’s as bad as the 8th par 3 at Chiltern Forest

The 11th is a poor par four another blind shot up over a big bank in front to a tiny fairway

The 16th par three straight downhill - you might as well putt it over the tee - you can’t land the green in the summer as it runs right through and it’s always rock hard and slopes massively front to back - you can try and land it a good 30 yards short of the green but then you are at the mercy of a bounce.

Some decent holes there but overall not a Course I would recommend to people

G

guest100718

Around Luton area ish

Ashridge
Betkhampstead
Brocket Hall
John O Gaunt
Woburn
Essendon
WGC

thats just a list of the more expensive courses in the area.

There are loads more than that.
Although being November most courses will be soft and muddy

Last edited:
G

guest100718

bedford is hardly a hot bed for good golf courses though is it. I’ve not played the place so can’t judge it but when I looked at the holes after our chat last week I did think the 1st looked like a pretty poor hole, along with that par 5 with the 2 trees

Its nice enough, a few quirky holes and some double greens. Does drain well though, which is nice

tough bunkers too

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Essendon might be an option for you, it has two courses (you might not get a choice tho'), I understand it has had a lot of money pumped into it and it is starting to show in the course(s) condition.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Cheers for the recommendations:

Just to clarify. It's just a knock about with a colleague and neither of us want to go spending over £50 for a round.
Given it's November, the weather wouldn't really justify the cost.

I'll take a look at the courses mentioned.

G

guest100718

Specifically around luton there are a few to choose from that fit the bill for a cheap knock about

Stockwood park -- Cheap muni
South beds
Aldwickbury park
redbourne
Mid herts
harpenden x 2
Dunstable

To name a few

There really are load of courses, all pretty much the same sort of thing, herts beds bucks doesnt change much

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers for the recommendations:

Just to clarify. It's just a knock about with a colleague and neither of us want to go spending over £50 for a round.
Given it's November, the weather wouldn't really justify the cost.

I'll take a look at the courses mentioned.

For that price then Essendon either Course will be great

John O Gaunt is around that price as well

Hammond’s End again within that budget

You wouldn’t go wrong with those